9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So my set up is currently fbo just need injectors and fuel rail and fuel pump. My question is if i am fully bolts on do i still need to buy a full kit turbo like prl kit staged turbo? Or i can just buy the turbo itself and get some intercooler and piping for it? Because I already have sk2 cold air intake, rbc manifold,sk2 3inch dp, full 3 inch catback. Because I've been lookin it up online all the turbos that are for sale are kits. I dont wanna waste more money and get the full turbo kit when i dont need the other things that are included to the kit "for example" the intake, intake manifold, downpipe etc. so i just wanna know with my current set up what do i need to buy, im not tryna get the kit because i can save more money if i dont get the kit. P.S ik that i need to rebuild trans and engine probably but i only have 66k miles so idk yet. Thanks for in advance guys!馃槉

Registered
So my set up is currently fbo just need injectors and fuel rail and fuel pump. My question is if i am fully bolts on do i still need to buy a full kit turbo like prl kit staged turbo? Or i can just buy the turbo itself and get some intercooler and piping for it? Because I already have sk2 cold air intake, rbc manifold,sk2 3inch dp, full 3 inch catback. Because I've been lookin it up online all the turbos that are for sale are kits. I dont wanna waste more money and get the full turbo kit when i dont need the other things that are included to the kit "for example" the intake, intake manifold, downpipe etc. so i just wanna know with my current set up what do i need to buy, im not tryna get the kit because i can save more money if i dont get the kit. P.S ik that i need to rebuild trans and engine probably but i only have 66k miles so idk yet. Thanks for in advance guys!馃槉
Engine, and trans build depend on boost pressure/HP. The trans is the weaker one of the 2.
Your downpipe now, won't work for turbo. Neither will your cold air intake.
You can buy a turbo, intercooler, and plumbing, and do it yourself. If you have the equipment to do it, it may be cheaper. I think you also must buy a turbo manifold.

If you having a shop do it, I'd call them before planning which way to go.

Registered
Go with a kit, you will save yourself a ton a headaches. Doing a proper turbo setup is not cheap but it's something you want to do right the first time.
Unfortunately that means alot of your existing parts will no longer work.
@9thgensifamily already mentioned it but you will be replacing most items including intake, downpipe, injectors
Also a good kit is going to include all the hardware, clamps, oil lines, etc that you need.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Registered
I agree with both; get the kit. With the kit, you know you'll have all the parts necessary for installation. Only thing you can really use is the RBC manifold and catback. Everything else, you're just outta luck. OR just go supercharger and only thing you won't use is the rbc.

Reactions: dpetro1

Registered

This dude made his own kit but he also had the tools and knowledge to weld his own manifold and he put his piping together.

Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
I agree with both; get the kit. With the kit, you know you'll have all the parts necessary for installation. Only thing you can really use is the RBC manifold and catback. Everything else, you're just outta luck. OR just go supercharger and only thing you won't use is the rbc.
Interesting. I've been thinking of going S/C or turbo. Honestly, I'd like to go turbo but then I'd have to deal with selling and shipping the intake and downpipe. S/C would be interesting to do, never had a car with it before.

Reactions: TypeG

Registered
Interesting. I've been thinking of going S/C or turbo. Honestly, I'd like to go turbo but then I'd have to deal with selling and shipping the intake and downpipe. S/C would be interesting to do, never had a car with it before.
One of the reasons why i chose supercharger over turbo. I've owned a few turbo'd cars and wanted to try something different. I can say this; I don't regret the decision. Power is instant no matter gear or rpm.

Registered
One of the reasons why i chose supercharger over turbo. I've owned a few turbo'd cars and wanted to try something different. I can say this; I don't regret the decision. Power is instant no matter gear or rpm.
Prices are about the same for a complete kit for either, too.

I see you have a 3" DP, I have the RV6 DP, which I think is half inch smaller. Would that be an issue?

Registered

I see you have a 3" DP, I have the RV6 DP, which I think is half inch smaller. Would that be an issue?
You'll lose some power with 2 1/2". Not a "end of the world" amount. I'd do my build, and keep a eye out for a used 3".

What kits are you pricing?

Registered

I don't believe so. If you look at Reeses Cars, he has the MercRacing TVS1320 and is pushing 350whp/300whp the RV6 DP and Q300 exhaust. If you want to maximize power, then go 3" all the way. But at those power levels, i don't think it'll be a major difference.

Registered
You'll lose some power with 2 1/2". Not a "end of the world" amount. I'd do my build, and keep a eye out for a used 3".

What kits are you pricing?
Nothing in particular. I looked up the Mercracing and it was around $4k. Makspeed and PRL kits around there, depending what turbo is chosen.

Registered
Nothing in particular. I looked up the Mercracing and it was around $4k. Makspeed and PRL kits around there, depending what turbo is chosen.
What I've seen and learned, people chase for the peak numbers (turbo), and not knowing the importance of the total powerband. I'm actually going to do a video showing 2 9th gens (my car is one of them) with same power numbers. You'll see the huge difference in powerband. In any race, I'm gone.

Registered
What I've seen and learned, people chase for the peak numbers (turbo), and not knowing the importance of the total powerband. I'm actually going to do a video showing 2 9th gens (my car is one of them) with same power numbers. You'll see the huge difference in powerband. In any race, I'm gone.
Millions of diesel engines, 3.5 Ecoboost, 2.7 Ecoboost, disagree with turbos only making peak numbers. These engines make more torque than HP, as they have fast responding small turbos. If power under the curve were true, heavy duty trucks, and semis would have supercharged diesels (these trucks already don't have to publish MPG figures).

If you put a 6262 J.B. (700hp turbo), just to run 12PSI, it's gonna get smoked by a supercharged Si at the same power level. It's about sizing a turbo appropriately, a 6262 is a terrible turbo size for sub 500HP.

If you want a 1,000whp si, with low end response, a supercharger is better. Your not waiting for a giant turbo to spool.

One thing not talked about, is parasitic losses, having to have higher boost pressure to achieve the same HP.
18PSI for a supercharger seems to equal 12PSI for a turbo. Both are fantastic, but the supercharged engine is under more stress due to the extremely high effective compression ratio of 24.5:1. The supercharger in this aspect is consuming around (or over) 100HP.

Registered
Millions of diesel engines, 3.5 Ecoboost, 2.7 Ecoboost, disagree with turbos only making peak numbers. These engines make more torque than HP, as they have fast responding small turbos. If power under the curve were true, heavy duty trucks, and semis would have supercharged diesels (these trucks already don't have to publish MPG figures).

If you put a 6262 J.B. (700hp turbo), just to run 12PSI, it's gonna get smoked by a supercharged Si at the same power level. It's about sizing a turbo appropriately, a 6262 is a terrible turbo size for sub 500HP.

If you want a 1,000whp si, with low end response, a supercharger is better. Your not waiting for a giant turbo to spool.

One thing not talked about, is parasitic losses, having to have higher boost pressure to achieve the same HP.
18PSI for a supercharger seems to equal 12PSI for a turbo. Both are fantastic, but the supercharged engine is under more stress due to the extremely high effective compression ratio of 24.5:1. The supercharger in this aspect is consuming around (or over) 100HP.
I agree with your argument........ I'm talking about same motor with same peak HP numbers (regardless of boost) 400hp is 400hp no matter what boost some1 is pushing (if the motor can handle it of course). Like when i had my EVO X, i was pushing low 20psi on the stock turbo, but 20psi on that turbo is WAY different than a 6262 turbo. There's a guy I follow only pushing 10-12psi on a turbo making same numbers as me, but I'm just talking about numbers. I still want to see a similar CFM turbo vs a super and see what kind of power they both make on the same motor.

I think ppl try to compare just a turbo with a s/c disregarding cfm rates, etc. I will be making a video and possibly posting about it on here. When MercRacing, Reeses Cars, and I were at my dyno tune at IMW, Derek (tuner) was showing us the huge difference in powerband at similar power levels regardless of psi.

Like every time I'm at a car meet or with ppl with boosted cars, I don't understand when ppl JUST ask, how much boost you pushing? That to me is stupid without asking what size turbo or blower you're pushing.

Reactions: dpetro1

Registered
Looks like someone already made a video like that:

I haven't watched it yet, just googling stuff and it popped up.

Eh, it's not that great.

Registered
Looks like someone already made a video like that:

I haven't watched it yet, just googling stuff and it popped up.

Eh, it's not that great.
Yea, I've seen that video. I'm not a big fan of centrifugal superchargers, no low to mid hp/tq. I should've cleared that up earlier, I'm referring to roots/twin screw style blowers.

I'll be making a video soon, but here is the dyno comparison with a turbo vs my car (sc) with similar power. Turbo is pushing less boost (~12psi or so and forgot which turbo it was), but my main focus is peak power because most people just go by peak numbers vs powerband. My car is the solid lines, turbo is dotted:

Registered
Yea, I've seen that video. I'm not a big fan of centrifugal superchargers, no low to mid hp/tq. I should've cleared that up earlier, I'm referring to roots/twin screw style blowers.

I'll be making a video soon, but here is the dyno comparison with a turbo vs my car (sc) with similar power. Turbo is pushing less boost (~12psi or so and forgot which turbo it was), but my main focus is peak power because most people just go by peak numbers vs powerband. My car is the solid lines, turbo is dotted:

View attachment 492147
I'll just wait for your video then. That one I posted was ok at best.

Registered
Hahahaha go to the comments of that video, people just roasting the guys for being fat.

Go check out TongMan's videos where his 380hp s/c 8th gen stomps out numerous 400/500hp turbo civics. It's because all that power is meaningless if you can only make it above 6k revs and especially if you can't hook it up. Don't get the numbers twisted. Unless you're running a sticky street radial, you're going to spin like a mf with all that tq that most turbo setups make.

@15WhiteSi I'm curious to see how far the motor goes in terms of tq.

Registered
Hahahaha go to the comments of that video, people just roasting the guys for being fat.

Go check out TongMan's videos where his 380hp s/c 8th gen stomps out numerous 400/500hp turbo civics. It's because all that power is meaningless if you can only make it above 6k revs and especially if you can't hook it up. Don't get the numbers twisted. Unless you're running a sticky street radial, you're going to spin like a mf with all that tq that most turbo setups make.

Those comments are funny. I'm a big guy but not that big.

Registered

so far everything is holding up. I might keep it at this level for awhile just to see how long it lasts. Once I'm ready to rebuild the motor, I will be upping the boost.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts