9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Question about the tpms system

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  scottyrocks 
#1 ·
Hi,
I own a 2014 civic hatchback (European model), 2 days ago I got a flat tire, the tpms light turned on after driving 2km on the spare tire (driving to the tire shop), I done a reset to the tpms system after the tire was fixed ( after the reset the tpms light turned off), yesterday I was driving for an hour on a speed of 110 120 kilometers per hour and approximate 100 km after the tire was fixed, the tpms light turned on again, checked the tire pressure everything was good, (also balanced the pressure for all 4 tires), now I have a question why the light when on again if I had no flat while driving ? Some internet info says it turned on due to calibration of pressure or something like it ?

#4 ·
I believe our cars have Indirect TPS, which gauges pressure based on RPMs of the tire. Theoretically the only things that would case the sensors to throw would be if the tire is spinning at a different speed than the rest, or if the sensor is going out.

That being said I run my winter tires with no sensors, and the TPMS sensors do not work reliably, lol.
With no sensors I'll tell you how long it took for my TPMS light to pop up each winter I've driven the car:
First three years I averaged around 750K a week commuting
5 months before system trip, sans sensor first year
2 weeks before trip
no trip
(COVID starts, driving averages MAYBE 150K per week)
2 months before trip
no trip
And this year we shall see!

2-3 years ago when I put my warm weather tires back on, recalibrated/reset the system, and my system tripped again, but went off on its own. It has not happened since.

Hopefully yours stays good!

#5 ·
If you have a 2014 then none of your wheels should have sensors, and should all work reliably afa the TPMS system goes.

#6 ·
Hi,
I own a 2014 civic hatchback (European model), 2 days ago I got a flat tire, the tpms light turned on after driving 2km on the spare tire (driving to the tire shop), I done a reset to the tpms system after the tire was fixed ( after the reset the tpms light turned off), yesterday I was driving for an hour on a speed of 110 120 kilometers per hour and approximate 100 km after the tire was fixed, the tpms light turned on again, checked the tire pressure everything was good, (also balanced the pressure for all 4 tires), now I have a question why the light when on again if I had no flat while driving ? Some internet info says it turned on due to calibration of pressure or something like it ?
[/QUOTE
Hi,
That happened to me before, my notification for the tea PMS kept coming on I just kept recalibrating it until it didn’t happen no more. I had to re-calibrate it about three times before it stopped

#7 ·
Hi,
Cannot be sure about European market cars.
But 2014 USA/North America model Civics came with indirect TPMS that uses the ABS/VSA wheel speed sensor data.
The early version of this system had many false warning, both positive and negative. But over the years the algorithm was refined and greatly reduced the false warnings. .

Also, if you didn't inflate all four tires, to spec whilst cold after the tire repair, that is probably the reason you got a false positive warning.

#13 ·
Yeah I get what y'all are saying here, and it is news to me, lol. Ignorance on my part on the workings of an indirect system.
I have no logical explanation on why it behaves wonkily in the winter (as though it were an in wheel sensor) aside from it's a smaller wheel with a larger tire profile, and a narrower over all width so maybe that with fluctuating heat coupled with underinflating while cold and then driving for extended periods, created symptoms and flipped the TPMS i-MID warning that supported my ignorance? ¯\(ツ)

And I'd have to go find an old invoice to know if I was actually charged for sensors or if it's a price the person said on the phone because they also assumed, but I didn't actually pay.
Either way I have no plans of going back to that tire shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.