9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the forum and all. I'm currently waiting on my silver 2013 civic 4 dr (EX-L Alabaster silver, black leather)to arrive at the dealership. Should be there by next week. Only thing I am getting is the security system from the dealership, (considering lojack too). What kind of things can I get or do to help prevent my car from getting stolen. I will probably do the kill switch and some wheel locks (Gorilla wheel lock system possibly if still available). Any other good things I can get to protect my car?? Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated!! :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
It'll be fine.. It's not an Si.

I would just say get a simple alarm (e.g. Viper) and use a steering wheel lock for more "visual" security. Other than that, anything else might be overkill and not worth the money.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
Hey all, new to the forum and all. I'm currently waiting on my silver 2013 civic 4 dr (EX-L Alabaster silver, black leather)to arrive at the dealership. Should be there by next week. Only thing I am getting is the security system from the dealership, (considering lojack too). What kind of things can I get or do to help prevent my car from getting stolen. I will probably do the kill switch and some wheel locks (Gorilla wheel lock system possibly if still available). Any other good things I can get to protect my car?? Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated!! :D
Don't get one period.
Not needed if they want your car they'll take it regardless.
They can tow it if they wanted to in under 5 minutes if they were that desperate.its not an SI.sorry just your wasting your money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what kind of lock? like the club? I know the Si is more tempting just wanna make sure I mean the civic is one of the most stolen cars.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Get good insurance and move away from NY? All kidding aside, this generation of Civic is not as much of a target by thieves as earlier models were. You are more likely to lose your car in a carjacking. Drive through Newark much?

Protecting your car is an immobilizer and just about every part of value has a VIN stamped on it. An added alarm system and your wheel locks should be helpful though. Good luck and I sure hope you don't have to deal with your car ever being stolen. There has only been one member of this forum that I recall has reported their car stolen and recovered. They were in Cali if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
Get good insurance and move away from NY? All kidding aside, this generation of Civic is not as much of a target by thieves as earlier models were. You are more likely to lose your car in a carjacking. Drive through Newark much?

Protecting your car is an immobilizer and just about every part of value has a VIN stamped on it. An added alarm system and your wheel locks should be helpful though. Good luck and I sure hope you don't have to deal with your car ever being stolen. There has only been one member of this forum that I recall has reported their car stolen and recovered. They were in Cali if I recall correctly.
I think it was his brother's accord.if your talking about the same person I'm thinking.
But there's no way to turn the car on without the key.it would have to be someone that worked for a dealer that copied your vin and ordered a key.but there's requirements for that.and to get to the immobolizer isn't exactly easy or less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot! Glad to hear the info. I'll save my money for other modifications down the line :eek3dancesmiley:

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
The one I am thinking of ended up in a lake and pretty sure it was a Civic. My memory is not what it used to be now that I am a fossil so I could be totally wrong of course. But, if it was a common event to have one stolen I am sure we would be seeing postings on here about it all the time. Like you said, it is not the 90's anymore and they have done about everything a manufacturer can do to keep them from being targets. Maybe they can get a retinal scanner for the next generation theft deterrent.

Reactions: mt2013

·
Registered
176 Posts
Si's aren't as common as a Civic EX. Cars are almost always stolen to part out, so I'd think an EX is more likely to get stolen than an Si. Especially with its automatic transmission, which is worth a lot more parted out. It's only worth parting out a common car, as the parts are easier to sell. That being said, just make sure to get comprehensive insurance with a low deductible if you live in a crap area. That way you get a new car if your car is stolen for the cost of your deductible.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,986 Posts
what kind of lock? like the club? I know the Si is more tempting just wanna make sure I mean the civic is one of the most stolen cars.
I got wheel locks included by the dealer when I purchased the car. And I use a Club like device on the steering wheel. Nothing else.
As mentioned above nothing will stop the pros from stealing your car if they want it but IMHO wheel locks and steering wheel locks are good deterrents if those devices make the thief's think twice and move on to another vehicle then it's a win for me.

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
The one I am thinking of ended up in a lake and pretty sure it was a Civic. My memory is not what it used to be now that I am a fossil so I could be totally wrong of course. But, if it was a common event to have one stolen I am sure we would be seeing postings on here about it all the time. Like you said, it is not the 90's anymore and they have done about everything a manufacturer can do to keep them from being targets. Maybe they can get a retinal scanner for the next generation theft deterrent.
Lol wtf retinal scan?then you'll get nut job crack heads stealing your eye ball.
You never know.
Alrams don't scare thieves anymore like they used to either.that's why companies sell em so cheap now.if I remember right the 9th gen has a 2 part immobolizer
one on the ignition and one on the key.when those two connect then the "ok" signal is sent to the immobolizer in the ecu and ,fire in the hole.
so its hard to fire up the engine without a key nowadays.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
A steering wheel lock is also helpful for preventing air bag theft, which is rather common around here. One practice to help your car from being broken into is to keep the interior as clean and pristine as it was when you picked up from the dealership. In other words, have nothing laying around in the interior. Most break-ins around here are smash and grab affairs.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
First and foremost - lock the doors. Lost an ipod last week for forgetting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
LOL, even a bit more messy than cutting off fingertips to access a new i-phone?

Threads like this make me happy to live in a rural area where one's reputation of being armed and dangerous work wonders at protecting your stuff. I even managed to keep a 2000 Si from being stolen through 230,000 miles. That car was on the top 10 stolen car list for over a decade I think. Never had an alarm or wheel locks on that car.

Wheel locks probably have some utility value and perhaps a visual steering wheel lock just to deter idiots that don't know your car will be so hard to start. If you do have locks on your wheels don't forget to take them off every now and then if you are in an area of salted roads.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just try to stay out of bad area's. I had my 12' Si stolen around this time last year. I left my car unattended for about hours at a time as I had to park at a church parking lot a bit of a ways from my friends apartment parking lot where we were working on his car. I have a sensor in my car and I don't really leave my car unattended for long period of times around a bad area. My car was recovered in like a river and salvage. I eneded up getting another 12' Si. Best of Luck! I don't try to hard anymore because this shows that If someone wants your car they can and will take it. Just keep valuable items out of sight and lock the doors forsure!

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
So it was a river and not a lake! See my memory sucks nowadays.

At least I got the Civic part right.

Reactions: teamrubixcube

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Just goes to prove if they want to take your car (swimming) they will. Not much you can do about it at all.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
A glock or a 1911 should suffice :) haha
I had a kill switch hooked up in my old mustang that would cut out the fuel pump, worked great.
For me since I live in a ghetto area I try to park where I can see my car from the front room and patio and also my dealer hooked my car up with Karr security so it covers any belongings in the car and damage done to it I believe.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts