9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Is it possible to pass smog with only an rv6 p.5 downpipe on in California?
Back in the day, before the test data was instantly uploaded to the CARB in real time; possible yes.
Given the penalties for misreporting a smog test, for the operator; no.
The car will not pass the visual inspection to start, even if the car as a "tune" that fools the up and down stream O2 sensor data.

Additionally, you don't want your car on the gross polluter list.
Once on that list they will crawl up the tail pipe every year after...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back in the day, before the test data was instantly uploaded to the CARB in real time; possible yes.
Given the penalties for misreporting a smog test, for the operator; no.
The car will not pass the visual inspection to start, even if the car as a "tune" that fools the up and down stream O2 sensor data.

Additionally, you don't want your car on the gross polluter list.
Once on that list they will crawl up the tail pipe every year after...
The down pipe is hidden in a 9th gen, you can not see it, so would it pass visual? And what if i restricted my exhaust pipe to cancel out the down pipe?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
The down pipe is hidden in a 9th gen, you can not see it, so would it pass visual?
And what if i restricted my exhaust pipe to cancel out the down pipe?
Maybe I'm confused... does the down pipe have a catalytic converter?
If it does not restricting the exhaust flow will not effect the O2 sensor readings.

·
Registered
176 Posts
No definite way to say unless you get emissions tested with a tailpipe sniffer. But generally, any aftermarket downpipe (even with a catalytic converter) will not pass emissions. There are exceptions, but if the seller says that the downpipe is for off-road use only, or “Not for use on pollution-controlled vehicles”, it’s a good bet that it won’t pass.

From the RV6 website:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
The down pipe is hidden in a 9th gen, you can not see it, so would it pass visual? And what if i restricted my exhaust pipe to cancel out the down pipe?
The technician needs to check for the presence of a properly installed/approved cat.
Technically it will fail the visual. However,a tech that is too lazy to check may pass it. Guess you have a 50/50 chance.

BTW Im a Smog Tech

·
Registered
546 Posts
I agree with all the comments above. It comes down to the Smog Test Operator. If they look to see the Catalytic Converter and realize it isn't OEM, it will fail visual. After 2000, they don't use the tail pipe sniffer.

If you are tuned and have one of the two o2 sensors disabled, then you might fail as well. It all depends how the tune was written.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts