9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was washing my car last week. and I notice around my taillight on both sides that the paint has cracked and it’s starting to rust. I mean I’ve never take off the taillights or anything etc. I don’t think it could be From driving around because it’s a tough spot for a rock to kick up and chip it. Anyone else have this problem? What should I do about it. I have a 2013 si with 51k miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I would take the tail lights out and get a better look. To me it looks like that might be some residual wax.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I would take the tail lights out and get a better look. To me it looks like that might be some residual wax.
Wha im thinking too it looks pretty white and chalky. Try taking a small soft brisle paint brush and wet it and lightly wipe area. If it is wax that will clean ot right up, have to do that every day when a car gets finished being detailed and waxed, go around all the cracks of the car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it may look like wax etc. but you can see the paint chipping away and rust starting to build up, but maybe I’m wrong. So I ll try to take a better picture and further inspect it by taking off the taillights.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I know it may look like wax etc. but you can see the paint chipping away and rust starting to build up, but maybe I’m wrong. So I ll try to take a better picture and further inspect it by taking off the taillights.
I'd still take a light out and look at it. I can't see any rust in those pictures. If it is rusting, then you'll want to take the lights out and clean that up. I would imagine some touch up paint would work just fine, but I have very little rust experience.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ll let you know when I take them out. If it is rust should that be in some warranty? It’s not like I caused that.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I ll let you know when I take them out. If it is rust should that be in some warranty? It’s not like I caused that.
Worth a shot, but I doubt it. With all the issues Honda has had with paint who knows.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Id take the tail lights out tap of the area well and sand it down good and then just a couple coats of touch up paint and a couple coats of clear and should be fine and since its in such a small narrow area even if its not the prettiest job no one will really tell. I just checked mine and i dont have this issue, spot of bad luck there man

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Id take the tail lights out tap of the area well and sand it down good and then just a couple coats of touch up paint and a couple coats of clear and should be fine and since its in such a small narrow area even if its not the prettiest job no one will really tell. I just checked mine and i dont have this issue, spot of bad luck there man
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking considering it’s not really in a noticeable place. I ll just have to wait until it gets a little warmer here

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,092 Posts
This photo might be a little bit better to see the rust.
A straight line in a crevice . . . I'd bet it's (now dirty) wax residue.

If you don't want to take the tail light out, but want to check it now, spray something like WD-40, or just soap and water, on a Q-tip and (lightly) rub it in there. If it comes, off, you're good.

If you can't reach it all, at least you know what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A straight line in a crevice . . . I'd bet it's (now dirty) wax residue.

If you don't want to take the tail light out, but want to check it now, spray something like WD-40, or just soap and water, on a Q-tip and (lightly) rub it in there. If it comes, off, you're good.

If you can't reach it all, at least you know what you're dealing with.
I ll take the taillights off to confirm what it is. But I’m pretty positive it’s rust hopefully not, But you can acutually see the paint chipping away. I ll post another picture when the taillights are off

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
"But I’m pretty positive it’s rust".....just go to the dealer or paint shop and end the agony. It costs money to live in this world and most dealers honor warranty if it's covered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts