9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question...but about the 10th Gen Civic. I saw someone say that the 1.5T engine had problems. Does anyone know if that is true,...and if true, what the problem is?

Thank you.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,252 Posts
Moved to Other Cars, as this section, as well as most others, is for 9th gen Civic only.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,252 Posts
Do you mean reliabilty problems or operational problems, because we have a 1.5T Accord, and the turbo lag is a pain in the patoot.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure...it might be that fuel dilution thing. I just heard about it. Not sure what it is all about and if Honda has fixed whatever it was. If I get a 10th gen civic, I'd like to know the engine is going to last.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
The 18 Civic has a extended warranty on the engine for carbon and fuel dilution. They just sent me a extended warranty for the AC condenser. When my wife drove the car with regular(33 to 36 mpg) it developed a rough idle. Since I drive it and now and use premium the rough idle is gone. I am getting 42 mpg in winter and can spin the wheels when ever I want. It's nice but I like the 9 the Gen better. It does not have any driveability characteristics of the 9th. It's more like the Acura RSX. It has a Sporter suspension and steering which makes it uncomfortable on extended hwy commutes. It's also has a more confined space inside with a wider stance about a foot on both sides which tends to be a bother when cars pull up.

It's also quicker than any Honda I've had and driven in.
Fuel dilution should not be an issue as long as you don't idle alot or drive alot of short trips. A little fuel in the oil is ok. The problem is the engine runs colder and is why short trips and excessive idle causes fuel dilution problem. I hooked a gauge and fuel trims are negative and the timing is adaptive even in open loop. It also does not support exhaust and intake temps like the 9th did. Other wise the other readings are similar to 9th ECU.

Newer Civic have no recalls or extended warranties that I know of or issues. Also have steering and lane assist which is nice on road trips. My new car has it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
You should ask the people on the CivicX forum for more info about the 10th gen. My understanding is that the direct injection spray is so fine that it can seep past the piston rings during cold starts. I'm not sure if this is an issue that can be rectified without a total redesign.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Ive read and talked to alot of people along with 30 years of experience in direct injection to know what the problem is. It takes me 15 miles of driving to get enough heat into the motor. Direct injection is a high pressure sprayed into the engine just before spark. It does not hit the valves and the carbon issues is from soot caused by partial combustion from oil vapor from knock. They tried to blame it on oil but it's actually a combination of things that can be controlled by the driver and using a quality gas. The motor has low friction oil ring which cause oil blow by in any engine but with a Direct injection motor which has a fuel psi of 1000 or more compared to 50 psi for a 9th Gen. Heat is what seals the motor and helps vaporize the fuel so with out heat you have issues. Vaporize fuel won't get past sealed piston rings.

It's basically a low compression diesel motor that runs on gasoline. I don't think it has the reliability of the past Honda motors but I don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, I might be done with the noisy and rough riding cars. Maybe I should just go with a crossover.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts