9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello! I have a 2015 Civic EX in the crimson pearl metallic color. It has 113’000 kms on it currently and was very well maintained by the previous owner. I bought the car about 3 months ago. However it wasn’t until recently that I noticed the car had a few strange paint issues. For one in the trunk jams by the windshield there are flakes coming off in random places. As well in the gas tank there is some paint coming off as well. Should I just touch up the paint with a paint pen? I’ll probably end up selling the car in 1.5 years when my loan is up anyways so it’s not a huge deal I just don’t want any corrosion to start happening while I own it
Liquid Automotive lighting Water Fluid Automotive tire

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Vehicle door

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Material property

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no it hasn’t been in an accident, there’s also some on the front frame rails, and where the car gets jacked up. It’s super wierd

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
47 Posts
You've probably already checked, but does the paint code in the doorjamb match your cars current color?

If you are only worried about corrosion, a paint-pen should do. If they aren't easily visible spots, you could always just put some wax or compound on it to seal it up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
hello! I have a 2015 Civic EX in the crimson pearl metallic color. It has 113’000 kms on it currently and was very well maintained by the previous owner. I bought the car about 3 months ago. However it wasn’t until recently that I noticed the car had a few strange paint issues. For one in the trunk jams by the windshield there are flakes coming off in random places. As well in the gas tank there is some paint coming off as well. Should I just touch up the paint with a paint pen? I’ll probably end up selling the car in 1.5 years when my loan is up anyways so it’s not a huge deal I just don’t want any corrosion to start happening while I own it
wife has the exact same year / model and color, and not seeing this.

the eco paint is crap on the late model hondas, if there is nothing on the carfax there is likely an undocumented incident on this vehicle.

I would check with the dealer just in case, to see if there were issues reported with paint flaking for this year / color.

The areas where the paint is flaking off has primer under it the color looks like the Honda primer, so its not bare metal.

They are inconspicuous enough for a DIY touchup, once the weather warms up, you could buy a rattle can of paint matched to your paint code (sticker inside the drivers door near the B pillar)
tape and mask off the areas, light sand the areas with a 180 / 240 grit, clean them with compressed air, use some wax and grease remover or glass cleaner in a spray can to prep the sufaces, use a tack cloth, then spray the areas.

doesnt look like much clear coat inside those trunk drain channels over the seam sealer.
the window channel you could likely get away with no clear coat as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually have paint failure in the same exact areas, don’t trust people that are talking about an undocumented accident… the factory paint is just trash
hello! I have a 2015 Civic EX in the crimson pearl metallic color. It has 113’000 kms on it currently and was very well maintained by the previous owner. I bought the car about 3 months ago. However it wasn’t until recently that I noticed the car had a few strange paint issues. For one in the trunk jams by the windshield there are flakes coming off in random places. As well in the gas tank there is some paint coming off as well. Should I just touch up the paint with a paint pen? I’ll probably end up selling the car in 1.5 years when my loan is up anyways so it’s not a huge deal I just don’t want any corrosion to start happening while I own it View attachment 494855
View attachment 494854
View attachment 494856
View attachment 494853
hello! I have a 2015 Civic EX in the crimson pearl metallic color. It has 113’000 kms on it currently and was very well maintained by the previous owner. I bought the car about 3 months ago. However it wasn’t until recently that I noticed the car had a few strange paint issues. For one in the trunk jams by the windshield there are flakes coming off in random places. As well in the gas tank there is some paint coming off as well. Should I just touch up the paint with a paint pen? I’ll probably end up selling the car in 1.5 years when my loan is up anyways so it’s not a huge deal I just don’t want any corrosion to start happening while I own it View attachment 494855
View attachment 494854
View attachment 494856
View attachment 494853

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
47 Posts
I actually have paint failure in the same exact areas, don’t trust people that are talking about an undocumented accident… the factory paint is just trash
I know some colors are better than others for durability and longevity.
I have a buddy with a black 10th gen LX and the paint started delaminating within 6 months, my Crystal Pearl Black looks great outside of the unavoidable chips and scratches from highway driving.

It's also possible for a car to be repainted without an undocumented accident.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts