9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm Smudgey, currently a teenage owner of a 2011 KIA Forte (pictured below). The car was a gift from my parents, and I have added some light modifications to it since I received it in June of 2011. While the Forte is nice, I don't like the fact that I only contributed around $900 to the cost of the car (we bought it used w/ 7000 miles for approx. $13,900) and that any modification I make wasn't off of a fresh canvas - it was a used car. As a result, I am working two jobs as well as finishing my last year of high school with college courses in an attempt to trade into a new car within the next two years. I am interested in the 9th gen civic and as such have some questions for you guys.

1. I am interested in probably the rarest model of them all, a Manual DX coupe in Dyno Blue Pearl. Will Honda dealers typically hassle me about trying to order a car, because I am presuming now that there will not be one in stock at the time of my visit. When my parents were getting their new Soul, our local KIA dealer flat-out REFUSED to order a car for us and forced us to choose a car from the lot or go elsewhere. We chose the latter.
2. Consumer Reports lists the DX model as having a standard AM/FM radio and keyless entry, is that true? Does the DX model have air conditioning? None of these are necessities for me but I would be surprised if they are standard given the MSRP of the DX model.
3. How are the blindspots for the coupe? When I glanced at the 360 interior view I was quite surprised to see that the c-pillar seems to block very little of the over-the-shoulder view of other cars, but the perspective in these shots is sometimes skewed.
4. Are the coupe's rear turn signals amber or red? As a European, I personally prefer amber turn signals all around.
5. What kind of mileage numbers have people been experiencing? Close to the 28 city / 39 highway rating for the non-SI models?

I greatly appreciate any help that is offered to me on this forum. My family has only owned Hyundais and Kias since the 1990s, but I am trying to branch out to other countries for my choice of car that will be funded in the most part by my own hard work. If you're wondering what else I'm looking at, think Sonic LS, Fiesta SE, next gen Sentra...

Smudgey

KIApower.jpg

·
Hola
3,746 Posts
Coming from a fellow high school student, keep the forte. Don't get me wrong, I f****** love my car, without a doubt. However, you have a Damn nice car already. I know, its "used", but its only a 2011. Your lucky to have that car. It just doesn't seen worth it to me as a high schooler to trade in so quickly, having such a nice car. My advice would be to take the money your earning and 1. Save it for a newer, nicer car in a few years, maybe once out of college, or eventually as a house payment down the line 2. Add some serious mods to your current car. Just my two cents. I dunno if you've test driven a 9th gen yet, I'd do that first before you decide anything. If you become certain you wanna ditch your current ride, then we can talk logistics on which model/color/how to buy/other shit. Lol

Best regards,
Braden

FG3 SQUAD MEMBER #5

·
Registered
289 Posts
I agree with Sullivan. Keep your current. why do you want to be tied down with monthly payments . If you do want to trade in, IMO sell the car yourself and have a larger down payment

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all of your for your responses (also, for clearing up the A/C issue).

While I agree about the financial sense of holding on to my current car for longer, I do have a couple of issues with that. First of all, it's an automatic (Forte EXs are auto only), and I really want a manual. Secondly, while we have watched the quality and Korean cars steadily improve over the past decade (we've owned 5), the aftermarket parts are still atrocious. The grille I have in now vibrates like crazy because it has 6 less screw holes than the stock one. The $400 LED tail lights I had in broke in a month- 3 bulbs out. And because all of the sellers are Korean, unlike many JDM sellers, their understanding of English is lackluster and product descriptions are often way off. In addition, I have a very weird mentality about my cars. I would rather have them have less features them more, and I like my cars as small as possible. My Forte has a 300-something watt radio, but I leave it off except when using the Bluetooth. I only use the keyless entry to pop the trunk, the rest of the time I put the key in the actual hole. I wanted to get the new 2012 Versa sedan 1.6S, which is pretty much completely stripped of everything, but dealers wouldn't let us order one.

As far as the monthly payments go, they wouldn't exist. I'm putting all my paychecks from my higher paying job into a savings, and using the lower paying job to cover small expenses that I would rather not burden my parents with, so I have several grand saved up already to pay cash w/ trade or cash after selling my car privately.

If you still think it's a terrible idea, please let me know. Otherwise, I'd like to know a little bit more about the 9th gen coupe.

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
I understand the problems u face.... Luckily Honda is known for a huge aftermarket following which of course for the 9th gen is still building up.. I don't think you will be let down with a civic as your choice.. as for ordering what u want u may perhaps again have to find a dealer that will... No matter what car company there will always be a few butt hole dealers to desk with... I understand the want of a manual... That's another reason I wanted a manual... I had missed driving due to automatics for years... I have so much more fun with a manual

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, when I was learning how to drive my friend's manual Elantra I just found it so much more engaging. And how can you call yourself an enthusiast if your own model has a slushbox? Haha. I think you are right, my local Honda dealer has 38 Civics right now, no DXs at all - let alone a DX stick.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
865 Posts
I agree, when I was learning how to drive my friend's manual Elantra I just found it so much more engaging. And how can you call yourself an enthusiast if your own model has a slushbox? Haha. I think you are right, my local Honda dealer has 38 Civics right now, no DXs at all - let alone a DX stick.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
So people who own an auto can't be an enthusiast? Smh

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So people who own an auto can't be an enthusiast? Smh

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I was probably being a little too blunt with that blanket statement. Obviously there are several good reasons for choosing an auto - owning a DD/commuter that's stuck in traffic all day and not wanting to induce RSI on your right hand, choosing a DSG because it shifts faster than you, or maybe you don't have a choice because the car is auto-only. What I am saying is that by my personal definition of a car enthusiast, refusing to/avoiding owning a manual has a certain effect on your authority and how you are viewed. I don't know, maybe it is just because where I'm from, the vast majority of cars on the road are manuals anyway (UK).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts