9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2015-03-17 00.47.30.jpg
Overfilled my Oil today. This is a pic of my dipstick. Should I drain some or is this something that I can leave. I used Mobil 1 synthetic. 2012 EX Coupe.Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Banned
601 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
View attachment 293977
Overfilled my Oil today. This is a pic of my dipstick. Should I drain some or is this something that I can leave. I used Mobil 1 synthetic. 2012 EX Coupe.Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks in advance
If the level gets high enough to touch the crankshaft, it will splash around in the oil and make it foam up; the foamy oil gets sucked into the oil pump and causes oil pressure to drop; damaging the bearings.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Drain some. While you can add 1/2 to a quart when racing, depending on pan capacity, in general you don't want to be more than a couple oz over. Remember, the only correct reading is with the engine at op temp.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,984 Posts
Drain some. While you can add 1/2 to a quart when racing, depending on pan capacity, in general you don't want to be more than a couple oz over. Remember, the only correct reading is with the engine at op temp.
Also when you check oil make sure you check when your car is sitting on a flat surface not on an incline or decline see so many people check oil when they are on a slope.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,596 Posts
How do you overfill it its 4 quarts. Mobil one is garbage I would never use it.
Please take this particular discussion to the Oil Faq thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good to hear:)
drained some via oil filter now all is well. Thanks for the feedback
Hi, I’m currently having the same issue, my engine got really hot and there were some bubbles that formed. Did you happen to get the same symptoms when you overfilled? If so, by changing the oil completely made it return back to normal? I’m really worried about my car and hoping that changing oil would fix it. Thank you!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,596 Posts
Hi, I’m currently having the same issue, my engine got really hot and there were some bubbles that formed. Did you happen to get the same symptoms when you overfilled? If so, by changing the oil completely made it return back to normal? I’m really worried about my car and hoping that changing oil would fix it. Thank you!
From what I could make of this, it sounds like two different issues.

Where did you see the bubbles? Once the oil is in the engine it isn't exactly visible.

And if you over-filled, just drain some. You do not need to do an oil change unless the car is due for one..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts