9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a european Honda Civic 1.8L 70k Km. Did an oil change myself a year ago when I got it (did 8000 km from then) and I have used a honda 0w-20 oil. The recomended oil type for my care is 0w-20 (I live in Denmark)
Fluid Rectangle Liquid Font Gas

I noticed that it consumed the oil, so in 3000 Km I had to ad maybe 200ml of oil and just now the low oil indicator popped out :(
I do like to rev it from time to time for a brief period (about once a week :D) and also almost all my daily drives are 15-20 min max if that matters
Is the oil consumption normal or should I try a different oil brand ? Idealy a car with this low mileage shouldn't consume oil with such a small motor :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a 2012 si with 65k and in between my oil changes I put probably 2L of oil in. No leaks or anything, I think it burns it all off (sure hope so at least). My oil light doesn't come on even when it's under the level markings but it does when I turn too hard to the left it and it's getting low. I use mobil1 0w-20 btw. It's been like that for 3 years now.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
In the US an oil consumption rate of 1 quart used for every 1,000 to 3,000 miles is considered within industry standards.
If you flog the engine, it will use oil.
According to your figures above your engine falls within accepted consumption rate.

pg255 in the 2012 civic owner's manual recommends checking engine oil level each time you fill the fuel tank.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so it looks like the oil consumption is normal.
Now im really confused with the oil type I can use since I cant get the Honda 2.0 oil I used before
My manual says to use Honda oil or ACEA A1/B1 or A3/B3 or A5/B5
With viscosity 0w-20 and if thats not available to use 0w-30 or 5w-30

For ACEA A5/B5 my options are:
Gas Rectangle Auto part Service Metal

or

Liquid Fluid Bottle Automotive care Service

or I can get a 0w-20 but its a C5 Oil
Wheel Tire Sports equipment Automotive tire Gas

Which one should I choose ?

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'd give 0w30 a try. That's what i use (0w30\5w30) in my Si during Summer.

Marko!

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
With viscosity 0w-20 and if thats not available to use 0w-30 or 5w-30
Which one should I choose ?
From the flag in your profile looks like you are in Denmark.
In that case I would only use 0w20; any full or semi synthetic oil is fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the flag in your profile looks like you are in Denmark.
In that case I would only use 0w20; any full or semi synthetic oil is fine.
shouldnt 0w-20 be used in really cold weathers ? we get -10 Celsius max in winter and we can also get +33 Celsius in summer

·
I Need A Vacation
14,119 Posts
I got a 2012 si with 65k and in between my oil changes I put probably 2L of oil in. No leaks or anything, I think it burns it all off (sure hope so at least). My oil light doesn't come on even when it's under the level markings but it does when I turn too hard to the left it and it's getting low. I use mobil1 0w-20 btw. It's been like that for 3 years now.
There was a known issue with early built 2012 Si engines of oil consumption. There was a list that was produced showing the VIN range of affected 2012 Si's. I don't have the info in front of me but if you search the forum the info should be readily available. From what I understand later built 2012 Si and all Si after that issue was resolved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts