9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Photoshop Masta
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys. Last night I painted my fog lights yellow using VANS lens paint. I gave them a few coats and I noticed upon the third (last) coat they began looking a little foggy. I let them dry over night (9 hrs) hoping they’d clear up, but they didn’t. I put them on this morning and they lit up really nice (no pics), but I’m having trouble overlooking the “fogginess”. I’m really anal about this stuff, I take pride in my car (and work). My car fanatic coworker said, “they’re a little foggy, but they look good, better than I thought they would” (he’s not fond of yellow fogs), but I thought I’d get opinions from those who do like the look.

Should I clean them off with some paint thinner and redo them with less coats? Or is it possible that I just didn’t do it right, I allowed 25-30 minutes of drying time between coats, maybe I should’ve waited longer (?). Should I use some yellow overlays? I really want the “yellow look”, so bulbs is out of the question, and I’m afraid of the overlays due to them burning and discoloring, but I’d consider it if y’all think I’ll get better results. Thanks!!

FogLight.jpg

·
Photoshop Masta
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A bit foggy, but overall it looks nice
That's what my coworker said...what do you think, honestly, redo or leave em' alone?

I used this paint on my last car (Sentra SE-R) and I don't remember them being foggy, they might've been, my car was 2 years old before I painted the fogs and the fogs were plastic, not glass.

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts
I don't see any problem with redoing it if you are not satisfied... How many coats? Perhaps you could spay the multiple coats thinner.... Might take more coats, but could reduce the foggy look.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

·
Registered
947 Posts
Maybe a clear coat?

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
I can see the slight fogginess...especially with the crytal clear headlights. I would suggest a re-do as well if youre second guessing. It will bug you to drink til you fix it the way you want it. I haven't heard of the overlays discoloring. Are you changing out from the original bulbs?

·
Photoshop Masta
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see any problem with redoing it if you are not satisfied... How many coats? Perhaps you could spay the multiple coats thinner.... Might take more coats, but could reduce the foggy look.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App
Well I gave them some pretty light coats, about 3 or 4, I didn't pack it on. I'm pretty good with a spray can too. Maybe I didn't wait long enough for the paint to cure/dry before I added another coat.

·
Photoshop Masta
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I can see the slight fogginess...especially with the crytal clear headlights. I would suggest a re-do as well if youre second guessing. It will bug you to drink til you fix it the way you want it. I haven't heard of the overlays discoloring. Are you changing out from the original bulbs?
Yeah. I'll probably redo them. It's been bugging me all morning Lol. I just know I need at least 3 coats, I don't want a highlighter yellow, I want it sort of deep...and I know there's no such thing as perfect, but I wanna be damn close, and to me...this is far from that.

As for the overlays and original bulbs, no I plan on keeping the originals...I did read somewhere that the heat from the OG fog bulbs produce enough heat to slightly burn the overlays, causing some orange-ish discoloration. I saw one case where the person had them on for a mere two weeks before they had discolored.

·
Photoshop Masta
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's the best way to remove the paint? lacquer thinner?

·
Banned
217 Posts
yea man id redo them only cuz if you noticed and than your co worker noticed more people will and it will annoy you to death (im just like you with perfection) it would annoy the crap outta me if it wasnt to my liking.....did you give yourself space when you sprayed onto the lens?

·
Community Director
3,405 Posts
If you have done it before and it's clear, then you should redo it. I think this is eating at you bit by bit.

·
Photoshop Masta
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys! I just went to lunch and it didn't look too bad, but my buddy did say, "it's a bit foggy but they look good"....the whole "it's a bit foggy" is buggin' the shit out of me Lol

·
Photoshop Masta
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you have done it before and it's clear, then you should redo it. I think this is eating at you bit by bit.
It was over 6 years ago when I did it, I don't really remember how they looked...my Nissan fogs were plastic so naturally they were a bit foggy, not to mention the car was over 2 years old when I painted them. I'll probably just redo em.

·
Photoshop Masta
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea man id redo them only cuz if you noticed and than your co worker noticed more people will and it will annoy you to death (im just like you with perfection) it would annoy the crap outta me if it wasnt to my liking.....did you give yourself space when you sprayed onto the lens?
Yeah, the spray was very misty...it wasn't as direct (or strong) as a normal Krylon spray can, so I had to get a little closer than normal so that I wouldn't waste so much paint. The first two coats looked clear and nice, it wasn't until about the 3rd and 4th coats where I noticed the fogginess..I should've stopped at the 2nd. Oh well. Live and learn.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Alright bro, I know you said you didn't want to just do bulbs, and i completely understand, i was the same way. But take a look at these. I have them on my car and they are awesome! They are a super bright yellow and an awesome alternative to HID. Also you don't have to paint or do anything like that and you will love them. I have 8000k HID in my headlights and they give off a white look instead of a blue because of the yellow fogs. here is a link where i got mine

http://www.amazon.com/9006-Nokya-2500k-Hyper-Yellow/dp/B001587GVM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352327601&sr=8-1&keywords=9006+bulb+yellow

IMG_0847.jpg IMG_0848.jpg IMG_0852.jpg DSC00954.jpg

·
Photoshop Masta
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright bro, I know you said you didn't want to just do bulbs, and i completely understand, i was the same way. But take a look at these. I have them on my car and they are awesome! They are a super bright yellow and an awesome alternative to HID. Also you don't have to paint or do anything like that and you will love them. I have 8000k HID in my headlights and they give off a white look instead of a blue because of the yellow fogs. here is a link where i got mine

Amazon.com: 9006 Hb4 Nokya 2500k Hyper Yellow Head/fog Light Bulbs: Automotive

View attachment 13918 View attachment 13919 View attachment 13920 View attachment 13921
I had those on my Nissan....one day they started flickering, I checked and they ended up frying my harness, had to get it fixed, cost me a pretty penny! It SUCKED, that's why I've stayed away from bulbs, unless they come with a ballast and all that. How have those held up? No problems?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts