9th Gen Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2792 Posts

·
Banned
251 Posts
Yup, but if you fail to do it at least as often as suggested, you will run the risk of Honda denying your claim when something happens that should be covered under warranty. Voiding the warranty is the wrong to say, they cannot void the warranty (generally speaking) but they can however deny your warranty claims. And they do in fact do that regularly. I was responding to the poster above mine.

Do the minimum, but do what is suggested in the manual. You don't have to get your maintenance done at a Honda dealership, you can go anywhere competent. You can do the work yourself, but it is often worth saving the receipts as well. Just in case something happens and Honda asks did you do have proof you did schedule B1 sub item 3 ? They won't pay unless they have to.

I had a h eck of a time getting them to honour their warranty regarding their paint coverage when my Fiji Blue '05 Coupe started to bubble and rust within the first year. It was then that I discovered some horror stories regarding Honda warranty claims.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Thats sucks. Sorry to hear you had to deal with all of that BS. I do plan to hold onto receipts thats for sure. Other then switching to synthetic I do plan to stick to the sced. and only use oem filters that way they cant say anything about that.
I've heard horror stories from almost every car maker as far as the warranties go so I guess its a matter of dealing with that crap that comes with them.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yes! I agree with you all it's better to get it done sooner than to be over the time they give you to have it done, that way they can't say you did not honor the maintenance schedule set by Honda.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Um perhaps, but generally if you don't follow the regular maintenance schedule, you can void your warranty.
In the US we have the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act: Magnuson

When the dealer tried to sell us a maintenance package I said I take care of all the maintenance and he started spouting off BS and I told him I was very familiar with warranty laws and shut down the conversation. Tried to say you have to use Honda brand everything, but this violates the Moss-Magnuson Act. Lying dirt bags I say, and that is being nice.

Better reading: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/keeping-your-mods-warranty-intact.html

·
Banned
251 Posts
I never said you have to have Honda do the maintenance. Anyone can do the qualified can do the maintenance, just save your receipts for your oil filters and stuff like that. Nor do you have to use Honda brand anything. Except when you do a repair, in which if you use non-Honda parts, you void your warranty.

I am pretty sure if you can't prove you did the maintenance, and something happens, Honda is not gonna pay for warranty claims that may be related to an issue caused by a lack of, or missing, maintenance. In fact, speaking with a dealer recently has confirmed this.

We have strong consumer protection here in Canada well, but if you don't open the hood for 60,000km and something happens, watch how fast your warranty becomes meaningless (obviously depending on what the issue is)... Things here are probably very similar to the US I would imagine.

Here it is straight from Honda Canada:
Honda warranty allows non-dealer work | Wheels.ca

Knowing that any car company will always try to wiggle out of paying if they don't have to (this certainly isn't a Honda thing), I generally always take my car to the dealership for regular maintenance, and I save every single receipt. I have for all of my vehicles, it is nice to have as well when you go to sell or trade a vehicle. But there is nothing wrong with going elsewhere qualified to do the work. Just make sure you do the basic minimum, that is all I was saying... :D For the sake of your Honda if not your wallet in the long run!

·
Registered
896 Posts
I asked college hills honda about changing at 1,000 and they said they recommend leaving it in and changing it at 3k-5k so thats what I'm going to do. I have the oil (bought Mobil 1) and have the filters (bought in bulk to save) on the way so at least I'll have everything. lol
I prefer using oem filters simply because I think fram etc.. are cheap junk. As far as the oil goes I have never used oem. Been using Mobil 1 for years now.
Saving the receipts is defiantly the best thing to do. Sure you can enter information on honda's owner link site, but even then how would they know you changed it and didnt just say you did.

I've had past dealers with other cars tell me the BS lies saying doing my own will void warranty and sadly there's tons of people out there that dont know any better and will spend $80 on an oil change. (Thats what I was quoted once for a synthetic change on my Mazda and wasnt even Mobil 1)
or they'll bring it to walmart and possibly drive off with the engine damaged from their work. I used to work for walmart in the past....not in auto but I used to hear so many horror stories. Putting in the wrong oil, not remembering to put any in, filters not put in correctly, over filling, etc.. of course I've heard stories about places like jiffy lube too.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Lol where's sew? He's our resident oil man.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
You do know mobil 1 is not a fully synthetic oil unless you use the extended performance. And when you start comparing fully synthetic motor oils, mobil 1 is the ranked the lowest. It burns up quickly in my EP3, but I'm not here to say which oil to use. As long as it works for you then great...

·
Registered
896 Posts
How is it not fully synthetic when its stated it is? I never read it was ranked last. I always read Amsoil and Mobil 1 were the top 2 and only 2 real true synthetic brands. The rest werent true synthetic. Where did you get this information? link?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The dealer I bought my car from offers lifetime oil change and car wash! :)
Is it a 9th gen? How much did you pay for it? I ask because the first dealer I went to, John Eagle Honda, offered oil changes for a year and in exchange they mark up the window price on their cars.

·
Registered
896 Posts
There's one dealer by me who offers the lifetime oil changes and lifetime warranty, but like you said Dan you see it in the sticker price. They wanted a good 2 grand more then all of the other dealers for the car. Obviously nothing is "free" or included. Just another sales tactic.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There's one dealer by me who offers the lifetime oil changes and lifetime warranty, but like you said Dan you see it in the sticker price. They wanted a good 2 grand more then all of the other dealers for the car. Obviously nothing is "free" or included. Just another sales tactic.
This is what the dealer closest to me wants for a '12 Civic Sedan. In exchange, you get 1 year of oil (Mobil 1 I think) changes and whatever the paint/fabric protection offers.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
How is it not fully synthetic when its stated it is? I never read it was ranked last. I always read Amsoil and Mobil 1 were the top 2 and only 2 real true synthetic brands. The rest werent true synthetic. Where did you get this information? link?
Check their Group ratings online. It's everywhere...I can't believe you fell for it like I did too. I'm also a former mobil 1 user ever since I started driving years ago. It's all advertisment. Amsoil, Redline, etc are true 100% percent fully synthetic oil. Mobil 1 is more of a Synthetic Blend even though they claim it is fully synthetic and there was also a lawsuit against Castrol. If I was to post up links on here it would take lots of space here. Just google it and you'll see it. Most of the other car forums have their input on it as well... But like I've said above, if it works for you then use it I'm not telling anyone to switch or use something else.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
yeah my tuner shop told me the same thing about Mobil 1, i was kinda shocked at first. Amsoil is good, what about Motul? i heard good things about them as well. My tuner shop has a oil called Schaffer (i believe is the correct spelling) oil and they claim it is great! anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
565 Posts
My dealer told me to go with the maintenance schedule on the computer as they have a break in oil from the factory, just do the oil change when it's down to 15% from the 100% reading. I'm going to let the dealer do the oil changes for the first 20,000 then go full synthetic after that.
THIS.

I'll be letting the dealer take care of all of my maintance until my warranty period is over at 30,000 miles. Then I'm going full synthetic 0w-20 Mobil 1 every 5k.

Just follow the maintenance info on your i-Mid which I beleive is pretty much an oil change every 7,500 miles.

·
Registered
848 Posts
For the first oil change, I would recommend changing at 1,000 and advise that you use conventional oil instead of synthetic. Once you do your second oil change, using synthetic will be fine. As far as brands go, it's all goes down to personal preference. I usually use Valvoline for my daily drivers and use Motul for my track cars.

·
Registered
896 Posts
So I did read about Mobil 1 and I guess they have changed their base stock a few years ago. That sucks. I also read though that Amsoil isnt real synthetic either. The only true synthetic is some oil from Germany or some place. It said nothing in the US is true synthetic. I guess you just have to go with what works because theres so much this and that information out there that you never know what to believe.

JDM, I've asked several Honda service centers this last week and all said to change it at 3 or 5k or just follow the cars mant. sced. and that changing the oil at 1k is useless. The only one who said to change it at 1k was the salesman who sold me the car. I think I believe the service guys more. The manual even states that you can use full synthetic oil right away so theres no need to wait to use it. The engines are made to use it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
For the first oil change, I would recommend changing at 1,000 and advise that you use conventional oil instead of synthetic.
Why?

41 - 60 of 2792 Posts