9th Gen Civic Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
I Need A Vacation
14,052 Posts
[

I turbod mine and It still runs like stock out of boost, and starts in 30 degree weather no problem. With bolt-ons I was beating Si sedans, with a Turbo on the R18 I'm pulling on Type R's, Mustangs, Camaros, G35's, 335i's, even a Porsche GT3 couldn't run away for this Turbo Eco box. All I need is a built motor so I can take down the pesky Mercedes Bois. So if your Si is getting beat by a Eco box with a driver mod why mod it?
Nice. But if you had a Boosted Si than your maybe walking Type R's, Mustangs, Camaros, G35, 335i, neck to neck with GT3 and hanging with Mercs for the same amount of money or less than you spent on your R18 which is the point of the thread.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
[

I turbod mine and It still runs like stock out of boost, and starts in 30 degree weather no problem. With bolt-ons I was beating Si sedans, with a Turbo on the R18 I'm pulling on Type R's, Mustangs, Camaros, G35's, 335i's, even a Porsche GT3 couldn't run away for this Turbo Eco box. All I need is a built motor so I can take down the pesky Mercedes Bois. So if your Si is getting beat by a Eco box with a driver mod why mod it?
I also have a hard time believing you were beating Si sedans with bolt ons, unless it was the drivers first time driving a manual, and they didn't know they were racing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I know it's hard to believe, but the Si sedan is an easy target for a well seasoned R18 driver. Makes nice work of Sedans in the twisties as well. Miatas can't even keep up to this notorious R18, Ha think again you fool!

Also at the time, I had gutted the interior and removed the crash bars lol. Keep in mind a Si Sedan is 2,900LBs while an R18 EX comes in at 2,600LBs stock so about 2,500 with that much **** removed. I had also had Flash Pro with the bolt-ons. So I probably was making 150whp or more since I also was practically at Sea level right next to the Beach.

Ok, we can also get into the cost. Cause everyone says, buy dat Si boi it's so fast. You got hot girl in your Si, you get no hot girl in R18, buy Si for more hot girl.

R18 Civic mine was 13k

9th Gen Si 19k-25k

R18 Full Coverage $850 yr

Si Full Coverage $1700 If you a good driver. Over $3k if your beastly 150ft-lbs of torque gets you tickets.

6 X 850 = 5,100.

I know you can just say **** it and live at your Moms, and not pay insurance, but I don't live like that. After owning the R18 for 6 years I have saved a total of 5,100 the exact amount it cost to Build my Turbo Kit up with all Supporting mods. I never intended to mod a civic, but the Chasis on the FG3 Coupe is just so good.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I know it's hard to believe, but the Si sedan is an easy target for a well seasoned R18 driver. Makes nice work of Sedans in the twisties as well. Miatas can't even keep up to this notorious R18, Ha think again you fool!

Also at the time, I had gutted the interior and removed the crash bars lol. Keep in mind a Si Sedan is 2,900LBs while an R18 EX comes in at 2,600LBs stock so about 2,500 with that much **** removed. I had also had Flash Pro with the bolt-ons. So I probably was making 150whp or more since I also was practically at Sea level right next to the Beach.

Ok, we can also get into the cost. Cause everyone says, buy dat Si boi it's so fast. You got hot girl in your Si, you get no hot girl in R18, buy Si for more hot girl.

R18 Civic mine was 13k

9th Gen Si 19k-25k

Si Full Coverage $1700 If you a good driver. Over $3k if your beastly 150ft-lbs of torque gets you tickets.

6 X 850 = 5,100.

I know you can just say **** it and live at your Moms, and not pay insurance, but I don't live like that. After owning the R18 for 6 years I have saved a total of 5,100 the exact amount it cost to Build my Turbo Kit up with all Supporting mods. I never intended to mod a civic, but the Chasis on the FG3 Coupe is just so good.
I'm showing 2765lbs for ex, 2877 for si. 114lbs difference, or maybe that's the hot girl your speaking of? At any rate, many times it's been shown the r18 is a fantastic engine for longevity and fuel mileage.
Given the Si routinely makes north of 200whp with bolt ons and tune, and the r18 makes "150whp" with the same, it's puts us at 18.4 lbs per hp for the R18, and 14.3 lbs per hp for the Si. That's not getting into close ratio trans gears, limited slip diffs, etc.
That 4lbs per hp difference is a pretty big gap performance wise. Vs modern muscle car, it's a massive gap. Something is fishy.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

R18 Civic mine was 13k

9th Gen Si 19k-25k

6 X 850 = 5,100.

My full coverage is like $1200 a year with a very suspect driving history. I picked up my SI for 15.5K 3 years ago. Seeing as i've raced full bolt on R18 cars and driven them, there is no effing way one of those is keeping up with me when I was stock, and even less chance now that I'm FBO and tuned. If your R18 car was such a beast with FBO you wouldn't have gone turbo.

·
Registered
994 Posts

R18 Civic mine was 13k

9th Gen Si 19k-25k

6 X 850 = 5,100.

The elephant in the room here is the amount of money you've spent on mods. Also, comparing the cost effectiveness of buying a used LX for 13k to a new Si for 25k is not apples to apples. I guess a reductio ad absurdum of this idea would be: why ever buy a 9th gen at all, Si or otherwise? The 8th gen has identical performance and mod potential and its always cheaper. But cheaper still is a ratty old F body impala with a smallblock. Just pick one of those up and boost it and you have a 600HP car for $10k.

I'm a little skeptical about 150WHP from bolt ons on an R18. That would represent, what about a 20-25% increase in power output from bolt ons on an economy engine? You're the R18 expert, so I'll take your word for it, but it still speaks to the point we're all making here. Thats thousands of dollars in mods, an unusable interior and making your car unsafe in an accident just to try to get to where the Si is stock. Like Tusocks said, this still doesn't even consider the Si's gearing, LSD, grip, suspension or brakes.

Stock vs stock the Si is a much more engaging car to drive and has a significant performance gap over an LX or EX. As you start modding, each dollar buys you more with the k24 than it does with the r18 so the gap grows. It isn't that you can't make a fast R18, you've proven that you can. But that if you're going to make a fast 9th gen Civic, the Si is the better platform to do it on.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm showing 2765lbs for ex, 2877 for si. 114lbs difference, or maybe that's the hot girl your speaking of? At any rate, many times it's been shown the r18 is a fantastic engine for longevity and fuel mileage.
Given the Si routinely makes north of 200whp with bolt ons and tune, and the r18 makes "150whp" with the same, it's puts us at 18.4 lbs per hp for the R18, and 14.3 lbs per hp for the Si. That's not getting into close ratio trans gears, limited slip diffs, etc.
That 4lbs per hp difference is a pretty big gap performance wise. Vs modern muscle car, it's a massive gap. Something is fishy.
I was racing 100% stock Si sedans I'll give the Sedan the benefit. The 26**LB's is for the 2012 EX Coupe the EX-L Coupe comes in at 2,7**LB's
My full coverage is like $1200 a year with a very suspect driving history. I picked up my SI for 15.5K 3 years ago. Seeing as i've raced full bolt on R18 cars and driven them, there is no effing way one of those is keeping up with me when I was stock, and even less chance now that I'm FBO and tuned. If your R18 car was such a beast with FBO you wouldn't have gone turbo.
I went turbo when I saw that the Type R is also using an integrated exhaust manifold inside the head. I built this car as a Poor Mans Type R only reason why I went turbo.
Also R18 is 5 speed so longer gears Si 6 speed so shorter gears that makes a big difference too.
I now have a built trans with Mfactory Short Ratio, and LSD. Never drops out of power, but my top speed is only 129mph now.
The elephant in the room here is the amount of money you've spent on mods. Also, comparing the cost effectiveness of buying a used LX for 13k to a new Si for 25k is not apples to apples. I guess a reductio ad absurdum of this idea would be: why ever buy a 9th gen at all, Si or otherwise? The 8th gen has identical performance and mod potential and its always cheaper. But cheaper still is a ratty old F body impala with a smallblock. Just pick one of those up and boost it and you have a 600HP car for $10k.

I'm a little skeptical about 150WHP from bolt ons on an R18. That would represent, what about a 20-25% increase in power output from bolt ons on an economy engine? You're the R18 expert, so I'll take your word for it, but it still speaks to the point we're all making here. Thats thousands of dollars in mods, an unusable interior and making your car unsafe in an accident just to try to get to where the Si is stock. Like Tusocks said, this still doesn't even consider the Si's gearing, LSD, grip, suspension or brakes.

Stock vs stock the Si is a much more engaging car to drive and has a significant performance gap over an LX or EX. As you start modding, each dollar buys you more with the k24 than it does with the r18 so the gap grows. It isn't that you can't make a fast R18, you've proven that you can. But that if you're going to make a fast 9th gen Civic, the Si is the better platform to do it on.
Again I built this car a Poor man's Type R. With all the mods added up I'm still at half the price of a Type R. I don't think 600whp would even be fun, I don't live in Texas so I'd never get to use the power. Plus I like putting ever HP down to the ground. You're looking at over 10k just to boost a-Si if you don't bolt on the kit yourself. That's not even getting into Brakes, Wheels, and other Handling/Visual Mods. Also Handling > Power or else I'd probably be driving a ** Mustang right now.

·
Registered
2012 CBP FG4
514 Posts
I just like seeing folks putting in work on their whips. You did something that not many others are willing to do and I applaud that.

·
Registered
2015 LX Sedan, Manual, EX option package (moonroof, 16" alloy wheels)
13 Posts
Great post, thank you mods for sticky. This was exactly what I needed to see. I have been unsure if I should mod my 2015 LX but after seeing this post, I think I will just keep it stock and upgrade to an Si in the future.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Great post, thank you mods for sticky. This was exactly what I needed to see. I have been unsure if I should mod my 2015 LX but after seeing this post, I think I will just keep it stock and upgrade to an Si in the future.
Out of curiosity, what is a stage 1 weight reduction?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Usually stage 1 is removal of the jack and spare tire, however I also removed the trunk spare tire storage area cover and the sound dampening under the hood. Good for a dozen pounds or so.

·
I Need A Vacation
14,052 Posts
Usually stage 1 is removal of the jack and spare tire, however I also removed the trunk spare tire storage area cover and the sound dampening under the hood. Good for a dozen pounds or so.
Unless you race for a living where every tenth of a second matters why bother. What difference is 12 pounds going to make on a daily driver.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Unless you race for a living where every tenth of a second matters why bother. What difference is 12 pounds going to make on a daily driver.
I've spent $600 on 10HP before. Weight reduction is free. I say, add power and weight reduction 😜.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You clearly don't have a friend in a Ford Focus who hates on Honda.
Nothing wins an arguement better than a race. ;)

·
I Need A Vacation
14,052 Posts
I've spent $600 on 10HP before. Weight reduction is free. I say, add power and weight reduction 😜.
I understand weight reduction but guy said he did what he did and managed to lose a whopping ~12 pounds which will have zero impact on performance so my point is why bother. Whereas that spare tire might actually come in handy if you have a blow out and your in the middle of nowhere.

·
I Need A Vacation
14,052 Posts

My racing days are long behind me but a Ford Focus vs R18 is that even considered a race.

·
Registered
994 Posts

Haha, who usually wins? A friend and I had a Focus rental for a day once. 160hp was pretty stout for a normal economy car back then, but the DCT tuning and chassis were TERRIBLE. That car threatened snap oversteer more than my old RSX. At the end of the day we lined it up with my basically stock Si for a goofy 40-70 pull, not trying to get a big ticket for drag racing 4 popper daily drivers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Haha, who usually wins? A friend and I had a Focus rental for a day once. 160hp was pretty stout for a normal economy car back then, but the DCT tuning and chassis were TERRIBLE. That car threatened snap oversteer more than my old RSX. At the end of the day we lined it up with my basically stock Si for a goofy 40-70 pull, not trying to get a big ticket for drag racing 4 popper daily drivers.

I am currently in the lead based off our previous races but he is building power every pay cheque trying to beat me. He just finished a dyno tune which puts him at 147 whp, but it's with the stock 5 speed auto where as I am running a 5 speed manual. I know auto's win drag races generally but he hasn't got the shift points tuned right yet so his car doesn't hit high revs very well. I suspect he might finally be ahead of me with the 147 whp dyno tune but he has been pretty reluctant to race lately due to me beating him multiple times already.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts