9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. New to the site so I apologize for any posting issues. Anyways I bought a 2014 Civic Si in February of this year ( I live in Boston btw). About a month ago I installed a k&n cold air intake but everything else is bone stock. Just recently I noticed driving in traffic in first and second gear around 2500-3000 rpms at a steady speed the car feels laggy especially in stop and go traffic. When I hold the gas steady it almost feels like I'm laying off the gas then hitting it again. The rpms don't hold consistently. It isn't a huge change but I can definitely feel it. I've only really noticed this as the weather has gotten warmer. Cool days with the intake I barely notice it. Any ideas?

Thanks in advace.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have noticed the same thing even when I had the factory airbox, now with the AF Dynamic SRI it still does it. Could be heatsoak, Interested on anyones input on this.

·
Registered
865 Posts
It's heat soak. The K&N short rams for our cars are prone to it. I haven't noticed any heat soak with my stock box but when I had the K&N short ram in, I immediately noticed it driving in stop and go traffic. I loved the sound it made but eventually ditched it and went back to stock. Looking back on it now, the money I used on it could've went else where.

The K&N thread:
http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/intakes-tb-spacers/6571-k-n-typhoon-sri-intake.html

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
By "cold air intake" I'm assuming you mean K&N's typhoon short ram. I have the same intake, and I'm currently debating whether I should take it off for the summer months. I think the bigger culprit is the A/C. It really bogs the Si down. Was your A/C on when you noticed the lagging? I've had my K&N since the end of last summer, so I haven't used it in really hot weather yet. This week it will be in the low 90's, so I can report back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes the ac is on sometimes it's off when I noticed it. I work in Boston and drive constantly throughout the city in traffic so I'm contemplating taking it out now. I love the sound of it too but I'm not sure if it is worth it at this point especially with the summer months coming. Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
571 Posts
Also consider that if your car is not tuned then it may not perform well in certain conditions as the ECU is expecting certain amounts of air to be coming in and an air intake will change that. Even using a factory airbox with a non-stock filter. From my reading having an air intake without a tune really doesn't do much for you and in some cases will actually perform worse than stock. One of the best mods, even for a bone stock car, is a Flashpro and a tune.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

Hey guys. So I just wanted to follow up. I just recently took out the K&N short ram cold air intake for the summer and still noticed the laggy feel while holding the gas in low RPMS. I have also noticed it generally only happens when the AC is turned on. I hardly notice it when the AC is off. Any ideas at all?

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
UPDATE:

Hey guys. So I just wanted to follow up. I just recently took out the K&N short ram cold air intake for the summer and still noticed the laggy feel while holding the gas in low RPMS. I have also noticed it generally only happens when the AC is turned on. I hardly notice it when the AC is off. Any ideas at all?

Thanks again
That's interesting. I just took out my K&N SRI as well but noticed the car seems to have lost some of the lagginess. I guess each car runs a bit different.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,568 Posts
Also consider that if your car is not tuned then it may not perform well in certain conditions as the ECU is expecting certain amounts of air to be coming in and an air intake will change that. Even using a factory airbox with a non-stock filter. From my reading having an air intake without a tune really doesn't do much for you and in some cases will actually perform worse than stock. One of the best mods, even for a bone stock car, is a Flashpro and a tune.

Just something to think about.
The running characteristics described in the OP are symptoms of a lean-running engine, which is the result of increased air intake without a tune to bring everything back to spec. And yes, hot air from the engine compartment being ingested into the intake doesn't help, either.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Driving with the A/C on will definitely bog down your car. I notice this every time I turn my A/C on, and I don't have an intake.
Especially if you are using flashpro. Since the rev hang issue is gone, the A/C makes the rpms drop at a ridiculously fast rate. Making it so I have to shift as fast as I can for it to be smooth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this issue. Thanks for all the feedback guys. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
So I actually recorded temps with all three setups of stock box, PRL SRI and PRL CAI.

Both PRL SRI and Stock box will heat soak. End of discussion. IATs take a break long long time to come down a little bit when you get going from traffic.

With the CAI, temps will still get high(not as high as stock box and Sri) in traffic but as soon as you get going from traffic, the IATs drop down almost instantly. No bogging.

Honestly don't waste time with the SRI. I had the SRI, moved back to stock box, then moved to CAI and have never been happier. The stock box heat soaked and bogged like the SRI but it just took longer to "heat up" under stop and go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts