·
Registered
568 Posts
Fram filters are TRASH!

Reactions: 79537

·
Registered
568 Posts
Guess you missed the part that reads that with all that filter media that it only filters out 97% @ 20 microns where as th Pureone filters 99% @ 20 microns for cheaper than the Extended Guard. I stand by my post.

·
Registered
568 Posts
It's right there @ the bottom of the OP in your first link, that's not a manufacturer claim.

·
Registered
794 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Oil change questions and which brand to go with?

My dealer said I should have an oil change done at 1,000 miles to clear out any possible broken down metals. I asked if they had synthetic oil in the car and he said no, but I can switch to it when I have the oil change done.
I do my own oil changes so my first question is, is the 2012 the same as the 2011 as far as going about doing an oil change? Same location of oil filter, etc..? I havent found a diy on the 12 yet, but assume its the same as the 11 underneath.

Also, which oil should I go with Amsoil or Mobil 1? Only 1 store around me has the Mobil 1 in 0w-20, but I've read from some people that they feel Amsoil is better. Is there really that much difference? I do plan to use oem filters due to warranty concerns, but Honda doesnt have a fully synthetic oil, just a blend and I defiantly want to go full.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I was never told anything about an oil change at 1000 miles

·
Registered
218 Posts
hmmm, AFAIK Honda company spays the internals of its engine components with moly . Its best to leave the first oil change in there at least 5k or so .
Unless Honda does not do this on 1.5L which I doubt .

I would stay away from that dealer , all 0w-20 are synthetic oils and that is what all honda use now starting 2011 .

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
hmmm, AFAIK Honda company spays the internals of its engine components with moly . Its best to leave the first oil change in there at least 5k or so .
Unless Honda does not do this on 1.5L which I doubt .

I would stay away from that dealer , all 0w-20 are synthetic oils and that is what all honda use now starting 2011 .
Are you sure? I don't think they're fully synthetic.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
My dealer said I should have an oil change done at 1,000 miles to clear out any possible broken down metals. I asked if they had synthetic oil in the car and he said no, but I can switch to it when I have the oil change done.
I do my own oil changes so my first question is, is the 2012 the same as the 2011 as far as going about doing an oil change? Same location of oil filter, etc..? I havent found a diy on the 12 yet, but assume its the same as the 11 underneath.

Also, which oil should I go with Amsoil or Mobil 1? Only 1 store around me has the Mobil 1 in 0w-20, but I've read from some people that they feel Amsoil is better. Is there really that much difference? I do plan to use oem filters due to warranty concerns, but Honda doesnt have a fully synthetic oil, just a blend and I defiantly want to go full.
Well, you can't go wrong with with Amsoil... But first oil change on 1000 miles? I don't think so.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Honda does have a non synthetic and a synthetic blend. Mobil 1 and Amsoil are the only 2 fully synthetic that I know of. I think Castrol may have one now as well though.

I'm sure the dealer said what he said just to get more money, but if its really non synthetic in there now would switching over at 1,000 miles really matter? I really want to use synthetic. It will help with mpg. I know it did in my last car.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I was just reading up on Mobil 1's website and it says in their faq section that newer cars really dont even have "break in" periods anymore so to pretty much do what you want and change when needed. I still plan to change mine at 1,000 just because I want full synthetic.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My dealer told me to go with the maintenance schedule on the computer as they have a break in oil from the factory, just do the oil change when it's down to 15% from the 100% reading. I'm going to let the dealer do the oil changes for the first 20,000 then go full synthetic after that.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Chip you can change your oil whenever you want, it wont void any warranty. Now if you dont do it often and miss the required maintenance then thats when you void it. Doesnt matter if you do it 100000 times as long as you dont go over.

21 - 40 of 2792 Posts