9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! First post on the forum, and I hope I'm posting in the right place. So, I'm going to be test driving a 2013 Civic Si next Saturday, and just from the pictures I can tell the previous owners have modified it a little. Looking at the picture, can anyone help me figure out what isn't stock?

What I can tell so far:
1. Intake line has an aftermarket stainless portion to it.
2. The intake manifold might be aftermarket?
3. Looks like there is an aftermarket fuel rail?
4. There is a breather on the valve cover.

Can anyone spot anything else I'm missing? Thanks
Hood Automotive lighting Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yes, the IM is an RBC manifold. Don't remember if the OEM coil plugs had the blue sticker on them. I know there's aftermarket coil plugs for these cars.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Pretty sure the blue piece you are seeing is the wiring harness connector, not the actual coil itself. If memory serves, there were a lot of blue colored connectors on my 2012.

As for the IM, I wonder of the car is tuned for the RBC? Nothing wrong with that just be sure that a modified ecu is bot a problem for inspection/emissions in your state.

Only other thing I see is that the radiator shroud is removed/missing in the picture. Passenger headlight looks pretty cloudy as well.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I would not buy the car if the owner can't provide the OEM parts that were replaced with aftermarket.
Also, if you are in a state (like california) with strict emissions requirements and inspections, this car might not pass.
My guess is this car will not pass calif emissions testing.

Other states that follow CA emission rules.
Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty sure the blue piece you are seeing is the wiring harness connector, not the actual coil itself. If memory serves, there were a lot of blue colored connectors on my 2012.

As for the IM, I wonder of the car is tuned for the RBC? Nothing wrong with that just be sure that a modified ecu is bot a problem for inspection/emissions in your state.

Only other thing I see is that the radiator shroud is removed/missing in the picture. Passenger headlight looks pretty cloudy as well.

In PA it doesn't look like a modified ECU is an issue. I'm sure the rad shroud was removed because it might look better? And yeah, the headlight, I'll end up getting different ones for it anyway. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I would not buy the car if the owner can't provide the OEM parts that were replaced with aftermarket.
Also, if you are in a state (like california) with strict emissions requirements and inspections, this car might not pass.
My guess is this car will not pass calif emissions testing.

Other states that follow CA emission rules.
Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington
I'm buying from a used car dealer, so I'm positive I do not have access to the original parts. I live in PA, so I guess it would be an issue with emissions if the ECU is nothing but stock...

EDIT: I found that it's a law for used car dealers to inspect the car for safety and local emissions standards before selling. So, I'm pretty sure I'd be in the clear either way.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm buying from a used car dealer, so I'm positive I do not have access to the original parts. I live in PA, so I guess it would be an issue with emissions if the ECU is nothing but stock...

EDIT: I found that it's a law for used car dealers to inspect the car for safety and local emissions standards before selling. So, I'm pretty sure I'd be in the clear either way.
Check you local county emission laws. People have a misconception that emissions pertain to everywhere within the state. Here in VA, there's only a few counties that require emissions. The dealer might've gotten the car emission tested in a county with no emission requirement. Does your part of town have emission requirements? Not all counties in PA require emissions.

Reactions: BWill9886

·
Registered
3,064 Posts

Now that's comforting...

Just say'n that failing emissions compliance is not the time to beg for forgiveness.

·
Registered
495 Posts

I could be wrong and did a horrible job searching for parts when I converted to the coupe front end, but I don't think they have a shroud like the sedan? What you see is what they get. I recall being surprised by it.

Concur on the rest. The cloudy headlight got me thinking about accident damage and I noticed the two center upper grill "mounts" look like they are non-OEM (Compare that plastic to the rest and you can see they are more gray). Something happened to that front end if I were to guess. I would say it wasn't too bad though as everything else looks as it should.

The headlights could also be in normal shape for the mileage and the original grill "mounts" could have been broken when they installed that dumb looking horn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check you local county emission laws. People have a misconception that emissions pertain to everywhere within the state. Here in VA, there's only a few counties that require emissions. The dealer might've gotten the car emission tested in a county with no emission requirement. Does your part of town have emission requirements? Not all counties in PA require emissions.
Yes, my county does. On the PA DMV website, it says my county, for my(maybe mine soon) car, only tests OBD2 diagnostics and gas cap seal

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I could be wrong and did a horrible job searching for parts when I converted to the coupe front end, but I don't think they have a shroud like the sedan? What you see is what they get. I recall being surprised by it.

Concur on the rest. The cloudy headlight got me thinking about accident damage and I noticed the two center upper grill "mounts" look like they are non-OEM (Compare that plastic to the rest and you can see they are more gray). Something happened to that front end if I were to guess. I would say it wasn't too bad though as everything else looks as it should.

The headlights could also be in normal shape for the mileage and the original grill "mounts" could have been broken when they installed that dumb looking horn.
Very good eye, thank you. And yes, the car fax report said there was a front end animal collision at like 50,000 miles or something. No air bags deployed and considered "mild to moderate" severity.

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
I wouldn't buy a used car right now let alone one with those parts cuz the car will run like dog doodoo. Facts.but more importantly don't buy a used car right now. They're overpriced. I say this cuz I'm making a killing buying and selling em 🤣

1 - 13 of 13 Posts