9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, two weeks ago, i took car into dealer for some maintenance. i happen to mention to the service writer that my hood is showing crows feet in the paint. it developed rather quickly to the eye. he looked at it...said it was definitely visible and went and talked to the service manager with pictures. i wasn't present for that conversation. while i was waiting, i googled paint issues for honda civic. i found the 8th gen issues (as our 8th gen had the issue and honda didn't honor the extension for paint issues even though local dealer notated in the computer that the car met all the criteria - except it was out of town for 8 months during an internship for daughter).

anyways, they sent me to their body & paint shop to get an estimate to repaint the hood. i did that and returned and they copied the estimate. the shop was going to email it to them, but, i didn't want to wait for them to do that or say they did and they didn't. i was passing the dealership on my way home from the shop anyways, so i know now they have a copy of it.

haven't heard from them yet. and searching around, i have found others having similar issues, mainly with the Crystal Black Pearl color. some got Honda to repaint, others haven't had as much luck.

just wondering if others here have noticed it or have it on other colors.

·
Registered
59 Posts
2012 CBP Coupe (California so the paint is of even worse quality) - I have had LITERALLY every panel (with the exception of the trunk) painted under the paint warranty extension. And the only reason the trunk didn't get done is because the paint wasn't checking badly enough when the car went in for the previous respray and I missed the claim window by the time the checking was bad enough. It was a giant PITA and took 3 different sessions because they would only paint what they determined was bad enough at that time. All said and done I was without my car for over a month, and wasn't super satisfied with the work that was done.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
same color....so, there's definitely an issue with the black color. i have a '04 corolla for my daughter that the paint still looks brand new on. it has spent the first 12 years of it's life in the Florida sun. i probably will be selling the corolla to a friend for his daughter who just turned and giving my civic to my daughter. but, in doing so, she leaves for college again in about a month - to Rhode Island. so, i have to get this resolved before then or hope they will have a honda delaership repair up there for me (if they approve the repair).

and this had me starting to think to turn my back to Honda in the future if they can't seem to get paint right on their cars. how can my 16 year old car look brand new and my 6 year old car have paint issues? the newer one has spent majority of its life in a garage where as the corolla has barely seen one.
20191026_141208_resized.jpg 20191023_171948_resized.jpg 20191026_141152_resized.jpg 20191026_141136_resized.jpg

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
You're literally comparing 2 different paint systems and 2 different paint colors.
Black retains heat much more.
If no one has figured it out yet,heat is what's destroyed the paint.
Some have had luck with proper maintenance and no crows feet or cracking,yes in California too, but if you just garage it and don't properly maintain the paint it will still fail..

Heat retention and uv Ray's destroyed most of the paint as well as improper paint maintenance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts