9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I recently viewed a youtube video where the guy cut apart 6 different oil filters. The Wix & NAPA Gold filters, he rated the highest. The base Fram filter was rated at the bottom of the list, but the ToughGuard & ExtraGuard Fram filters get pretty good ratings from others. Bye the way, Honeywell manufacturers both the Honda OEM filters & the Fram filters. I use Wix filters on both my Hondas.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Would it be ok if I use 3rd party oil filter instead of OEM for example FRAM?
the new OEM honda filter is not as good as the previous version. There are numerous videos on which oil filters are good and bad on YouTube. From what I've gathered, go with a premium oil filter. I'm going with HAMP oil filters (JDM OEM filters made in USA).

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've never seen/heard this; wondering how recent is your information regarding who makes filters from Honda?
There's a video on YouTube comparing the 2 OEM Honda oil filters. I believe it's still the same manufacturer. Only the low grade Fram filters are bad, seems the higher end ones are good to go.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've never seen/heard this; wondering how recent is your information regarding who makes filters from Honda?
I purchased this from Amazon on 8/29/19 & I'm sure the OEM Honda filters get the job done, but after watching several of the Youtube vids, I have switched to Wix.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I purchased this from Amazon on 8/29/19 & I'm sure the OEM Honda filters get the job done, but after watching several of the Youtube vids, I have switched to Wix. View attachment 490883
Seems like Wix, royal purple, and amsoil are constructed identically with the amount of holes up top and the metal back filter element. Seems like K&N, mobil1, and those alike are a good choice also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After watching some of the youtube videos I decided to purchased wix #57356 online in 6 packs, so we'll see how it goes when I put it on. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fram had a great advertising agency that came up with the "You can pay me now, or pay me later" commercial that premiered during a NFL football game (in the late '60s/early 70s) and the brand took off. Personally, I'd stay away from Fram - independent tests rank them pretty low (as noted above).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used to buy Fram for my first car which was a 1988 Thunderbird 😅 I was a big John Force fan, and I remember him doing a commercial for FRAM. But like 15WhiteSi said, I too saw the YouTube video of oil filters being cut open and doing a comparison. And FRAM is one of the worst. Personally, I just let my Dealership do my oil changes because the Honda oil filter is the best. They have a special valving thing that the other filters don’t really have. If you want to go 3rd party go with WIX or NAPA Gold.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I stand corrected on the manufacturer of Honda OEM oil filters. According to my reliable contact at Honda.
He confirms that Honeywell does indeed make OEM oil filters for Honda.
With a wink he commented it probably could be traced back to a chinese supply source...

side note: this new forum format sucks that they removed the ability to enlarge and change color of text.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I stand corrected on the manufacturer of Honda OEM oil filters. According to my reliable contact at Honda.
He confirms that Honeywell does indeed make OEM oil filters for Honda.
With a wink he commented it probably could be traced back to a chinese supply source...

side note: this new forum format sucks that they removed the ability to enlarge and change color of text.
Yea, very unfortunate.

If wanting to stay with a Honda filter, I'd recommend HAMP filter. Made in the US and they are exported to Japan and are OEM Honda filters for them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've tried to find the HAMP filters, but it seems that no-one keeps them in stock.
I feel lucky to have found a seller of Honda PLM-15400-A01 filters (the old style made by FILTECH) on Amazon, so I ordered 10 of them (about $13.50US a piece) so hopefully that comes through. They are getting very hard to find now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've tried to find the HAMP filters, but it seems that no-one keeps them in stock.
I feel lucky to have found a seller of Honda PLM-15400-A01 filters (the old style made by FILTECH) on Amazon, so I ordered 10 of them (about $13.50US a piece) so hopefully that comes through. They are getting very hard to find now.
team3d sells them or if you google FKX racing. They seem to have them in stock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts