9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In August, 2012. An extreme hail storm went through my city, one of the Honda dealerships got their inventory POUNDED. So I bought a brand new 2012 Civic EX sedan that's full hail damage, it was a decent discounted price of course.

At first, I wasn't really sure when I was gonna have time to start working on my own hail project outside of my job, but thanks to our Canadian shit weather and our city having the highest douche drivers per capita in North America... I have no choice, but to move on with fixing the hail damage, AND the collision.

On with the hail repair portion, (waiting on parts for the collision, then paint, luckly no frame damage, just replacing parts)

I'm going to be using a techique called Paintless Dent Removal/Repair (automotive referes to PDR), now because of the extent of the damage (hail), it's not something where I (as a professional) would fix for a dealership and expect customers to purchase as brand new pricing. (IMHO, PDR method just won't make this particular storm damaged vehicle back to showroom condition). To fix it "proper" it'd be a combination of replacing body panel (new paint), some panels can be PDR, then some panels bodyfiller/repaint.

However, since it's my own vehicle and even when I sell it in a year or two, it'll be a USED vehicle. Plus, for this project, after my PDR labour, I plan to cover the entire vehicle with that 3M clear nose bra film, which would hide the PDR imperfections. (it's just that the dents are too big and deep, for PDR to get ever single dent perfect)

But in the interest in just posting something for others to read about... guess I'll talk about PDR... so started on the hood yesterday. And I'll show the difference in this industry. In today's automotive PDR is pretty wide spread, but just like tile work, auto detailing, tinting... there're a huge spectrum of results out there, within the same damage. Without even needing to compare to "competitors", I'd rather just blog about what I'VE done.

This is the hood hail damage on my car.

The depth of dents. (to our American friends, that coin we call "toonie" which is worth $2 two dollars, I guess it's about the size of your half-dollar coin). Notice in the photos I purposely captured the oorange peel (the ripple texture within the paint), this will be useful explaination later on.

Then I split the hood panel into 3 sections, labeled PDR#1, PDR#2, PDR#3

After a while, PDR#2 is complete. PDR#1 & 3 not so much

At last, all 3 section completed.

The industry (PDR) doesn't like talking about this alot, and usually the techs that does "decent work" (for the sake of preventing another PDR tech on here arguing with me, let's just say decent-work means to the eye of the beholder/customer)

But... there're already enough Youtube, Google, PDR forums out there in today's world (compared to 15 years ago when I got in) that, we CAN talk about the difference in work, in depth.

In the above overhead "finished" shot, (which is how most general public, non car-guys would pick up their PDR'ed cars, out in the parking lot, in the bright sun, then take off, without really looking into the work)

Now that we got the time, why don't we really take a look at each section's "finished" PDR work.

Here's section PDR#1

Here's PDR#2

Here's PDR#3

So there's the hood for y'all... In our industry, the results from all 3 sections is still defined as "PDR work", in this example, we didn't even have to involve competitors, trashing one shop while trying to brag about another, etc.., since all 3 "quality" was done by the same person/tech. (question is, pending on the customer, what the shop that hires the tech requires; is it a wholesaler that just wants a lowball labour cheap/quick as possible, or a factory finish for dealership new inventory for new car sales, etc...)

Not sure if this forum allows Youtube embedding, I'm gonna post this first then add some Youtube videos if it can be embedded.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'm gonna try embedding some Youtube videos of the hood here.

Here's the hood (before)

The hood (after), scanning all 3 section's PDR "finished repair"

Section PDR#2 done, working on #1 & 3

Section PDR#1 (before)

PDR#1 (after)

Section PDR#2 (before)

PDR#2 (after)

Section PDR#3 (before)

PDR#3 (after)

Might not interest all, but hopefully will interest some... I won't get this detail with every single panel, just as painful for me docuementing 'em as for u to watch it, hopefully I'll be able to do the full clear film wrap myself.

·
Community Director
3,405 Posts
This is very interesting to me. I never work on car's body before, but this seem like magic. I never thought you can smooth out all these damages, well at least this smooth. Now that I've seen this, you got your car at a steal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is very interesting to me. I never work on car's body before, but this seem like magic. I never thought you can smooth out all these damages, well at least this smooth. Now that I've seen this, you got your car at a steal.
Problem now is, I'm putting in sweat equity; more than the difference between a brand new price to my discounted price (kind of like a bodyman buying a complete roll over write off for cheap cuz market value labour and parts exceed the cost of vehicle market value... so the bodyman puts in OVER market value labour restoring the thing; but I'm kinda on my off season break from my regular work, so got a little bit of time to dick around.)

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
Nice work! I am impressed with the finished hood.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pretty cool. Can you show us a video of the PDR? I'm amazed. Just wondering on how you did it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
I sucked at doing this video (camera kept on focus/adjusting as I'm working)

Working on the trunk now, so basically you have to gain access from the backside of the panel (not "suction cup technology"), and every single dent is manually pushed out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got the trunk done, but I was going in and out of doing other stuff, friends pulled me for hockey, etc...

Sometimes the trunk's actually more deadly (harder/annoying) to PDR than the hood and roof panels, it may seem like it's smaller and compact, but it sure does throw a nasty punch. Mostly because usually trunks have more bracings and tighter spaces to gain a PDR tool to the backside of the dent to push.

Here's the trunk BEFORE

Section #2 (middle) complete, #1 & 3 in progress

Overhead shot of trunk "finished"... It may look good from a-far, but definitely far from good for certain sections.

Here's each sections and their break downs...

PDR# 1 (before)

PDR # 1 (after)

PDR # 2 (before)

PDR # 2 (after)

PDR # 3 (before)

PDR # 3 (after)

I'll post some videos of the trunk once they're done uploading, either Youtube is slow, or my computer and connection is. :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I just got these "OEM SYTLE fog lamps" off Ebay, probably the same ones that there're threads about. Does anybody know if that problem with the blown A/C fuse been solved? What was causing it?

So if I wire it directly to constant (+), would it still do that (blow the A/C fuse)

Thanks in advance on any info and/or cautions on these... Should I not even install these aftermarkets at all?

I mean the two hail damaged Si's I got from the dealers come with factory fog lamps (I bought those from the dealer's firesale and purely to pop the dents out then sell @ dealers auction), but so tempted to switch out this white EX (to flip/sell), and just drive an Si myself.

·
Banned
8,333 Posts
Wow! Unreal work! I fell on my hood last summer and there was a dent about the same size as you showed, toonie sized.... how do i fix that?! I was told it was unrepairable :pout:

·
Community Director
3,405 Posts
Wow! Unreal work! I fell on my hood last summer and there was a dent about the same size as you showed, toonie sized.... how do i fix that?! I was told it was unrepairable :pout:
Probably unrepairable by inexperience mechanic. Tom could probably pop it out in 5 mins.

·
Banned
8,333 Posts
Probably unrepairable by inexperience mechanic. Tom could probably pop it out in 5 mins.
yeh he looks like a pro!!!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ali, Check online to see if there is a paintless dent repair shop in your area.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for compliments, everybody. As mentioned look for a Paintless Dent Removal shop and ask for their opinion.

Fender and bumper painted.. :eek3dancesmiley:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts