9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I own a honda civic 2014.
The car suddenly goes in to a limp mode. There is no warnings no splutters or judders. You just realise that there is no acceleration. The car drives amazingly to start with. this happens sooner if your on a bypass or motorway than on the A roads. No warning lights come, no error codes stored. Turn the ignition off and back on and your back to normal driving for a few minutes then will just do it again.
When this happens the engine won't rev over 3500rpm.

Anyone got any ideas???

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
You will need to pull the CEL and report back.

Any recent maintenance or modifications done to the car?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
CEL = check engine light. If the ecu detects a fault, it will trigger a code and cause the limp mode. You will need an obd scanner to pull the code.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi I own a honda civic 2014.
The car suddenly goes in to a limp mode. There is no warnings no splutters or judders. You just realise that there is no acceleration. The car drives amazingly to start with. this happens sooner if your on a bypass or motorway than on the A roads. No warning lights come, no error codes stored. Turn the ignition off and back on and your back to normal driving for a few minutes then will just do it again.
When this happens the engine won't rev over 3500rpm.

Anyone got any ideas???
fuel pump line pressure not optimal, flaky injectors?

Ideally running a scanner with the data stream recording would be a good way to snapshot and compare the deltas.

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
42 Posts
Does the car struggle to idle without the throttle depressed when this is happening?
I had an early 2000's 5 speed Mopar that did this due to an exhaust leak/O2 sensor issue.
I ended up getting tired of trying and buying a Honda before I ever fully figured that one out.

Bump on the suggestion to run a scanner to record data stream.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
966 Posts
I had this happen to my Honda Accord a few thousand years ago it was the gas filter. They replaced it, work perfect.
Well, these cars don't have an external fuel filter, unless you count the one in the tank that's attached to the pump, and that one isn't a serviceable part.

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
42 Posts
Well, these cars don't have an external fuel filter, unless you count the one in the tank that's attached to the pump, and that one isn't a serviceable part.
You could pull the pump and replace just the filter (maybe that's only on my aftermarket pump)...but I'd check as many other things as possible before I open the tank up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You could pull the pump and replace just the filter (maybe that's only on my aftermarket pump)...but I'd check as many other things as possible before I open the tank up.
provided that's the issue...

analysis of a data stream still pending.
if there was a fuel pressure or feed issue, it could potentially present itself as a hard start issue as well.

since this issue is intermittent, it really requires careful analysis.
paying for this kind of diagnostics is very expensive by the hour, and a decent scanner would easily pay for itself in this scenario and highly recommended for the OP.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
966 Posts
It's very possible on aftermarket pumps. On a stock pump, no, as Honda doesn't make it separate. Is it possible? Probably, but not without some deep research to see what does and doesn't fit.

Reactions: Marktastrophe

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
42 Posts
provided that's the issue...

analysis of a data stream still pending.
if there was a fuel pressure or feed issue, it could potentially present itself as a hard start issue as well.

since this issue is intermittent, it really requires careful analysis.
paying for this kind of diagnostics is very expensive by the hour, and a decent scanner would easily pay for itself in this scenario and highly recommended for the OP.
You have any scanner brand recommendations, or can you share what you use?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts