9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saying hi. I'm fairly certain I'll be buying a new Civic Sedan EX-L in either ASM or DBP before end of the month. Looking to replace my '06 Mazda 6i with 105k miles with something new and that gets a bit better MPG, and will last me at least 8-10 years;) Just trying to decide whether the price of the navi is worth it or not. Will be going back for a second test drive and to spend some in-depth time with a Civic before I decide. The option of hanging onto my 6 for a few years still remains, though.

Great forum. I have already learned a ton about the Civic! Mod wish-list has already started to develop :eek3dancesmiley:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Dyno blue! It's sweet with the leather;)

?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice ride, Jdee! I had a lapis blue Mazda 6 before my current one which is sliver and I loved the color. My only concern is that DBP looks a bit teal in certain light. That and the little note on Honda's site about pigment variation. Might cause trouble matching paint in the future? Thoughts on this anyone?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Yea true but that's also what's really cool about it, I love the color, I'm sure they'll get the paint right. It gives it more of a flashy look
I get a lot of compliments on it Bcuz not a lot of people have this color. IMO I think yu shoul go with it

?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Should*

?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Si as DD for MTX n00b??

So I was looking into getting a new EX-L sedan. I rode to the Honda dealer with a buddy today to have some maintenance done on his Accord and he talked me into playing around with the Si. Needless to say, I am now very interested in buying an ASM or DBP sedan. I didn't drive it since I have virtually no experience with a manual car, so my buddy drove. He was thrilled with the car. On the way back we pulled into a parking lok so I could get some practice on his car. It was very rough getting going at first, but I eventually go a little smoother and didn't stall as much. Only did basic get the car moving and stopped again stuff. I think I would really like the stick, but concerned about learning on a brand new car. I did drive the Si in the dealer lot just a short distance and found it much easier to get moving that the Accord.

Just looking for opinions on getting an Si , having never driven a manual car before. It seems very easy and smooth. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Nah man it'll be all good, driving stick is awesome and it won't take you long to learn. Needless to say, I enjoy driving stick a million times more than automatic. Learning on the car won't be a problem, you won't mess anything up. After you learn the basics and get that down it'll just get better and better. I drive in a LOT of traffic and even then I love it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
799 Posts
I like driving manuel better because it keeps me alert when driving. And like Jason said it won't be hard to learn and shouldn't mess up

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just do it Hell my first car in '95 was a manual '85 mustang GT that i bought and had to drive home 15mi without ever having driven a stick and i did it so can you. You won't learn any other way than to drive.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I think I'm gonna go for it :D Tired of not being a manual driver LOL

Now to go with ASM orDBP....hmmm...

·
Registered
111 Posts
go with the silver. I have a black si and it is a pain in the ass to keep clean. I love the look but I wish I just went with the Silver!

·
Registered
696 Posts
You won't find a smoother manual to learn on!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Get the Si if you can. It may not be long before you cant even find a new car with a manual transmission. You will not regret your decision.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got an insurance quote and was pleasantly surprised to see not much of an increase in premium at all. I was really wanting leather like I have in my Mazda6, but with the seats in the Si being so good, I don't think I'll miss it at all. I can see virtually no negatives to this car, other than premium fuel requirement. But, I'm thinking I can get better than 28MPG mixed driving i get now if I pay attention, so this may be a moot point. I've always wanted to own a stick-shift car and now I'm closer than ever :eek3dancesmiley:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Just got an insurance quote and was pleasantly surprised to see not much of an increase in premium at all. I was really wanting leather like I have in my Mazda6, but with the seats in the Si being so good, I don't think I'll miss it at all. I can see virtually no negatives to this car, other than premium fuel requirement. But, I'm thinking I can get better than 28MPG mixed driving i get now if I pay attention, so this may be a moot point. I've always wanted to own a stick-shift car and now I'm closer than ever :eek3dancesmiley:

Awesome, the first time I drove a stick was a 1 ton truck on steep hills with traffic lights. Starting from a dead stop on a hill is the only tricky thing to learn. Find some gentle hills with no traffic to practice on if you get the car.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The local park/greenway trailhead near my house has plenty of open space and a short sloping exit. I practiced on it a bit today, but just didn't have the feel for the clutch engagement point down. It'll be a good starting point to practice starting on an incline though. Luckily, my "been driving stick forever" buddy has offered to get me ready for the Si, and help me refine my skills once I have the car. I'm sure all he'll ask in return is to get some behind the wheel time :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
You're going to love it. This car has one of the best manual transmissions I've driven. And this is coming from a guy who has driven hundreds of BMW's, Porsche's, Ferrari's, etc.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
The local park/greenway trailhead near my house has plenty of open space and a short sloping exit. I practiced on it a bit today, but just didn't have the feel for the clutch engagement point down. It'll be a good starting point to practice starting on an incline though. Luckily, my "been driving stick forever" buddy has offered to get me ready for the Si, and help me refine my skills once I have the car. I'm sure all he'll ask in return is to get some behind the wheel time :D

You'll be good to go then, the Si is so much fun to drive.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
I learned on an old chevy pickup on a two track in the woods. Not a bad place to learn when I was only 13 years old.

This car would be way easier to learn to shift on.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts