9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Which engine oil filter do you prefer to buy? What is your argument?

• OEM

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • FRAM

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Quaker State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mobil

• K&N

• WIX

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've been using OEM since I can get them in packs. I don't think you can go wrong with a good brand though. I think there's an oil thread and users are opting for NAPA.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I've been using OEM since I can get them in packs. I don't think you can go wrong with a good brand though. I think there's an oil thread and users are opting for NAPA.
Napa filters are made by wix. That's all I've used for my past 3 cars.

·
Registered
73 Posts
On my 2012 I used fram no problems since. Any brand is fine to me as long you change them on time. My 2015 gets changed at Honda with no bill. Oh and look into a magnetic drain plug, that helps a lot. I have a Blox magnetic drain plug.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,357 Posts
There was a report done many years ago where a base Fram oil filter, along with some others, was cut open. It's innards were sub-par, to say the least.

I don't know if they have been improved, or there are better Fram versions, but there are so many choices available that I stay away from Fram.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Youtube search oil filter comparison. There is a TON of information out there about oil filters. I personally use HAMP oil filters.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,357 Posts
Youtube search oil filter comparison. There is a TON of information out there about oil filters. I personally use HAMP oil filters.
A good suggestion, as oil filters are not Civic-specific.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Bounced around using K&N, Mobile 1 and Wix. Can't go wrong with those. I didn't know Quaker State has oil filters. Stay far, far away from Fram.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I saw this video last year , so it's Gold napa filter for me !

Honda Oil Filter Comparison - OEM vs. Wix vs. FRAM

·
Registered
2013 ex coupe 5 speed manual
65 Posts
Yes, the honda filters ending with a02 are fram. If you can find the a01 filters, then get those. They are hastings, I believe. Personally, I just buy whatever I feel like buying. The fram ultra is actually one of the best filters ever made, but for our economy cars, it doesn't matter much as long as the oil is changed regularly. A lot of critics compare the adbv of the various filters, but it doesn't matter if the filter is mounted with the open side facing up! I like to look on rockauto and buy whatever filter I can get for around $3. I have tried all the frams, purolators, supertech, and some bosch, mann, honda, ecogard, pro tec, and more. They all work fine. Just make sure you don't accidentally double gasket it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I visited my local Honda dealer and found that OEM ...-003 filter (Made in Japan) costs $ 12 CAD. I purchased this one and installed today.
I am using Mobil1 0w20 and will change the engine oil in 5,000 km.

By the way, I replaced the transmission filter today as well. I have some pictures for you guys.
If you are interested, please review my thread Civic 2013 - 2-3 Gear - Transmission Shudder

Attachments

·
Registered
898 Posts
Fram Ultra for me.. 404k km later, still runs fine, doesn't take a drop of oil and still makes 202whp..

Marko!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts