9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Paint cracking, chipping in weird spot

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Roadcourse 
#1 ·
So I was washing my car last week. and I notice around my taillight on both sides that the paint has cracked and it’s starting to rust. I mean I’ve never take off the taillights or anything etc. I don’t think it could be From driving around because it’s a tough spot for a rock to kick up and chip it. Anyone else have this problem? What should I do about it. I have a 2013 si with 51k miles.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Wha im thinking too it looks pretty white and chalky. Try taking a small soft brisle paint brush and wet it and lightly wipe area. If it is wax that will clean ot right up, have to do that every day when a car gets finished being detailed and waxed, go around all the cracks of the car.

#11 ·
A straight line in a crevice . . . I'd bet it's (now dirty) wax residue.

If you don't want to take the tail light out, but want to check it now, spray something like WD-40, or just soap and water, on a Q-tip and (lightly) rub it in there. If it comes, off, you're good.

If you can't reach it all, at least you know what you're dealing with.

#9 ·
Id take the tail lights out tap of the area well and sand it down good and then just a couple coats of touch up paint and a couple coats of clear and should be fine and since its in such a small narrow area even if its not the prettiest job no one will really tell. I just checked mine and i dont have this issue, spot of bad luck there man

#13 ·
"But I’m pretty positive it’s rust".....just go to the dealer or paint shop and end the agony. It costs money to live in this world and most dealers honor warranty if it's covered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.