9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Popping sound from front speakers when unlocking all doors

49K views 170 replies 46 participants last post by  12voltcivic 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anybody else has encountered this problem. 2012 Civic EX with radio on when unlocking all doors front speakers make a brief poping sound. Turn off sound or volume off no sound. Just unlock one door no sound. Did this when leaving dealership. 500 miles on car. When putting car in park and all doors unlocking popping sound. Switched to unlock just driver door no sound. Doing it manual with door locks same thing. Sounds like ground issue. After researching seems past model year civics have had same issue with no resolution after bring it to dealer multiple times and replacing door lock act., amplifier etc. Don't want to go thru wild goose chase at dealership for nothing. Can live with it, no biggy.
Thanks,
Mar

#4 ·
I'll watch for it, but I haven't noticed it on my '12 9th Si coupe. I'd take it to the dealer.

On my 2002 7th gen coupe, I'd pick up some engine whine on the speakers ... some kinda electronic noise bleeding into the system somehow. I just ignored it, as it was fairly quiet. Never caused any problems.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Grounding most likely the cause. Don't have helms manual to look at all the grounds in car and what connects to which one. After reading about dealership replacing amplifier in car and door lock actuators and still having issue after this I will leave be. I will just have drivers door unlock automatically not all of them when shifting into park. Does not do it then. Oh well!

#8 ·
Thread resurrection.

My new 2013 Si does this, too. If it's "typical" or normal behavior, I'll leave it be. If something needs to be replaced or adjusted, I'd like to know that and go into the dealership educated. I DO NOT want techs flopping around in there and replacing my new parts with remanufactured crap on a car with under 500 miles on it, only to not actually address the concern.

If anyone has resolved this, please speak up with specifics.

#14 ·
I got 2013 Si and it dose it when I roll up the two back windows on the driver's side..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yes, mine does it with all-unlock on doors or rear-windows being raised up. I had it at the dealer already, who claimed to spend hours on the phone w/ Honda and they decided it was normal for the car. I call B.S. on this and say that there is clearly an issue.

Do you guys all have Navi?

#13 ·
I noticed the popping noise in my car too, and started a thread about it over at 9th civic dot com. One of the members there actually took his car into the dealer for it, and the dealer said that Honda is aware of the "issue" but hasn't issued a fix for it yet...

#17 ·
Not gonna let this one die out. I have seen that the 8th gens had this issue, too. I think the parts have changed some, but there has to be a root cause and a fix, esp. since it's only on Navi models....

What did your dealer techs say?

#18 ·
My 2013 SI Sedan with navi does the same thing. I’ve now taken it to 2 different dealers and have contacted Honda Motor Corporation. Honda told me it is a “characteristic of the vehicle”. Here is an email I’ve sent to the executive team. I would recommend doing the same thing so the problem gets noticed and they fix it. I’ve deleted out my phone number and name on the email.

Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:44 PM
To: john_mendel@ahm.honda.com
Cc: 'jeffrey_smith@ahm.honda.com'; 'koichi_kondo@ahm.honda.com'
Subject: RE: 2013 Honda Civic Si

Hi John, Jeffrey, and Koichi,

I received another phone call just now from Ray regarding my email being acknowledged from the executive office after I have already received a voicemail from him on Monday night. Please tell him there is no reason for him to call me and acknowledge the email only to let me know there is nothing your company is willing to do to fix my car. He said if a bulletin or recall is released I will be notified by mail and there is no way I can get a phone call if there is even a fix for the problem.

Please let me know when this problem will be fixed and I want to hear from someone else other than Ray telling me my email is acknowledged and there is nothing your company is willing to do. Thanks.

Jeffrey

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains information that may be confidential and/or
copyrighted. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately delete this email.
Use, disclosure, or reproduction of this email by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.

Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 9:07 AM
To: john_mendel@ahm.honda.com
Cc: 'jeffrey_smith@ahm.honda.com'; 'koichi_kondo@ahm.honda.com'
Subject: FW: 2013 Honda Civic Si

Good Morning John Mendel or Who it May Concern,

I received a phone call yesterday from Ray the Regional Case Manager at 800-999-1009 Ext. 117753 at approximately 5:30 pm CST. He stated my email below had been received and acknowledge. I was caught by surprise to hear from him and not Mr. Mendel whom my email was addressed. He then asked if I needed any other information and I told him no. After the phone call, I got to think about it and there is one thing I need. I want my car to be fixed. I don’t want any free handouts I just want this characteristic of the vehicle to be corrected. Please help! Do what’s right for your customers.

I have to take it back to the dealership 2 times before I can file a claim with the Texas Lemmon Law for diminished market value. I really don’t want to have the vehicle bought back, because every other aspect of the car, I love. Please Honda, help me and correct this characteristic of the vehicle!

My cell phone number is **. Call me anytime with any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains information that may be confidential and/or
copyrighted. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately delete this email.
Use, disclosure, or reproduction of this email by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.

Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:20 PM
To: 'john_mendel@ahm.honda.com'
Subject: 2013 Honda Civic Si

Hi John,

I just got off the phone with Ray the Regional Case Manager at 800-999-1009 Ext. 117753 regarding case # N012013061401104. I recently purchased my new vehicle a few weeks ago and noticed when I use any of the buttons on the driver’s door (lock, unlock, and power windows) that there is a static feedback through speakers and even at times a delayed feedback popping noise. Once noticed about a week into ownership I took it back to the dealership I purchased it at Jim McNatt Honda in Denton, TX. They said there is not a fix to the problem and there may be a future bulletin correcting it. So with the uncertainty and disappointment of owning a new car with this flaw, I called American Honda Motors and they assigned my case to Ray. After about a week of research I was just told that this is a characteristic of the vehicle model and Engineering Group knows about it. I asked if someone could look at it and if I could escalate the call. He said the next step would be the Engineers and they have already down their work and talked to the dealership so no need to see the car. I asked if I could send a written complaint he said yes but I shouldn’t waste my time as he will be the person to receive the letter and at this time there is nothing they can do. I asked if Honda would offer me anything… compensation, anything. He said no, nothing.

I am extremely upset and disappointment. If I know when I was buying my brand new Civic that this was a characteristic of the model I never would have bought it. I am a Toyota employee but I’ve always loved Hondas even trading in my S2000 for this car. I am shocked Ray and Honda would treat their customers this way. Something Toyota would never do. I just wanted to share my recent experience.

Jeffrey

#19 ·
X-Posting myself from another forum:

I just brought my car in to the dealership for this issue and similarly, it was brushed off by Honda as "normal". The mechanic that serviced my car told me he couldn't believe it when he called Honda and was told that it wasn't an issue as it was pretty clear to him. Unfortunately, if Honda is not willing to warrant the parts, he said there's nothing the dealer can do. He, along with my dealership, told me to keep complaining to Honda until they deem this as an issue for the 2013.

I live in Canada, so this was filed towards Honda Canada... not sure if it's the same with the US (i.e. Honda NA). Also, he added that the person from Honda said that they did receive multiple complaints about it... I guess it's not enough?

I'll do what you're doing here by submitting to Honda directly. If more than enough people do this, they'll cave eventually.

#20 ·
Hey guys, I just recently bought a 2013 civic si sedan w/ navi and I notice the popping noise. I told my dealership and they didn't give me any bs about its the characteristic of the car and they were willing to fix the problem. I'm currently in the dealership getting it fix. Hope the mechanic can fix it cuz it's really annoying when I roll the windows up/down while listening to the radio. FYI it's Honda of Berkeley in California.
I'll keep y'all updated if it gets fix or not.

#21 ·
Sadly they couldn't fix it and the service manager told me that he will open a file for my case and will keep me updated if any solution will be available in the future. I know it just bs but I hope honda corp will come up with some solution for this because as a customer to pay 25k for a car I would like my car to be new with proper functionality. This problem will hurt our resale value of the car and also for a 2k navi system, honda should damn well know that they should have it properly functioning. Hope the amount of cases happening worldwide with the navi system make them lazy ass realize that they need to fix this issue.

#28 ·
My car is in the body shop at the moment getting a new rear bumper cover (don't ask), but as soon as it's back, I plan to have it back in the dealer to fix this issue (or get an official case number). It seems simple... figure out where the ground issue is.... My suspicion would be in the amp wiring harness. Has anyone considered an aftermarket amp and do you think this would bypass the problem?

#29 ·
Gentleman, good evening. I currently work for a Honda dealership as a tech in the Philadelphia area. From time to time I browse your website(and others) for unusual problems. For me it's free info about potential problems I may encounter in the future, which will make my job of diagnosing/repairing easier. I saw this thread at lunch and decided to sign up and join the conversation, because I had a 2013 Si in my bay with this same problem. I figured that with all the problems/no repairs being performed, if i can return the favor and help you guys out, all the better. Especially since I had called Honda myself and felt the "currently working on it" answer was unsatisfactory.

6k miles with Navi. Whenever you operate the rear windows or the door locks with the master switch, a click/pop is usually heard through the speaker system. Figured right off the back there was an issue with feedback, probably a ground, as many of you stated. Of the 3 systems, the only common wire are is the junction through each door, but probably not a problem. These 3 systems share 3 grounds, but all 3 have a component that operates them. The 2 grounds are as follows. Ground(1) G502 is located on the dash frame, to the right of the speaker amplifier. Accessed from the driver's under dash area. Ground(2) G504 is located in the passenger's under dash area, up and to the right of the blower area. The third component is the MICU(under-dash fusebox) which distributes power as well as holds the relay's for the window/lock circuits. Each has the potential to cause an issue.

My direction of repair will be to clean/re-install each ground then test. If that fails, I plan on adding a secondary ground to each area, directly to the battery. While not exactly a proper repair, sometimes adding a secondary ground to a circuit can bypass it's weak points. I don't think there is a wire ground issue, or you wouldn't have locks/windows/radio etc. at all. Should both of those not work then the fusebox comes next. Unfortunately I ran out of time today, and didnt want to hold his car over the weekend. So feel free to give those a try if your mechanically inclined, and I'll report back any success I have with my own repair. Good luck and hopefully it gets resolved, either with this attempt, or through Honda's engineering department.

#31 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.