9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 3.5 " K-tuned short ram intake with a velocity stack, and I replaced the stock spark plugs with NGK Ruthenium HX spark plugs. Shortly after replacing the plugs I got the P0171, which I looked up and it's saying it's running lean/not enough oxygen sensed in the exhaust. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a fix for this, or an upgrade that needs to be done to solve the issue? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
So I have a 3.5 " K-tuned short ram intake with a velocity stack, and I replaced the stock spark plugs with NGK Ruthenium HX spark plugs. Shortly after replacing the plugs I got the P0171, which I looked up and it's saying it's running lean/not enough oxygen sensed in the exhaust. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a fix for this, or an upgrade that needs to be done to solve the issue? Thanks in advance!
Good luck with effecting a repair with the mods listed above.
It's telling that Honda in the troubleshooting NOTE: section asks about after market fuel sysetm.
Best I can help you with is to check the MAF sensor for debris or contamination.
Beyond that you'll likely need a Honda HDS or laptop computer with HDS software and interface.

DTC P0171: Fuel System Too Lean
NOTE:
Before you troubleshoot, record all freeze data and any on-board snapshot, and review the general troubleshooting information.
Do not clear the DTC or reset the ECM before beginning this troubleshooting procedure until instructed to clear it. Clearing the DTC or resetting the ECM can delete valuable diagnostic information, even if the on-board snapshot and the freeze data is saved.
Inspect for aftermarket fuel system and engine components before beginning troubleshooting.
If any of the DTCs listed below are stored at the same time as DTC P0171, troubleshoot those DTCs first, then recheck for P0171.
P0101, P0102, P0103: MAF sensor
P0106, P0107, P0108: MAP sensor
P0133, P1172, P1157, P2238, P2252, P2A00: A/F sensor (Sensor 1)
P0134, P0135: A/F sensor (Sensor 1) heater
P0137, P0138, P0139, P2270: Secondary HO2S (Sensor 2)
P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204: Fuel injector
P0141: Secondary HO2S (Sensor 2) heater
P0443, P0496: EVAP canister purge valve
P2646, P2647, P2648, P2649: VTEC system

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Is the car tuned? Running a 3.5" intake on stock ecu will certainly throw a code.

Also, just a FYI lean would mean too much oxygen (not enough fuel)

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the car tuned? Running a 3.5" intake on stock ecu will certainly throw a code.

Also, just a FYI lean would mean too much oxygen (not enough fuel)

No it isn't tuned, do I need to buy a Hondata Pro? Or is there another way? I haven't been able to find any tuning shops in my area.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Hondata flashpro is most common. Ktuner is another option.
You can have the car etuned if there is no local tuners to you.

There is a while ecu tuning section on this site you can check out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts