9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I own a 2014 civic hatchback (European model), 2 days ago I got a flat tire, the tpms light turned on after driving 2km on the spare tire (driving to the tire shop), I done a reset to the tpms system after the tire was fixed ( after the reset the tpms light turned off), yesterday I was driving for an hour on a speed of 110 120 kilometers per hour and approximate 100 km after the tire was fixed, the tpms light turned on again, checked the tire pressure everything was good, (also balanced the pressure for all 4 tires), now I have a question why the light when on again if I had no flat while driving ? Some internet info says it turned on due to calibration of pressure or something like it ?

·
Registered
340 Posts
weird.... you didnt need to reset anything, just fix the tire and drive it would reset the light in time.

is it the light back off now or is it staying on?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
weird.... you didnt need to reset anything, just fix the tire and drive it would reset the light in time.

is it the light back off now or is it staying on?
Now it’s off , but I drove about 6 km, also I checked the 4 tires for any kinds of screws or other items that can cause a flat tire but nothing was there.
I will check tomorrow again to see if any tire lost pressure, but for this moment every thing is good

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
165 Posts
I believe our cars have Indirect TPS, which gauges pressure based on RPMs of the tire. Theoretically the only things that would case the sensors to throw would be if the tire is spinning at a different speed than the rest, or if the sensor is going out.

That being said I run my winter tires with no sensors, and the TPMS sensors do not work reliably, lol.
With no sensors I'll tell you how long it took for my TPMS light to pop up each winter I've driven the car:
First three years I averaged around 750K a week commuting
5 months before system trip, sans sensor first year
2 weeks before trip
no trip
(COVID starts, driving averages MAYBE 150K per week)
2 months before trip
no trip
And this year we shall see!

2-3 years ago when I put my warm weather tires back on, recalibrated/reset the system, and my system tripped again, but went off on its own. It has not happened since.

Hopefully yours stays good!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,851 Posts
I believe our cars have Indirect TPS, which gauges pressure based on RPMs of the tire. Theoretically the only things that would case the sensors to throw would be if the tire is spinning at a different speed than the rest, or if the sensor is going out.

That being said I run my winter tires with no sensors, and the TPMS sensors do not work reliably, lol.
With no sensors I'll tell you how long it took for my TPMS light to pop up each winter I've driven the car:
2 weeks before trip
no trip
2 months before trip
no trip

2-3 years ago when I put my warm weather tires back on, recalibrated/reset the system, and my system tripped again, but went off on its own. It has not happened since.

If you have a 2014 then none of your wheels should have sensors, and should all work reliably afa the TPMS system goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I own a 2014 civic hatchback (European model), 2 days ago I got a flat tire, the tpms light turned on after driving 2km on the spare tire (driving to the tire shop), I done a reset to the tpms system after the tire was fixed ( after the reset the tpms light turned off), yesterday I was driving for an hour on a speed of 110 120 kilometers per hour and approximate 100 km after the tire was fixed, the tpms light turned on again, checked the tire pressure everything was good, (also balanced the pressure for all 4 tires), now I have a question why the light when on again if I had no flat while driving ? Some internet info says it turned on due to calibration of pressure or something like it ?
[/QUOTE
Hi,
That happened to me before, my notification for the tea PMS kept coming on I just kept recalibrating it until it didn’t happen no more. I had to re-calibrate it about three times before it stopped

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Hi,
Cannot be sure about European market cars.
But 2014 USA/North America model Civics came with indirect TPMS that uses the ABS/VSA wheel speed sensor data.
The early version of this system had many false warning, both positive and negative. But over the years the algorithm was refined and greatly reduced the false warnings. .

Also, if you didn't inflate all four tires, to spec whilst cold after the tire repair, that is probably the reason you got a false positive warning.

·
Registered
52 Posts

2 weeks before trip
no trip
2 months before trip
no trip

This is correct. 2014 Civics don't use TPMS sensors in the tires themselves. It's a computation of wheel speed. Which is actually (in my opinion) a superior system because the sensors add to maintenance costs and are prone to failure.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
This is correct. 2014 Civics don't use TPMS sensors in the tires themselves. It's a computation of wheel speed. Which is actually (in my opinion) a superior system because the sensors add to maintenance costs and are prone to failure.
In theory you are right on. Especially about maint cost. Quick search: $40~60 ea for aftermarket sensor, plus installation, plus programming; easily a $300 price tag.

But when an owner experiences multiple false positives (low pressure.) They may become indifferent to the low pressure warning and just drive on...
This very scenario nearly caused a catastrophic tire failure on a relative's car. Lucky for them, another motorist saw the low tire and alerted them to the nearly flat tire.
Car 2014 CR-v.

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
165 Posts
If you have a 2014 then none of your wheels should have sensors, and should all work reliably after the TPMS system goes.
It works reliably with a tripped sensor, but I sure did get charged to move the sensors when I replaced my wheels. And on my winter wheels when it trips, it stays tripped until the warm weather wheels go back on. It was roughly $300 when getting the sensors moved to my Enkei wheels.
I've been running steelies in the winter since I bought it in 2016, and tpms will go on sometime in the winter and won't go off until my warm weather tires go back on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It works reliably with a tripped sensor, but I sure did get charged to move the sensors when I replaced my wheels. And on my winter wheels when it trips, it stays tripped until the warm weather wheels go back on. It was roughly $300 when getting the sensors moved to my Enkei wheels.
I've been running steelies in the winter since I bought it in 2016, and tpms will go on sometime in the winter and won't go off until my warm weather tires go back on.
I don't understand. You're saying you were charged for TPMS sensors in your car which doesn't use them? That sounds like you need to go get a refund.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,851 Posts
2014s don't have wheel sensors.

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
165 Posts
Yeah I get what y'all are saying here, and it is news to me, lol. Ignorance on my part on the workings of an indirect system.
I have no logical explanation on why it behaves wonkily in the winter (as though it were an in wheel sensor) aside from it's a smaller wheel with a larger tire profile, and a narrower over all width so maybe that with fluctuating heat coupled with underinflating while cold and then driving for extended periods, created symptoms and flipped the TPMS i-MID warning that supported my ignorance? ¯\(ツ)

And I'd have to go find an old invoice to know if I was actually charged for sensors or if it's a price the person said on the phone because they also assumed, but I didn't actually pay.
Either way I have no plans of going back to that tire shop.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Yeah I get what y'all are saying here, and it is news to me, lol. Ignorance on my part on the workings of an indirect system.
I have no logical explanation on why it behaves wonkily in the winter (as though it were an in wheel sensor) aside from it's a smaller wheel with a larger tire profile, and a narrower over all width so maybe that with fluctuating heat coupled with underinflating while cold and then driving for extended periods, created symptoms and flipped the TPMS i-MID warning that supported my ignorance? ¯\(ツ)

And I'd have to go find an old invoice to know if I was actually charged for sensors or if it's a price the person said on the phone because they also assumed, but I didn't actually pay.
Either way I have no plans of going back to that tire shop.
With indirect TPMS tire size should not be a factor, assuming all 4 are the same size. That is have the same rolling diameter.

·
Registered
Supercharged 2014 Fb6
165 Posts
With indirect TPMS tire size should not be a factor, assuming all 4 are the same size. That is have the same rolling diameter.
We really NEED to keep doing this @Teeps ?
I was TRYING to help, but I was coming to the table with an ignorance at the foundation. I have admitted this (this is the second time actually).
It did take more than one response for me to realize what everyone was saying, I honestly missed some comments altogether, I am only human.

What I was saying after admitting I was wrong (hey there is a third explicit time!), is that I experienced symptoms that supported my ignorance.

I'm not stupid, again, I was ignorant to the foundational of the tech of this system. I understand the concept of how it all works, I never didn't, I just didn't know the what/where of the sensors measuring those rotations. And in hindsight, this information makes the "Indirect" part of the system make way more sense, lol.

Now, if you are just going to try to prove someone wrong, don't ignore bits of what they're putting down.
I mentioned underinflating and temperature. You can't ignore this information when you live in a state that will fluctuate 30-40 Degrees over night, regularly. That's a 3-4 PSI change without the wheels ever turning to heat up. May not something you have to worry about in the greater LA area, but some of us deal with it for near half of every year.

I'm really not hear to prove anything. Again I will say I WAS WRONG (hey that's four times now!). I was mistaken in my information that I started trying to help with. But thanks for the incredibly rudimentary YouTube video that ignores any of my stated environmental issues that YOU don't have to deal with ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,851 Posts
We really NEED to keep doing this @Teeps ?
I was TRYING to help, but I was coming to the table with an ignorance at the foundation. I have admitted this (this is the second time actually).
It did take more than one response for me to realize what everyone was saying, I honestly missed some comments altogether, I am only human.

What I was saying after admitting I was wrong (hey there is a third explicit time!), is that I experienced symptoms that supported my ignorance.

I'm not stupid, again, I was ignorant to the foundational of the tech of this system. I understand the concept of how it all works, I never didn't, I just didn't know the what/where of the sensors measuring those rotations. And in hindsight, this information makes the "Indirect" part of the system make way more sense, lol.

Now, if you are just going to try to prove someone wrong, don't ignore bits of what they're putting down.
I mentioned underinflating and temperature. You can't ignore this information when you live in a state that will fluctuate 30-40 Degrees over night, regularly. That's a 3-4 PSI change without the wheels ever turning to heat up. May not something you have to worry about in the greater LA area, but some of us deal with it for near half of every year.

I'm really not hear to prove anything. Again I will say I WAS WRONG (hey that's four times now!). I was mistaken in my information that I started trying to help with. But thanks for the incredibly rudimentary YouTube video that ignores any of my stated environmental issues that YOU don't have to deal with ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Strictly informational post by Teeps, as always. I don't quite know what you saw.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts