9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Today while pumping fuel, i was getting the bugs off my front bumper, and got a black mark from the rubber. Tried rubbing it off with a paper towel, got it off, but in one spot i guess i pressed too hard and got a small piece of paint off the bumper. So it looks like a rock chip. Since my car is white, you can see it very clearly. Any good methods to cover that? Maybe touch up paint or something?

·
Banned
89 Posts
honda touch up paint, your local dealer should have it in stock
Probably your best bet. I'm going to pick up some touch up paint for myself tomorrow along with a Turtle Wax scratch repair kit.

Good luck with the fix and let us know how it turns out :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
896 Posts
9g hit it right on the ball. Someone read my post about the repair kit. lol
The touch up paint is cheap and is defiantly what you are going to have to do first.
You could just get a bottle of clear coat too and some sand paper instead of buying the turtle wax kit, but you never know how good the sand paper will be. The kit comes with pads that work well and work evenly.

Also a good word of advice. Never use paper towels on the paint. Most can contain harsh abrasives that can cause even more scratches. It could easily be what took your paint off. Only use a micro fiber towels or terry cloth to wipe anything off. I always leave one in the car just in case. Its just like sunglasses. If you use paper towels on the lenses, you'll scratch them.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
There is a product called Paint Blob Eliminator that is supposed to be used in combination with auto touch up paint.
I had it for my old car, but traded it before i used it. I noticed 3 chips down the side of the car the other day. After i wash it im planning to try it...this weekend or next.

What it does it eat up the "blob" often left by touch up paints, like a thinner. but its formulated for touch up paint, so wont thin or ruin the clear coat or paint that's on from manufacturer.
Its an alternative to sanding and polishing it out...depending on your experience with that. I'm a little nervous about both options but when i get to it ill let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
chipped paint!

Now I understand why ppl say Honda s paint is thin..I lifted my hood this morning and there is a small chip ! Does anyone know how I can repair this I have a tw Honda..anf how can I prevent this from spreading!?

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
Honda paint isn't any thinner than anyone elses .. Drop down to your local auto parts store and see if they have DupliColor in the bottle with the brush. The pens from Honda don't work that well.

Take the paint and using a round toothpick with the tip broken off dip a little paint "in" the chip. Not all over it . Do this a few times to fill the chip. If you use the brush uts too big and will glob the paint around the chip and look like hell.

Prior to dabbing use a little rubbing alcohol on a Q tip to clean out the chip.

If you wait till it starts to rust then you won't stop it. This will.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Chipped Paint

after washing my car the other day, i noticed that my paint got chipped off somehow. no idea how it happened. it's smaller than the size of a pinky, but it's still bugging me because this is a relatively new car. any ways to fix this? i called a dealership and they said it might cost around $12 to fix... but i sort of feel like that's too cheap, plus they haven't seen the car yet.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Honda sells touch-up paint markers for all their color codes, I bought one in urban titanium metallic for 8 bucks. With just one marker, it contains enough paint to touch up chips like the one on your door handle more than twice a dozen times.

However... applying the tip of the paint marker for a professional look can be harder than it sounds. If you wanna save yourself the time and effort of trying to make it look perfect, I would probably have your dealer do it.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Oh. Good to know. Well I'm going to find out on Monday when I bring my car in for an oil change.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine's worse. Anybody have an idea how much this will cost to fix?
(Passenger side, rear bumper, Crystal Black Pearl)

·
Registered
717 Posts
new cars has cheap paint jobs now adays. I have many paint chips on my civic si and i has only 4k miles on it

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
U should check ur dealer packages that came with the car. Mine covers for chipped paint as long as it's smaller than the size of a quarter. I have a few chips on my hood. I've already talked to my dealer and he said he'd cover it for me. Going to get it done with the next oil change :]

·
Registered
976 Posts
Get the proper touch up pen from the dealer. Well worth 5 bucks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same for me , got some chips at a couple of places, only 7ooo miles,polish metal, i bought the lil touch up bottle, but im concerned cause its too new to have already chips, as i see, im not alone....

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
the guy said it's a door ding. he told me about touch up paint, but i wasn't really interested in that. he told me the new part for that is $15. and then there would be a labor fee. i sort of want to get it done since it IS a new car. the guy i talked to also said that he might be able to let it go for free as a "1 time thing that the dealership does for me." which i found surprising since people on yelp said the dealership i bought it from has shit service.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I have only had my 2012 Si for a little over four months & I have chips everywhere! I love my car, but if I would've known it would chip so bad I wouldn't have bought the car or I would have spend the $1,200 dollars for the dealer installed 3M paint film protection. It's ridiculous! You breath on the car to hard and the paint chips off; not knicks, but chips! It's a bunch of BS for a brand new car with only 6K miles on it. Very unhappy with the quality of paint used :(

1 - 20 of 231 Posts