9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm normally on the 8th civic but my sister recently just purchase a 9th gen. My concern is with the stock alarm that she purchased with the car. I know the 8th gen stock alarm makes a double beep sound when the car is armed/unarmed but my sister 9th gen doesn't make any beep sound when the alarm is armed or unarmed. I questioned the dealer about the issue and their response was saying it was normal for the 9th gen and the alarm changed. I'm not sure if the dealer was telling the truth or not so I wanted some confirmation if anyone purchase the stock alarm. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea... pressing the armed button twice makes a beep noise regardless of alarm or no alarm... Just curious because the 8th gen, pressing the button once (arming the alarm) makes a double beep to notify the car is being armed. I assume it should be the same with the 9th gen but "supposedly" the dealer said they changed the alarm???

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Mine work same as Jesstzn described.

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
yea.. lights only on first push...second push and you hear beep that confirms

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks guys for the confirmation... I just thought it was kind of weird that the 8th gen civic stock alarm beeps within one press and the 9th gen doesn't beep until you press it twice.

·
Registered
160 Posts
ok thanks guys for the confirmation... I just thought it was kind of weird that the 8th gen civic stock alarm beeps within one press and the 9th gen doesn't beep until you press it twice.
my girlfriends 8th gen only beeped on 2nd press... not sure what you are talking about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since there is confusion, I've uploaded a video to clarify what I was explaining. This video is my 8th gen civic with a STOCK ALARM and showing the beep within one press of the button.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Since there is confusion, I've uploaded a video to clarify what I was explaining. This video is my 8th gen civic with a STOCK ALARM and showing the beep within one press of the button.

Are you sure you just have the factory alarm in there? I know that the dealer installed KARR alarm will do what the alarm on your 8th does. The KARR alarm is not a factory alarm, but an aftermarket add-on installed by the dealer as an on-site theft deterrent/starter kill system (more for older used cars). This system is the new version of the Prolock or Locktronics system is anyone remembers that far back. If you decide to buy it they put a jumper on it so the dealer remote no longer works, and if you decide against it, they put a disabling jumper in its place (I not 100% sure on this as I bought my car sight unseen and demanded that they not even install it when the car arrived).

The factory security system on my car functions like everyone else's here so far. If you click "lock", the doors lock. If you click it again within 5 seconds, it will beep. Clicking unlock once will unlock the driver door, and clicking it again will unlock the remaining doors.

If you do have the KARR, you just do a few steps to disable the confirmation horn beeps (something I personally would do as I'm in and out at all hours and my neighbors are light sleepers). Case aside, I think you have the "KARR" dealer add-on in your car and if your sister has the KARR in her car, it's either silenced or disabled (if it sat on the lot for a while) or better yet, the dealer she got it from just didn't install it at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To be honest, I have no idea what alarm they installed on the car because the alarm was already installed before the purchase as brand new (8th civic). I ended up purchasing the alarm at cost because I wanted it removed initially. All I know the alarm has shock sensor, door sensor, trunk and hood sensors. Possibly could be the KARR aftermarket system you mentioned.

What is the difference between the factory alarm and KARR alarm? My sister purchased the alarm from the dealer for her 9th gen so I'm not sure whether it was factory or the KARR system you mention. Is it possible to enable the confirmation horn beep if it was disabled?

·
Registered
67 Posts
To be honest, I have no idea what alarm they installed on the car because the alarm was already installed before the purchase as brand new (8th civic). I ended up purchasing the alarm at cost because I wanted it removed initially. All I know the alarm has shock sensor, door sensor, trunk and hood sensors. Possibly could be the KARR aftermarket system you mentioned.

What is the difference between the factory alarm and KARR alarm? My sister purchased the alarm from the dealer for her 9th gen so I'm not sure whether it was factory or the KARR system you mention. Is it possible to enable the confirmation horn beep if it was disabled?
AFAIK, the factory security system from Honda does not include impact detection so that would make me believe that you have the KARR add-on system that the dealer sells installed in your car. As noted in the owner's manual for my civic, "The security system alarm activates when the doors, trunk, or hood are opened without the key, or remote transmitter." there is no mention of impact or glass breakage as in older OEM alarm systems. Due to this fact alone, I believe that what you have is the "KARR Keyless Entry Alarm Upgrade Module installed" or something very similar installed in your car. This module is not like a typical aftermarket car alarm, it is patched into your car's existing OEM keyless entry/alarm and is typically activated by a series of events that mimics you leaving a vehicle (ignition off, doors open, doors closed, locks activated for example).

Unless your sister bought a DX, I believe every other model of the 9th gen Civic comes with a keyless entry/security system standard from Honda. If she paid the extra $500-$1000 for the dealer installed security system for the impact module/shock sensor (pretty much the only advantage to it for any Civic other than the DX), there should be a instruction manual included with your car's paperwork bundle that will tell you how to change the chirp confirmation as well as some of the alarm's other features. If her car is a DX though, I'm going to guess that her key won't have a remote "built in", and you will have to find out which alarm the dealer installed and take actions to enable the chirps accordingly.

Side note: if it is a KARR add-on system, the dealership I bought my car from mounts the LED under the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks for your response diocat. My sister 9th gen civic is actually an EX and there is a LED mounted on the bottom left of the steering wheel. From your response, more than likely the dealer installed an aftermarket alarm that integrate it with the keyless remote. My sister's 9th gen does have shock sensors but she didn't receive any paperwork/manual regarding the alarm. However, when I question about the confirmation chirp, the dealer said that it doesn't have one. I was just a little concerned comparing with it with my 8th gen.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As I'm not positive exactly what aftermarket alarm add-on is added in either of your cars all I can do speculate. Do you know what color the LED is in her car? If it is blue AND you know it is a KARR (even if it isn't you may be able to try anyways if you're gutsy enough, but it wouldn't be too hard to find the unit I would guess), you can try this set of instructions I have found on a different forum while I was looking into what this system was.

http://mikehmayer.com/stuff/xB/KARR 4040a.pdf

If you just talked to someone on the sales floor, you may want to ask the people in service or financing (financing fills out the work orders for installed options) and see what the installed alarm is (or who they outsource to and call them directly).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts