9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my Si about a month and a half ago. At the time I picked it up, it had arrived the day before, was PDI'd, and then delivered to me. They didn't detail it because it was pouring rain at the time. It continued to rain for several weeks. I then went in for surgery (it's been 3 and 1/2 weeks now) so I couldn't do anything with the car. Now that I am back on my feet and the weather has dried out I noticed that there are horrible water spots all over my car, on the paint and the glass, that would not come off after washing. It tried using some vinegar on the glass and it helped but you can still see the spots. I think it has etched the glass. I think I am going to need to use clay bar or polish or something.

Anyway, I contacted the dealer and asked them if they would detail the car now that it had stopped raining. They said sure but I didn't ask what the pre-delivery detail job includes. If they just wash it, they are not likely going to get any better results than I did.

What would be reasonable to expect that the dealer should do to make this right? What would the dealers normal 'pre-delivery' detail include? I'm assuming if the car had been polished and waxed before it was delivered that these spots would likely have been pretty easy to get off. Even after I washed it yesterday the whole car looks like crap. Should they be responsible for clay or polish? Is that normally what they have done before delivering it? Because I haven't been working I don't want to pay them to do any of this so if they refuse, I will just go buy the clay bar kit myself and do it. I'll be washing the car myself from now on so I don't mind buying it. However, if it reasonable to expect them to do it, it would be much better since I just had a hip replacement and am still pretty week. Washing it took a lot out of me yesterday, lol.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect them to do a complete detail for free since they couldn't do it the first time. My dealer did an awesome job when I picked up my car, they detailed it inside and out. I'm not sure what all they did but it was like looking into a mirror it was so shiny and clean. I know some dealers are better than others but mine took a full 31 days to get me the memorandum so they gave me a $60 coupon to use. I was pretty impressed with mine. Plus being a brand new car that you paid a lot of money for, I don't think it would hurt them to remove those spots for you.

·
Registered
302 Posts
They do a quick detail. Vacuum the floors(there new so its like one swipe) The windshield gets the inside cleaned. They wipe down the plastics quick on the inside. Then they wash the car and dry it.(Maybe wax) Nothing fancy, my honda dealer is great to deal with but there detail guy sucks. He left compound(wax) on the headlight lenses, door handles, black window surrounds, etc. Its like a half azzed once over. I washed it completely myself the other day and it looked a helluva lot better then there job. Im just saying you didnt miss much.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure about this dealers detail department, I haven't seen it. I think I am just going to go buy some clay and do it myself. I actually work for a shop that has a detail department and they can give me advice but I'm on leave and haven't been able to get back down there. I watched some videos on claying and it looks like it's what I need to do.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
Yeah, plus it's more fun to do it yourself. A little more satisfaction in a job well done.

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
all depends on the dealer and quality of there detail guy really

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
Before I go to the dealer I'd look up a reputable detailer in town and show him the problem ... let him polish it out ..

Most dealership detailers are $10/hour kids that can do more harm than good if they are required to do any more than the pre-delivery.

Your water spots are most likely going to need polishing out and I have corrected too many dealer polish out horor shows.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
When I worked at a Ford dealership in high school, all we did when we sold a new car was wipe the dash down, vacuum if necessary, and wash and dry the car. That's about it. Oh- and tire shine.

If you're confident in letting a 19 year old who does about twelve 'details' a day do this, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, honestly I would just claybar it myself. Sucks, but at least you know you're not going to get any scratch-related surprises. Seems every time I go to the dealer, even for an oil change, there's a new scuff in my interior or something like that...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought some clay today and was able to do the hood, front fenders, and roof. It made a big difference but there are still some deposits I couldn't get out. I used the meguires clay bar, which came with a sample of their cleaner/wax so I used that too. Came out nice and shiny and if I had time to do the whole car it would have looked great. Unfortunately, the windows are screwed and clay, vinegar, or anything else wouldn't make the water spots go away. So I think they need to be polished. Is there any product I can do this by hand?

I know what you guys mean about $10/hr detailers. I know the highest paid detailer we have makes $14. And these are guys who detail Ferrari, Porsche's, Shelby Cobras, and other super valuable cars every day. Not a business I'd want to go into.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Depending on where you live, you might try one of the GroupOn or LivingSocial offers for a professional detail job. I got a great deal on one in Minneapolis for $100 - it's a day long process and they do EVERYTHING.

I normally prefer to do that myself, but living in a city and having a finite amount of free time, I'll take the deal.

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
Unfortunately, the windows are screwed and clay, vinegar, or anything else wouldn't make the water spots go away. So I think they need to be polished. Is there any product I can do this by hand?

You have a couple of DIY options .. go to Car Quest and get a bottle of Duragloss Nu-Glass and use that or
Get a package of #0000 ( superfine ) steel wool and use it with a 50/50 mix of dish soap & water as a lube.

I have used this numerous times and it works great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts