9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Si sedan and recently did the oil chance at 64k miles and decided to check how much oil came out after reading of excesive oil comsumption on 12' Civics and noticed that only around 3.5 quarts came out (i emptied the oil back into the empty 5qt container). The next day i went and asked the dealer i bought it from about the recall and got a paper saying that in fact there is a service bulletin for it but was told that i would need to have them do the oil change the oil ($45 give or take) and i would have to bring the car back periodically for them to check the oil level. My concern is that i have full bolt ons and tune (weather is kinda cold to take them off) but since it is a recall NOT caused by my bolt ons and since they did the first 36k mile service at this dealer and never mentioned any low oil if they would try to void the warranty? Im also past the 60k powertrain warranty any one know how long it is for recalls and if bolt ons afffect it?

·
Registered
830 Posts
That depends on how nice or sketchy your dealer is. It shouldn't void it, but ya never know what some dealers will do to try and get out of doing recall or warranty work. If it's just light bolt on stuff, you should be fine. If it's like a turbo and high performance stuff like that, I don't know. BUT, the recall is for all the cars with that problem, not just the stock ones.

·
Aluminium Member
2,080 Posts
If your VIN falls in the recall range they should fix it no questions asked.
If your VIN is outside the recall range you'll have to work with them.
Not all 12's consume oil. I have 80k+ miles on mine without consuming a drop.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i can have the dealer check the VIN? To have them do the warranty work? This dealer replaced my clutch and rear shocks under warranty and this is the second new civic i get from them. My other concern is how they will re assamble my car back, would i need a retune? And how long it would take for them to get the parts and do the job with all the holidays coming. I do like to anjoy my car and make it vtec thats the whole reason i got me the Si

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Normally I'd say to demand the fix without the oil usage 1000 mile checks like I did. But since you are out of warranty I'd just do as asked. It needs to use a qt every 1k for them to ok the fix. If your close to that I'd just drain a tad so they don't Hassel you before going in.

After the fix, yes you will need a re tune. I was also tuned before the fix and it ran like garbage on that tune after. Car was fine for the 45k miles I had it post fix FYI.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
my first 2012 burned oil. I learned that checking and adding some oil once in a while is a lot less of a hassle than doing the oil checks and the possibility of an engine rebuild. they rebuild the engine and solve one issue, then you end up with other issues bc the tech didn't know what he was doing. unless it's progressively getting worse, I'd live with it. just my opinion.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I wouldn't "just live" with any new car with oil usage. If I got a new car and it was using oil, they would fix it, or they would get it back. NO NEW CAR should use or leak oil.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I have a 2012 Si sedan and recently did the oil chance at 64k miles and decided to check how much oil came out after reading of excesive oil comsumption on 12' Civics and noticed that only around 3.5 quarts came out (i emptied the oil back into the empty 5qt container). The next day i went and asked the dealer i bought it from about the recall and got a paper saying that in fact there is a service bulletin for it but was told that i would need to have them do the oil change the oil ($45 give or take) and i would have to bring the car back periodically for them to check the oil level. My concern is that i have full bolt ons and tune (weather is kinda cold to take them off) but since it is a recall NOT caused by my bolt ons and since they did the first 36k mile service at this dealer and never mentioned any low oil if they would try to void the warranty? Im also past the 60k powertrain warranty any one know how long it is for recalls and if bolt ons afffect it?
My thoughts based on what you posted above.
First a Service Bulletin is NOT the same as a RECALL.
This repair is not a recall, it is not a product update.

What this service bulletin IS, is an exact repair procedure developed to address the problem, at minimum cost to Honda.

Here is the VIN range stated on the service bulletin 12-069 updated Feb2013.

Applies To: 2012 Civic Si 2-Door –
From VIN 2HGFG4A...H700001 thru 2HGFG4A...H703398

2012 Civic Si 4-Door –
From VIN 2HGFB6E...H700001 thru 2HGFB6E...H703802

If your car is "in" the VIN range, you might have a chance at warranty. If you are the original owner and have had all service work done by a dealer. Preferably the dealer that would consider doing the repair. That your car's mileage is beyond the normal warranty period will weaken your chances of getting a repair covered by warranty.

If your car is out of the VIN range; you're generally going to be turned down.
Also, having performance "bolt ons" will weaken your case for warranty consideration*, especially since your car is out of the power train warranty by mileage.

* The performance add ons imply that you probably drive the car hard, as in racing, which would disqualify your car from coverage.

From page 1. of the bulletin.

POSSIBLE CAUSE
There are multiple possible contributors that may
cause the customer to perceive a higher than expected
oil consumption. Talk to the customer about the many
factors that can influence oil consumption (see the
“Service Advisor” section of this service bulletin). If you
do not see any other factors contributing to the oil
consumption, consider engine-braking as a possible
cause.
Engine-braking creates a high vacuum condition in the
engine that may cause more oil to pass by the piston
rings than expected. This condition may occur on
vehicles with manual transmissions as drivers can
downshift and decelerate with minimal or no throttle
input. If a driver regularly downshifts to decelerate,
especially at higher RPMs with no throttle input, such
as driving down a long grade, or when coming to a
stop, the customer may notice that oil is being
consumed at a higher than expected rate.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
If you determine that engine braking is a possible
cause, replace all the engine pistons and the piston
rings.

Service Advisor:
Talk to the customer about the many factors that
contribute to oil consumption, such as maintenance
history, using the incorrect oil, driving under extreme
conditions, or other factors that can contribute to oil
consumption.
Remind the customer that it's not uncommon that oil
may need to be added between services. Modern
engines and oils can go much longer between
scheduled oil changes which makes it necessary to
periodically check the engine oil level.
Recommend to your customer that it’s a good idea to
check the engine oil regularly (as recommended in the
Owner’s Manual) and add oil as needed.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My thoughts based on what you posted above.
First a Service Bulletin is NOT the same as a RECALL.
This repair is not a recall, it is not a product update.

What this service bulletin IS, is an exact repair procedure developed to address the problem, at minimum cost to Honda.

Here is the VIN range stated on the service bulletin 12-069 updated Feb2013.

Applies To: 2012 Civic Si 2-Door –
From VIN 2HGFG4A...H700001 thru 2HGFG4A...H703398

2012 Civic Si 4-Door –
From VIN 2HGFB6E...H700001 thru 2HGFB6E...H703802

If your car is "in" the VIN range, you might have a chance at warranty. If you are the original owner and have had all service work done by a dealer. Preferably the dealer that would consider doing the repair. That your car's mileage is beyond the normal warranty period will weaken your chances of getting a repair covered by warranty.

If your car is out of the VIN range; you're generally going to be turned down.
Also, having performance "bolt ons" will weaken your case for warranty consideration*, especially since your car is out of the power train warranty by mileage.

* The performance add ons imply that you probably drive the car hard, as in racing, which would disqualify your car from coverage.

From page 1. of the bulletin.

POSSIBLE CAUSE
There are multiple possible contributors that may
cause the customer to perceive a higher than expected
oil consumption. Talk to the customer about the many
factors that can influence oil consumption (see the
“Service Advisor” section of this service bulletin). If you
do not see any other factors contributing to the oil
consumption, consider engine-braking as a possible
cause.
Engine-braking creates a high vacuum condition in the
engine that may cause more oil to pass by the piston
rings than expected. This condition may occur on
vehicles with manual transmissions as drivers can
downshift and decelerate with minimal or no throttle
input. If a driver regularly downshifts to decelerate,
especially at higher RPMs with no throttle input, such
as driving down a long grade, or when coming to a
stop, the customer may notice that oil is being
consumed at a higher than expected rate.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
If you determine that engine braking is a possible
cause, replace all the engine pistons and the piston
rings.

Service Advisor:
Talk to the customer about the many factors that
contribute to oil consumption, such as maintenance
history, using the incorrect oil, driving under extreme
conditions, or other factors that can contribute to oil
consumption.
Remind the customer that it's not uncommon that oil
may need to be added between services. Modern
engines and oils can go much longer between
scheduled oil changes which makes it necessary to
periodically check the engine oil level.
Recommend to your customer that it’s a good idea to
check the engine oil regularly (as recommended in the
Owner’s Manual) and add oil as needed.
Thanks for reply, you hit almost all my questions. The last part was explained to me by the guy at my local dealer i havent done the oil changes there since 36k miles but i bought all my oil filters and crash washers there and been keeping records of oil changes ive done. Ill just keeep an eye on the oil level. Its jus that other Si owners claim their cars dont burn a drop of oil, they never hit vtec or they live in denial?

·
Registered
830 Posts
The SI oil burning thing reminds me of the Kawasaki klr650 motorcycle. Alot of people were noticing oil usage in them from new. Kawasaki said it was normal. Yeah, sure....and every time I fart rainbows come out.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WTF? I thought only i farted rainbows :(

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Ill just keeep an eye on the oil level. Its jus that other Si owners claim their cars dont burn a drop of oil, they never hit vtec or they live in denial?
Well it is what it is, for each individual.
My experience was vtec cars burn oil.
Cars in our fleet were not babied; they were flogged when driven on a daily basis.
Best bet is always check the oil lever when ever you get gas. Top off as needed.

·
Aluminium Member
2,080 Posts
I wouldn't "just live" with any new car with oil usage. If I got a new car and it was using oil, they would fix it, or they would get it back. NO NEW CAR should use or leak oil.
Tell that to BMW LOL.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey guys,
I have owned my si for 4 weeks now. i bought a used civic si 2012 from a dealer in NY. upon driving 3k miles, i had to add 2 quarts of oil. i brought it to the dealer to run the consumption test, and it only came back that i used 3/4th of a quart in 950 miles.

Upon talking to the shop foreman, he was not bothered by this AT ALL, and said honda standards are up to par if it burns anywhere up to 1 quart per 1k miles. so theoretically, if i have to add 2 quarts every 3k miles, and then i am changing my oil every 5k, its like i am temporarily throwing $25 into my oil, then draining it, and filling it back up..........

i contacted honda corporate, they literally told me i bought a used car, not a certified used, whatever the f that means... and that the dealer is responsible for it. the dealer is looking to honda of america and honda of america is 1. telling me that it is perfectly normal to burn up to quart ever 1k, and thennnn that its the dealers problem...

has anyone read the v6 accord oil consumption problem? seems to me that oil consumption within the civic is common. why people think it is normal to burn even a drop of oil is beyond me... i think a class action lawsuit could be in the works... if anyone has any experience with this stuff, shoot me a rely, because i am doneeeeeeee with honda right now. they can have their car back. i want my $$$$

OH to top it off, my vin is within the vins with the shitty piston rings and they STILL WONT FIX, what!?!?!!?
on top of this my 1st gear makes a horrendous sound, that honda is aware of, but does not want to fix.... logical...

·
I Need A Vacation
13,451 Posts
Hey guys,
I have owned my si for 4 weeks now. i bought a used civic si 2012 from a dealer in NY. upon driving 3k miles, i had to add 2 quarts of oil. i brought it to the dealer to run the consumption test, and it only came back that i used 3/4th of a quart in 950 miles.

Upon talking to the shop foreman, he was not bothered by this AT ALL, and said honda standards are up to par if it burns anywhere up to 1 quart per 1k miles. so theoretically, if i have to add 2 quarts every 3k miles, and then i am changing my oil every 5k, its like i am temporarily throwing $25 into my oil, then draining it, and filling it back up..........

i contacted honda corporate, they literally told me i bought a used car, not a certified used, whatever the f that means... and that the dealer is responsible for it. the dealer is looking to honda of america and honda of america is 1. telling me that it is perfectly normal to burn up to quart ever 1k, and thennnn that its the dealers problem...

has anyone read the v6 accord oil consumption problem? seems to me that oil consumption within the civic is common. why people think it is normal to burn even a drop of oil is beyond me... i think a class action lawsuit could be in the works... if anyone has any experience with this stuff, shoot me a rely, because i am doneeeeeeee with honda right now. they can have their car back. i want my $$$$

OH to top it off, my vin is within the vins with the shitty piston rings and they STILL WONT FIX, what!?!?!!?
on top of this my 1st gear makes a horrendous sound, that honda is aware of, but does not want to fix.... logical...
Unfortunately Honda deems 1 quart per 1K miles is okay which is too much IMO. With that said the VIN# range within the oil burning issue is widely known and so is the 1st gear grind so should of done a bit of research before making the purchase. Because the car was purchased used looks like Honda corporate is pushing it on the dealer which kind of sucks too. How many miles on the odometer when you purchased? Not much you can do now other than pressing the dealer to replace the piston rings and tearing down the clutch if the 1st gear grind bothers you that much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
68500 on purchase. They want nothing to do with fixing either. It too happy at the moment. And this is my first ever car purchase, learning a lot after the fact but wish I knew about these types of things before. Put it this way I didn't know what a TSB was until a month ago lol

·
I Need A Vacation
13,451 Posts
68500 on purchase. They want nothing to do with fixing either. It too happy at the moment. And this is my first ever car purchase, learning a lot after the fact but wish I knew about these types of things before. Put it this way I didn't know what a TSB was until a month ago lol
Lesson learned. Do your research don't listen to the dealer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts