9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My 18 year old son is looking at a 2012 to 2015 LX for his first car. Last Honda I owned was a 1999 Civic EX, it's been a while!

Can you let me know what to expect in terms of known issues, specific stuff to pay attention to when inspecting, etc. So far I've heard very uncomfortable seats, rear calipers that tend to seize in the snow/salt belt, sunroof issues due to rust under rubber, lower engine mounts that get loose... and a lot of concerns regarding the CVT.... is the CVT better to avoid for the manual or 5 speed auto?

thank you in advance for your help.

PS we are in Quebec so harsh winters with tons of salt on the roads....

·
I Need A Vacation
13,401 Posts
Well LX has no sunroof and IIRC rear brakes were drums. 12/13 LX were traditional auto transmission 14/15 were CVT. Manual gearbox always going to be more reliable than any auto/CVT setup as MT has less moving parts and easier and cheaper to service. Some people don't like how a CVT drives but that is YMMV and if the seats are comfortable or not that depends on each individual so also YMMV.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,390 Posts
I've had 2 LX coupes since 2012, a 5AT, and now a 5MT in my 2015.

Seating comfort is a very subjective thing. My '15 LX's seats are not uncomfortable, but I like our '18 Accord LX's seats better.

My first choice in transmissions is always a manual, but if you're set on an automatic I would go with a 2013, the only year with a 5AT and the upgraded trim inside and out. I don't care for CVTs for a number of reasons, the drone being the main one, although the constantly variableness of the way it works does yield good acceleration and gas mileage, but I'll still take a manual trans every time.

The R18 doesn't have any outstanding issues to watch out for. Just try to get the healthiest car you can and check all systems and change all fluids, depending on mileage.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,390 Posts
I would suspect that 99% of R18 Civic drivers don't drive above 70 mph.

I'd also like to see a reference as to where you got that information.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
14 ex here, CVT, sunroof and rear disc brakes. only problem i have had is the rear pads wearing out faster than the fronts. i'm still on factory front pads, where as i've changed out my rear ones. no sunroof issues. no CVT issues. i've found no issues with the comfort of the seats. i'm 220 lbs, 6' tall.

btw, i'm at 140K miles. regular maintenance, done both at home and at the dealership. all depends on how it is taken care of.

only issue i have with the car, is the paint on the front. due to the mileage and where it's been, my hood/bumper look horrible. road rash from sand, rocks, etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I own two 2015 Civic Lx Automatic. One is my daughter's car. Mine was bought new. No issues and over 52,000 miles. My daughter's car was bought with ~12,000 miles. Currently has about 22,000 miles. No issues. If well maintained, I think it will serve you well. Also, I don't think its a good choice for a heavy footed driver. Just my opinion. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where I'm from in tn speed limits are 70 mph on the interstate and I live about 25 miles away from work I would go 80 state troopers around here allow 10 over my vt transmission started going out at 160,000 with real bad toy car sound and I took my car in and got a si. I lived the information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah I was abusing it I guess you could say, but i know that the cvt transmission is the same as a kids go cart with the two pulleys and the rubber belt, but in a car transmission it's a metal belt.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've had my 2015 LX Coupe since August 2018. Got it at about 54,000 miles, and have about 74,000 miles on it now. So far, the only major work that it has needed is an A/C evaporator, and fortunately, I bought a comprehensive extended warranty (from the Honda dealer) which covered it.

I love the ride and smoothness of the drivetrain, though some people might find it a bit rough on bumpy roads due to the more sport-tuned suspension -- I would suspect that the sedan would be more softly sprung, but that is just a guess. I haven't had any problems being comfortable with the seats -- though I haven't taken it on any long vacation trips, I have taken it on a two hour drive.

The CVT is subjective. I can understand how reliability might be an issue -- again, I got that warranty, just in case -- and I also had the transmission fluid changed shortly after I got it as I got the car used, so now I know it has fresh fluid in it. I don't drive like a speed demon, and rarely rev the engine above 3000 RPM, and honestly, I didn't even know this car had a CVT until after I bought it. That is because this CVT more or less mimics a conventional automatic transmission. Some CVT's pick a specific RPM for peak efficiency while accelerating and just leave the engine spinning at that RPM while the changing ratios of the CVT handles the acceleration -- this is what causes the vacuum cleaner type sound that some people report with certain CVT's. But I find that this Civic CVT still changes ratios while accelerating -- especially as you let up on the gas or goose the throttle -- therefore making it feel more like a conventional auto transmission. I assume that, since it is a CVT, the transmission control software can pick specific ratios as needed for better efficiency, instead of being limited to 5, 6, or even 10 gear ratios, like a regular automatic.

I will say, however, that I have noticed a few concerns. One is that sometimes, it seems to hunt for the best ratio while driving slowly in heavy traffic or in a parking lot. When this happens, turning off the ECO mode usually smooths things out a bit. Another thing is that I occasionally get a bit of a jolt or abrupt "shift" when lightly accelerating around 30-40 mph (such as slowing down while approaching a red light, but then the light turns green before I get to it, so I lightly tap the gas). I am not convinced that it is the transmission itself causing that -- it could be a sensor, such as the throttle position sensor or a speed sensor, occasionally providing erroneous data. But it only happens to me once every couple weeks or so and has not gotten worse, and I have no warning lights on. And, the CVT fluid has a tendency to emit a peculiar odor when the engine is warm, even though there are no leaks. This was reduced somewhat when I had the fluid changed, but was not eliminated. If the A/C is off, I just put the climate controls on recirculate to keep the odor from coming in the car -- but if the A/C is on, it seems that an underhood fan also kicks on and blows the air around in such a way that the odor doesn't come into the passenger compartment so much.

Otherwise, I have found the CVT very responsive, and I have been averaging about 31 mpg with a mixture of around-town and highway driving, but with very little stuck-in-rush-hour stop-and-go driving.

Some other minor negatives: At least in the coupe, the position of the A-pillars sometimes makes visibility difficult when veering on a left-curving road. Something about the way the windows and hood are shaped make it be the case that I park angled to the left when I feel like I'm parking straight in a parking space (I just have to park as if I feel like I'm angled a little to the right). The window trim around the base of the side windows is deteriorating, which seems to be an issue for other Honda's as well, as my wife's 2009 CRV has window trim issues, as well. And the USB connector for the factory stereo is awkwardly located in a center console storage bin on the rear part of the center console.

Otherwise, I have been very happy with my car, and even the "lowly" LX comes with a ton of equipment. But because of all of the tech on this car -- or any modern car, for that matter -- I would recommend a quality extended warranty if one is available for a good price where you buy the car.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've owned my 2015 EX since new in February of 2015 and its up to about 70k miles now and I literally have had 0 issues with the car other than having to purchase a new battery after years of ownership (not a civic specific problem as honda batteries in general tend to go out quickly)

In regards to the CVT I do admit that the drone is annoying but I usually almost always have my playlist on in the car when I drive so I almost never notice it unless I push it and rev it past 3000 rpm which is extremely rare. I've also gotten pretty decent gas mileage with the CVT as well in that I typically get anywhere from 32-33 MPG with mostly highway driving. I know the car is technically capable of getting better MPG than that but considering I live in the city and under normal circumstances (pre-lockdown) I would be dealing with Downtown LA traffic between my apartment and getting to the freeway its pretty good.

Also the CVT handles high speeds surprisingly well. I dont drive above 60-70 mph a whole lot mostly because traffic rarely allows me too but I have found myself on the freeway from time to time early on a saturday or sunday morning when there's hardly any traffic and would find my my civic sitting happily at 80-90 mph speeds and even more recently I had to drive on the highway to drop in on my parents during this shutdown and (unintentionally) found my civic sitting happily at speeds of 94 mph and it was behaving as if I was driving at thermal 60-65 mph which is why I didnt notice until I glanced at the speedometer and slowed down a little.

Honestly all in all, even though my civic has surprised me at how well its handled the various driving conditions its dealt with from crawling in rush hour traffic to speeding down empty highways at 90+ mph and its still pretty much looking and behaving like a brand new car. Just keep up with the maintenance on it and you won't regret it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your help and advice. After a LOT of intensive research, we found a fantastic 2015 LX (5 speed manual) in absolute mint condition which my son bought yesterday. From a reputable Honda dealership, with Honda Canada certification included. Clean Carfax. They replaced the battery, the front pads and rotors, brake fluid, oil change, all filters, etc.. complete deluxe esthetic package inside and out, it's literally like a brand new car. 36,000 miles, lease return, one owner that bought another Honda at that location.

Based on what I read here and on Facebook groups, the sunroof rust and rear disk brakes were very frequent issues. My son had his eyes set on the EX but he liked the LX we saw yesterday so much he decided to buy it on the spot. So no sunroof and rear disks with the LX which makes daddy very happy!! (since daddy would have been the one dealing with those issues).

I used to own a 2009 Sonata and the rear calipers were ALWAYS seizing or sticking no matter what meticulous maintenance i would apply (plus replaced 3 calipers in 1.5 years). I sold that #$%#$% car just for that issue and got myself a new Corolla with rear drums 5 years ago and never been happier (although, test driving the Civic yesterday, I started to regret getting the Corolla instead though!)

For those interested: my son also got a kick on the looks and tech of the 2016.... we researched that model year quite a bit... enough issues to decide to stick with the 2015 (the air conditioning compressor being the most rampant and expensive, radio issues, cvt issues as well)... every salesperson we spoke with agreed, and confirmed that the 2015 is simply a tank, the best year model you could hope for in terms of reliability.

So yeah, thanks again for your help, I could not be happier with my son's purchase :) (and so is he!!)

·
I Need A Vacation
13,401 Posts
2016 is the first year of 10thgen so any first year model always has the most issues whereas by 2015 Honda worked out most of the issues with 9thgen. R18 motor is super reliable. Good to hear things worked out for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi I have a 2012 Honda Civic LX sedan and brought it certified from a Honda dealer with only 3600miles . Theres no issues with the car what’s so ever mechanically since owning it. I personally like the 2012 . Like you have mentioned in Canada it snows more. My recommendations is to clean out the undercarriage and brakes more frequent so salt Won’t eat up the calipers / brakes, chasis and suspensions. Since owning this car all I have changed were the air filter, cabin filter brakes, rotors transmission fluid(maintenance stuff) and a few mods that I have done to it. Im in the process doing a full swap but that’s irrelevant (just want more power and love driving manual). Many people have said bad things about the 2012 civic especially the non si model(Comparing it to the si model) but as a daily driver it’s a champ! Great gas mileage and fun car to drive...Seats for me are comfy, I have driven more than 10hrs straight and no issues. the car still turns on like day 1 and drives normal since the day I brought it. I do take care of the car and keep it up to date. Car is easy to maintain so I recommend to diy maintence since there are tons of videos out there and cheaper on the pockets. I believe all 9th generation civics are awesome and totally worth buying it’s just matter of maintaining it well. Feel free to message me any questions inbox me at my Instagram account @Mylittle9thgencivic I will do my best to help answer any questions.
3DF51E91-519D-4FEE-8DCB-FCECEC3A50B2.jpeg

all 9thgens are basically the same except the si model.
si k24 motor
Non si models- r18 motor
Hope this helps.👍🏽✊🏼

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all,

My 18 year old son is looking at a 2012 to 2015 LX for his first car. Last Honda I owned was a 1999 Civic EX, it's been a while!

Can you let me know what to expect in terms of known issues, specific stuff to pay attention to when inspecting, etc. So far I've heard very uncomfortable seats, rear calipers that tend to seize in the snow/salt belt, sunroof issues due to rust under rubber, lower engine mounts that get loose... and a lot of concerns regarding the CVT.... is the CVT better to avoid for the manual or 5 speed auto?

thank you in advance for your help.

PS we are in Quebec so harsh winters with tons of salt on the roads....
I have a 2013 civic coupe and it's been nothing but great for me in the 4 years I've had it. I live in northern Indiana in the heart of lake effect snow country and it has done good in the snow with good tires. No rust issues or anything mechanical except basic maintenance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2013 Civic LX sedan with the regular automatic transmission. Overall I’m happy with it and may keep driving it until something major blows. I bought it a few years ago with between 30,000-40,000 miles from a Honda dealership. It has just about 120,000 miles now. Used to drive almost 100 miles round trip for work but for the past couple years I’ve been working from home all the time while occasionally driving to the office and stores.

Maintenance: Easy to change oil and not a huge pain to work on in general.
It’s been great for me and I have changed the oil, filter, and air filter when the car tells me. Which is approximately every 5000 miles or so just for oil. Each code tells you what to change. I rotate the tires every other oil change. Changed the transmission fluid and spark plugs at 100,000 miles and was easy.
Also replaced the battery once since I’ve had it.
I replaced the rotors, pads, and hardware close to 80,000 miles if I remember correctly and went great.

Issues: I’ve had one scary issue where the transmission was acting up real bad and was getting all kinds of codes. Long-story-short of looking into it myself...the mechanic found a wire (I believe by one of the solenoids on the transmission) that rubbed against something metal and it caused the issue. They soldered it up, all back to normal since.
The screen for backup camera, audio, etc. goes black every once in a blue moon. But shutting the car off and starting back up fixes it. No biggie.

Driving comfort: I made the mistake by buying used tires for cheap from a used tire shop...They ended up being hard tires and got bulges on the inside walls shortly after for some reason. Hopefully it didn’t mess up any of the suspension. I don’t think anything from the vehicle can cause the belts in your tires to get damaged. If someone reads this and knows something that can cause the tires to be damaged this way, please tell me. I’ve had bad luck with tires lately. Get nice “comfortable” tires and it will be a decent ride.
I personally like the classic cloth seats. Easy to be stained bc I have the tan ones but I am always comfortable. If you’re a big person, may not be as comfortable because it is a Civic.
I've driven this car on trips out of state and didn’t have any worries or issues along the way.
Lately, been noticing a little more vibration and shaking lately. The passenger seat shakes like crazy sometimes when empty. I can’t tell if it’s my tires, suspension, or engine mounts. The mounts look okay from just looking. Whatever it is, it’s something I can figure out and do myself.

Hope this helps! Overall, I would recommend this car. Especially as a first car.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,390 Posts
I've had my 2015 LX coupe 5MT since new - the end of June 2015. Almost 50k miles now. Maintenance always done on schedule. Original brakes all around and I commuted in it in rush hour traffic until mid-March when the pandemic caused the schools to be closed.

The only issue I had was a replaced window regulator during the first year because it was making a little noise.

I'm going to keep this car a long time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As I announced in post #12 a few days ago, my son bought a 2015 LX manual and everyone's insight here was very helpful, steered us the right way and inspired a lot of confidence in that decision. thank you again!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts