9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Does your 2012 Civic Si Burn Oil?

1 - 20 of 1346 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I remember reading on here a few threads ago about people and their Si's burning some oil. Well, my dad bought a 2011 CR-V and it just got recalled, maybe the same thing?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yeah I have or had some oil consumption, I'm at 1700-1800 miles right now and I'm still concerned about it even though I've talked to 3 Honda dealers and an independent Honda Acura mechanic as well as my previous Acura dealer all with ABOUT the same opinion on the matter saying it MAY be normal until 1st oil change which they all have DIFFERENT opinions on when that should be done?! I'm not sure really what to do or think? I'm trying not to worry about it, haven't checked dipstick in about a week and a half and we'll let's just say its still in the back of my mind....do I wait for 5K oil change, do I do it at 2K, do it when MM says to or what??? And well hope for the best as for as the consumption goes after which time frame I choose I guess???

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think that if you keep records of the oil changes and if you continue to burn oil, Honda would do something about it. I would hope that warranty would cover that.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
I have the answer. Change the oil at 5K miles. Drive the car. Check the oil, add as necessary and forget about it. There are much larger issues in life to worry about. The Japanese are literally the best in the world at manufacturing process control so there's no place else to go to get better quality. That's just my correct opinion....; ) Really, chill out man.

Reactions: tomjoad187

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Which motor was in that CRV?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the answer. Change the oil at 5K miles. Drive the car. Check the oil, add as necessary and forget about it. There are much larger issues in life to worry about. The Japanese are literally the best in the world at manufacturing process control so there's no place else to go to get better quality. That's just my correct opinion....; ) Really, chill out man.
I never said they were not. I have 4 Honda's in my family, and on our second Honda mower. All I was pointing out is there is an recall for a car with the SAME engine as the SI and people were talking about oil consumption.... thats all.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I appreciate the information and yes some have reported consumption during break in for sure. I think we do have different heads and other internals and the engine code K24Z7 is exclusive to the Si's so it may or may not be relevant. Our chips are quite different and most likely they have addressed the issue mentioned in the letter.

I read some people had a cold start chatter sound similar to lifter noise that could be the injectors misbehaving just as described in the letter and if one notices both symptoms I believe this would be a good topic to discuss with your local Honda Tech.

No chatter nor significant oil consumption here and mine was made in August according to the sticker.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I never said they were not. I have 4 Honda's in my family, and on our second Honda mower. All I was pointing out is there is an recall for a car with the SAME engine as the SI and people were talking about oil consumption.... thats all.
True, thanks and I agree with you and appreciate the information, I as well have had 7 Hondas between them and Acura anyway and appreciate the thread and nice to know there is a place to turn for answers, I realize this is a public forum but really no need for saying "chill out man"and "in my correct opinion" when others on here want answers to what's occurring in their "new" vehicles that are still under warranty, in my opinion there really is no need this early in the game to ignore anything that's covered under warranty, that would be ignorant on my part to just say "oh we'll new car has valve chatter excessively and uses oil, guess I should say screw it and make payments for next 5 years because I got MORE important shit to worry about!" I work hard for my hard earned dollar and just trying to protect my investment and make sure it lasts and runs as it should, not all of us on here are mechanics!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks like the engine in the CR-V is the K24z6 Anyone know the difference between the z6 in the CR-V and the z7 in the SI? I see the CR is different but otherwise, the stroke is the same. Just a different head? Any Honda Tech's on this forum that can shed some light onto this recall? Just curious is all.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I appreciate the information and yes some have reported consumption during break in for sure. I think we do have different heads and other internals and the engine code K24Z7 is exclusive to the Si's so it may or may not be relevant. Our chips are quite different and most likely they have addressed the issue mentioned in the letter.

I read some people had a cold start chatter sound similar to lifter noise that could be the injectors misbehaving just as described in the letter and if one notices both symptoms I believe this would be a good topic to discuss with your local Honda Tech.

No chatter nor significant oil consumption here and mine was made in August according to the sticker.
Yeah I have both excessive chatter at a "warm start" actually but also as well as down a 1/4 of a quart, little concerned but just keeping an eye on it at this point.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
True, thanks and I agree with you and appreciate the information, I as well have had 7 Hondas between them and Acura anyway and appreciate the thread and nice to know there is a place to turn for answers, I realize this is a public forum but really no need for saying "chill out man"and "in my correct opinion" when others on here want answers to what's occurring in their "new" vehicles that are still under warranty, in my opinion there really is no need this early in the game to ignore anything that's covered under warranty, that would be ignorant on my part to just say "oh we'll new car has valve chatter excessively and uses oil, guess I should say screw it and make payments for next 5 years because I got MORE important shit to worry about!" I work hard for my hard earned dollar and just trying to protect my investment and make sure it lasts and runs as it should, not all of us on here are mechanics! Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Couldn't have said it better myself! Thank you!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Yeah I have both excessive chatter at a "warm start" actually but also as well as down a 1/4 of a quart, little concerned but just keeping an eye on it at this point.

skyfox this is what I would honestly do if I were in your spot since the dealers keep feeding you the same excuse. I would change the oil at 5k then monitor the oil. If it continues to go through oil like it is now then I would demand a leakdown test and demand I see the test results. Just dont let the oil go less then half a quart without at least topping it off. If the dealers refuse then I would call Honda themselves, complain about the dealership and I'm sure they'd take action. Honda does have a twitter account thats very helpful. You could try asking them over about your issue there and see what answer they give you. Heres the link http://twitter.com/hondacustsvc

·
Registered
761 Posts
skyfox this is what I would honestly do if I were in your spot since the dealers keep feeding you the same excuse. I would change the oil at 5k then monitor the oil. If it continues to go through oil like it is now then I would demand a leakdown test and demand I see the test results. Just dont let the oil go less then half a quart without at least topping it off. If the dealers refuse then I would call Honda themselves, complain about the dealership and I'm sure they'd take action. Honda does have a twitter account thats very helpful. You could try asking them over about your issue there and see what answer they give you. Heres the link http://twitter.com/hondacustsvc
Thank you very much, that sounds like a good plan, 5K seems reasonable, may have to add more oil to reach that but we shall see, hope not but will head to dealer and pick up some Honda Synthetic if need be. Thanks for the link :)

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
True, thanks and I agree with you and appreciate the information, I as well have had 7 Hondas between them and Acura anyway and appreciate the thread and nice to know there is a place to turn for answers, I realize this is a public forum but really no need for saying "chill out man"and "in my correct opinion" when others on here want answers to what's occurring in their "new" vehicles that are still under warranty, in my opinion there really is no need this early in the game to ignore anything that's covered under warranty, that would be ignorant on my part to just say "oh we'll new car has valve chatter excessively and uses oil, guess I should say screw it and make payments for next 5 years because I got MORE important shit to worry about!" I work hard for my hard earned dollar and just trying to protect my investment and make sure it lasts and runs as it should, not all of us on here are mechanics!

I'm sorry you apparently don't like me or my philosophy in life. I will try harder to please you from now on. On second thought, not really. Like you, I have things and comments that I think apply and apparently unlike you, I have a sense of humor that I never apologize for. BTW, back to your first post about oil consumption. I would be concerned as well. However, not too much at less than 2000 miles. That's a new engine that will likely change in miles and time. That's my feeling and opinion. It's correct, for me. Take it how you want. Peace. I hope your engine quits using oil.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm sorry you apparently don't like me or my philosophy in life. I will try harder to please you from now on. On second thought, not really. Like you, I have things and comments that I think apply and apparently unlike you, I have a sense of humor that I never apologize for. BTW, back to your first post about oil consumption. I would be concerned as well. However, not too much at less than 2000 miles. That's a new engine that will likely change in miles and time. That's my feeling and opinion. It's correct, for me. Take it how you want. Peace. I hope your engine quits using oil.
As for my "like" for you or your philosophy or humor or sarcasm, not gonna get into that shit....as for the post, well time will tell I guess, I tend to agree with you on the age and use of the engine as its still "new" and it very well may improve with age and use, we will see, just monitoring the dipstick every other fill up at this point.

·
Registered
512 Posts
oil consumption update-my si sedan

Changed my oil over to Honda synthetic at 1150 miles, today checked level at 3000 miles, needed 3/4 quart to bring back to full.

·
Registered
512 Posts
how hard do you drive it?

VTEC motors are notorious for dropping oil if driven hard.
not real hard but sometimes i get on it, but i'm mostly slow stop n go commute M-F 32 miles each way to work.

yeah i know, My 02 RSX S burns more than that and has since the day i bought it new, now has over 215k

just trying to see what other people are experiencing so far (SI only), thanks man

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have 2500 miles on my oil and it is down...1/2 quart. Still on factory oil. 1st oil change coming.

1 - 20 of 1346 Posts