9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to San Diego and I find it unbelievable that they charge $50 for a smog inspection, what a rip off!

Anyway, I'm assuming a 3" downpipe with no CAT will fail a smog test?

What are my options here in Cali if I want to set up for a turbo?

Will I even be able to pass a California inspection with an aftermarket turbo?

This place is beautiful, but the liberal policies and hidden agenda are sickening.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Texan here -

My understanding is that your vehicle will need to be returned to factory spec, and that any add-on parts will need a CARB sticker on them to prove compliance with the air quality laws.

You might get a pass on some minor aspects of the inspection as you have a 49-state vehicle, but otherwise, prepare to spend money in order to get it to pass.

Suggestion: Get a friend to drive you (so they don't see your car) to an inspection station and ask the guys there what you need to do.

Chip H.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey I'm a Texan too!

What do you mean when you say I have a 49-state vehicle?

So any real modification I make would have to be taken off before an inspection?

That is ridiculous!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aftermarket down pipe and Cali smog inspection

Would I be able to pass a smog inspection with an aftermarket down pipe?

I want to start setting up for a turbo/supercharger but I live in Ca now.

I read that the parts would have to have some kind of stamp on them stating that the part is within regs or something dumb like that. ( I'm a Texan and I hate the liberal policies here)

Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
Would I be able to pass a smog inspection with an aftermarket down pipe?

I want to start setting up for a turbo/supercharger but I live in Ca now.

I read that the parts would have to have some kind of stamp on them stating that the part is within regs or something dumb like that. ( I'm a Texan and I hate the liberal policies here)

Any insight would be helpful, thanks.
Move out of there and only go back for visits! 48 cheaper states and 49 that are more emissions friendly!

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
Most, not all, aftermarket parts without a CARB EO# will fail the visual test. It is really up to the smog place to be kool with it or not. CA Law does require you to have a cat. So you will need it installed when getting a smog check. Regardless, it would be better to smog your car stock and once you are done, then you can throw your non-carb aftermarket parts back on. Exhaust is not really an issue when smoging. My previous EP3 passed smog with bolt ons, (carb legal Injen cai, carb legal Comptech shorty header and HKS Hi-Power Exhaust) when I was renewing my registration. He didn't care for my bolt ons. But last year when I had a buyer for my EP3 and smogged my car at a different smog place, I still passed smog with bolt ons but the person did take note of my carb eo# for the cai and shorty header.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
Double booked. Closed.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
doomaboom - run away from Cali!

Sorry, T_Virus, Sackoftomatoes is a nice town to visit :)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
50$? Dayum where in Cali do you live?
My shop down the street does it for 35$ if it passes, if it doesn't pass it's free
And yu can come back again and retake the test.
I had a carb legal cai in my last Honda and everything passed.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
50$? Dayum where in Cali do you live?
My shop down the street does it for 35$ if it passes, if it doesn't pass it's free
And yu can come back again and retake the test.
I had a carb legal cai in my last Honda and everything passed.
First post said San Diego...

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
hahaha...lol...I agree, Cali has the worst emission laws but it is a nice state to visit.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Find a smog place that'll "hook it up" they'll passs you forsure.

If they got honda's and acura's going there, then that means they do it under the table lol. Shhh.

- 2012 Honda Civic LX Sedan.
daily driven.

I love my R18.

·
Registered
345 Posts
doomaboom - run away from Cali!

Sorry, T_Virus, Sackoftomatoes is a nice town to visit :)
Haha, thats funny, i call it SackoPotatoes.

d_u_a_n_e
K24z7 crew member #420

Reactions: FooBird

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would leave if I could.. There's only one issue.... I'm stationed here in the Navy! Lol. I'll see what I can find as far as aftermarket parts. Does anyone know if a turbo would even have an EO number? It's going to make finding parts even harder for this darn car.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You're in the military? Check with base legal, but I think you have a year before you have to register your vehicle. I wouldn't automatically assume you need to plate it in CA.

When I was stationed at McClellan (now closed) in Sacramento, I ran out-of-state plates for the 13+ months I was there, even with an expired out-of-state inspection sticker.

Chip H.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're in the military? Check with base legal, but I think you have a year before you have to register your vehicle. I wouldn't automatically assume you need to plate it in CA.

When I was stationed at McClellan (now closed) in Sacramento, I ran out-of-state plates for the 13+ months I was there, even with an expired out-of-state inspection sticker.

Chip H.
I just bought it though, I am waiting for the plates now from the dealership. I'm not sure how long the registration is good for.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts