9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stole this from facebook.

This is info for those who wonder what they can do to make their R18 faster. This car belongs to a younger enthusiast and he is full bolt on meaning intake, downpipe, exhaust, and tuned on Hondata(stock manifold because an aftermarket manifold is useless). An r18 wouldn’t really benefit from a manifold unless it was boosted.
This dyno reads whp(wheel horsepower) for those who don’t know. I usually assume there a 15% power loss from crank to wheels. Let’s do science to see what kind of gains were made.
Stock r18(2015) = 143hp/1.15 = 124whp
FBO r18(2015) = 155hp/1.15 = 135whp
When doing the same with torque, he gained about 20lb.ft of wheel torque.
If these gains are worth it for you, then expect to be spending at least $2k(fbo, Hondata, and tune). More if you don’t know how to install yourself.

Not that anybody knows how to google or search anymore, but maybe this will cut down on some repetitive threads.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hell I threw and intake and exhaust on my 2.0 8v jetta and that car was slower than hell. I like the noises.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm always shocked to see how long they were making that 8v for. That car had some proper 80s specs on it
If you ever wonder how they made the mk6 jetta so cheap there ya go. Car was a 2012 or so and still had that motor. But couldnt do a 16v head swap like the old days.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,615 Posts

This is info for those who wonder what they can do to make their R18 faster. This car belongs to a younger enthusiast and he is full bolt on meaning intake, downpipe, exhaust, and tuned on Hondata(stock manifold because an aftermarket manifold is useless). An r18 wouldn’t really benefit from a manifold unless it was boosted.
This dyno reads whp(wheel horsepower) for those who don’t know. I usually assume there a 15% power loss from crank to wheels. Let’s do science to see what kind of gains were made.
If these gains are worth it for you, then expect to be spending at least $2k(fbo, Hondata, and tune). More if you don’t know how to install yourself.

View attachment 492290
Not that anybody knows how to google or search anymore, but maybe this will cut down on some repetitive threads.
And, with that in mind, I have stickied the thread.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts

Wow, that engine really doesn't respond very much to bolts on. That's a good chunk of change spent, for it. eBay or DIY turbo kit might actually be less.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yay more info on the r18, i hate browsing facebook. Thanks for the sacrifice!

This is very disappointing though, Good thing im super charging next year (hopefully 200hp? ).

Now that i think about it, all have is a cat-delete header, a throttle response modifier and a raggedy rigged up cone air filter and i feel a bit more torque. So 200hp should be fun? 😅

Update: just put a rigged up exhaust system; dc header, factory midpipe, 28 inch thrush glasspack(cause i had it), factory muffler.

Im terrible, do yall think it'll scrape? X)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yay more info on the r18, i hate browsing facebook. Thanks for the sacrifice!

This is very disappointing though, Good thing im super charging next year (hopefully 200hp? ).

Now that i think about it, all have is a cat-delete header, a throttle response modifier and a raggedy rigged up cone air filter and i feel a bit more torque. So 200hp should be fun? 😅
That's a good chunk of change to be slower than a stock SI my friend.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yeah, not to be discouraging to R18 owners, but consider power builds on these engines very carefully. Its a lot of money that will make your car loud, less reliable, harder to drive and less efficient and you're still going to get smoked by an angry soccer mom in a Pilot.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah, not to be discouraging to R18 owners, but consider power builds on these engines very carefully. Its a lot of money that will make your car loud, less reliable, harder to drive and less efficient and you're still going to get smoked by an angry soccer mom in a Pilot.
Freaking suvs are quick! My coworker had to drive his moms pathfinder for a while and he'd beat our other coworkers "built" 01 Tahoe by a car length.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wont be using the JR rotrex kit (3.5k? Uh no)
The plan is to have a 15' genesis as my main car, then ill play with my civic, slowly building it. The cost of modding it shouldnt make a dent. Thats the plan, will it happen ? Idk but i do know that iwant my car to be a little bit more fun and that im too attached to it to just get an si.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the R18 post, I’m past the stage in my life where I want a loud and obnoxious daily driver. I’ve just kept my little econobox stock but I’m still debating on getting hondata and having it tuned just for a bit more responsiveness.

·
Registered
186 Posts
[
I turbod mine and It still runs like stock out of boost, and starts in 30 degree weather no problem. With bolt-ons I was beating Si sedans, with a Turbo on the R18 I'm pulling on Type R's, Mustangs, Camaros, G35's, 335i's, even a Porsche GT3 couldn't run away for this Turbo Eco box. All I need is a built motor so I can take down the pesky Mercedes Bois. So if your Si is getting beat by a Eco box with a driver mod why mod it?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts