9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I haven’t seen very many threads on this topic besides people saying 3/4th are gonna to eventually with FI

I’m running 9psi, i want to turn it up and know i need gears if i want to turn it up and have it last more than a couple months... if that.

Is gear x 1-4 kit the best option out there that won’t break the bank? I haven’t really seen many other options for gears that aren’t 4grand or more. I’m not trying to get anything crazy i just want to run 12 psi

·
Registered
114 Posts
So I haven’t seen very many threads on this topic besides people saying 3/4th are gonna to eventually with FI

I’m running 9psi, i want to turn it up and know i need gears if i want to turn it up and have it last more than a couple months... if that.

Is gear x 1-4 kit the best option out there that won’t break the bank? I haven’t really seen many other options for gears that aren’t 4grand or more. I’m not trying to get anything crazy i just want to run 12 psi
I've not seen anything cheaper than Gear X. The nice thing IMO is gear X fixes the big power first gear issue. On stock gears, 1st gear is useless unless your on a prepped surface and slicks (I've not tried, I assume). I raced muscle cars starting in 2nd on sticky road tires though.
The bare bones option, is to offer to buy stock gears from people who have upgraded. I've got the stock 1-4 in my garage, and at least 4 others on this site may have. This is assuming you can deal with downtime (12 PSI you should have a backup ride regardless). My 10PSI Civic Si, is a backup, to a back up Subaru, to my daily Frontier (which I'm repairing after a highway deer hit).
No answer is absolute in this manner. If you have a backup, and know how, swapping out stock gears is cheap if you can limit internal damage (Tow). Beyond that, Gear X is the cheapest I've seen for reliability.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've not seen anything cheaper than Gear X. The nice thing IMO is gear X fixes the big power first gear issue. On stock gears, 1st gear is useless unless your on a prepped surface and slicks (I've not tried, I assume). I raced muscle cars starting in 2nd on sticky road tires though.
The bare bones option, is to offer to buy stock gears from people who have upgraded. I've got the stock 1-4 in my garage, and at least 4 others on this site may have. This is assuming you can deal with downtime (12 PSI you should have a backup ride regardless). My 10PSI Civic Si, is a backup, to a back up Subaru, to my daily Frontier (which I'm repairing after a highway deer hit).
No answer is absolute in this manner. If you have a backup, and know how, swapping out stock gears is cheap if you can limit internal damage (Tow). Beyond that, Gear X is the cheapest I've seen for reliability.
Looks like I’m going gear x then and i have a 2012 civic lx that’s bone stock for a daily/winter car. I’m in upstate ny and my 15 si will never ever see salt, i drove it one winter when it was stock and now that the turbos on. Never again lol.

In terms of swapping stock gears every time... I’d rather just take apart once and be done with it

Thank you for the response it’s always appreciated

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also on the traction issue, that’s another reason i don’t want to keep switching oem

I’m still on factory continental all seasons which are at 4/32 (pretty much on wear bar) & 1st 2nd and sometimes even 3rd depending on the road... are spin city

I know gripy tires would help but i kinda have the mindset that more traction means more problems, i could be wrong about that. I just don’t want to start snapping shafts n shit

·
Registered
114 Posts
Also on the traction issue, that’s another reason i don’t want to keep switching oem

I’m still on factory continental all seasons which are at 4/32 (pretty much on wear bar) & 1st 2nd and sometimes even 3rd depending on the road... are spin city

I know gripy tires would help but i kinda have the mindset that more traction means more problems, i could be wrong about that. I just don’t want to start snapping shafts n shit
Man you've got to get some sticky summer tires! Breaking axles is really a issue with slicks and prepared surfaces. If your rolling, you can pick lower speeds. Alot more cornering grip if a corner sneaks up on you, quicker stopping.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man you've got to get some sticky summer tires! Breaking axles is really a issue with slicks and prepared surfaces. If your rolling, you can pick lower speeds. Alot more cornering grip if a corner sneaks up on you, quicker stopping.
Do you have any recommendations for me??

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do you have any recommendations for me??
I'm happy with my Continental Extreme Contacts. This is my 3rd summer on these, although they probably won't last the whole summer. There's a ton of options out there, next I want to try something in the 200 treadwear.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
893 Posts
GearX is usually what I see, but there is PPG, but they are expensive from what I've heard. Ask Reese on here to see what he's using, I think he built his trans. There's another brand, but I forget the name.

·
Registered
729 Posts
For the money, gearx 1-4 is pretty good...... this is what I run.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
for the money GearX is your best option. I went with MFactory for shorter gearing and they offer a 1-5 set under 3K. But I can't say I recommend them to anyone, 5th gear is very short. Shorter than expected.

but I also don't like how tall gear can make the car feel slow and dull. If I was to do it all over again, I would stick to PPG Helical, or get a 4.3/4.0 FD on the MFactory set.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GearX is usually what I see, but there is PPG, but they are expensive from what I've heard. Ask Reese on here to see what he's using, I think he built his trans. There's another brand, but I forget the name.
How do i ask him?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
for the money GearX is your best option. I went with MFactory for shorter gearing and they offer a 1-5 set under 3K. But I can't say I recommend them to anyone, 5th gear is very short. Shorter than expected.

but I also don't like how tall gear can make the car feel slow and dull. If I was to do it all over again, I would stick to PPG Helical, or get a 4.3/4.0 FD on the MFactory set.
I’m sorry i just seen this reply but i gear x will most likely what i end up getting. I’m trying to not push this to the limits and blow it up then build the motor and crank the boost and have to get a even stronger trans but we all know how that works..

i got beat by a FBO infinity q60 by 1-1/2 cars and i don’t want that happenin again..

currently peaking at 9psi stock everything (gears tires rims suspension motor stock intake manifold)

i will be getting the tires 15 si recommended in the next day or so

bought the car with 19k miles now at 45k turbod for about 6k and still on the same tires lmao

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
They’re a good choice. Gearing is a big part of racing. My gears are terrible for street racing in a way, but also a gift. I can do 40 rolls from 4th and only shift once.
@15WhiteSi does a lot more street racing than I do, so he’s a good guide.
I stick to the legal stuff, mostly. 😉

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They’re a good choice. Gearing is a big part of racing. My gears are terrible for street racing in a way, but also a gift. I can do 40 rolls from 4th and only shift once.
Copy that i appreciate the help and everything guys

mot would be sick to link up one day

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m going to get them tonight, had some to drink and know i need to pull the trigger so where should i get them from?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wherever is cheapest, or has stock. Look around, call in the morning if they have them in stock.
Your not breaking these gears at 9 PSI, even with sticky summer tires. Those tires will make a huge difference. Your not breaking axles unless your on slicks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wherever is cheapest, or has stock. Look around, call in the morning if they have them in stock.
Your not breaking these gears at 9 PSI, even with sticky summer tires. Those tires will make a huge difference. Your not breaking axles unless your on slicks.
I’m trying to run Atleast 12 but axion has them in stock according to their sight so I’ll order form there and if they don’t have them then I’ll get a refund and find somewhere else. Get it retuned then hopefully get to a dyno by the end of summer/fall...

been etuning theough e-tunez by Steve and he’s been doing good so far

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I’m going to get them tonight, had some to drink and know i need to pull the trigger so where should i get them from?
I got mine through an old friend of mine. His shop is called JJAutowerks. you can find him on IG. He always beats out anyone prices. He's not the quickest to respond all the time, but he's solid. I saved a ton on parts with my build.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts