9th Gen Civic Forum banner
41 - 60 of 177 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! Looks like you and I are at about the same mileage. My commute itself is actually "only" 100 miles a day 5 days a week, but somehow I've managed to average anywhere from 300-500 miles on the weekends as everything and everyone I know is 100+ miles away. I'll be making a 1,300 mile round trip to New Orleans this coming weekend, so I should be around 41k by Monday.

How often do you do your oil changes?

Discussion starter · #42 ·
Thanks for the welcome! Looks like you and I are at about the same mileage. My commute itself is actually "only" 100 miles a day 5 days a week, but somehow I've managed to average anywhere from 300-500 miles on the weekends as everything and everyone I know is 100+ miles away. I'll be making a 1,300 mile round trip to New Orleans this coming weekend, so I should be around 41k by Monday.

How often do you do your oil changes?
My commute is 180 miles daily 4 days a week, sometimes 5. Otherwise the car just sits in the garage and we use my wife’s CRV to go everywhere. I change the oil every 7,500 miles using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Advaced Fuel Economy.

Reactions: jasper60103
The Civic will catch a little break Just went and picked up a 2004 Honda CRV that belonged to my friend's Mom. She bought it back in 2007 with 91k and 11 years later it is now at 268,000. She finally got a new one and offered it to me at a price I couldn't pass up. Needs a few minor things like a set of tires and the factory radio quit working... but overall still runs like a top, cold AC and she has kept it maintained and repaired as needed. Drove it 80 miles back to my house.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #49 ·
End of month mileage is 44370. A week of that was local driving too. I can't believe how fast I rack these miles up!

Discussion starter · #50 ·
The Civic will catch a little break Just went and picked up a 2004 Honda CRV that belonged to my friend's Mom. She bought it back in 2007 with 91k and 11 years later it is now at 268,000. She finally got a new one and offered it to me at a price I couldn't pass up. Needs a few minor things like a set of tires and the factory radio quit working... but overall still runs like a top, cold AC and she has kept it maintained and repaired as needed. Drove it 80 miles back to my house.
Great purchase! Let the Civic rest and run the CRV into the ground!

Discussion starter · #51 ·
So I have a question for you CVT owners. Every morning I turn my car on and let it warm up until the blue water light turns off then I drive a couple blocks until I get to the hwy and start driving. I get a hellacious vibration for a good while until the transmission warms up. Is this normal? Do y'all have that? My tires are balanced as of last Friday because that's what I was thinking but it continues to do it. I changed the transmission fluid about 4K miles ago and it was doing it before the change and now after the change.

So it feels like a tire vibration as in through the steering wheel while you're driving? Hmmm. I don't get that in my car, it is smooth as glass. The only CVT quirks I get are after making a rolling left or rightvturn and then re apply the throttle, the CVT gets confused and "shifts" up and down a couple times before it settles on a steady speed. And sometimes it seems slow to react to throttle input, but these seem more like software issues. No vibrations, though, even when cold.

Discussion starter · #53 ·
So it feels like a tire vibration as in through the steering wheel while you're driving? Hmmm. I don't get that in my car, it is smooth as glass. The only CVT quirks I get are after making a rolling left or rightvturn and then re apply the throttle, the CVT gets confused and "shifts" up and down a couple times before it settles on a steady speed. And sometimes it seems slow to react to throttle input, but these seem more like software issues. No vibrations, though, even when cold.
Thanks for the insight. I'll be making an appointment to have it looked at since I'm still under warranty.

don't know if you can do this...but, you can try to isolate it. don't let the car warm up...start it...wait about 10-15 seconds. start moving. if you have the vibration...can you shift to neutral, and see if the vibration is still there. if still there, probably a tire issue.

in neutral and no vibration, could be a tranny issue.

just a start to isolating it.

Discussion starter · #55 ·
don't know if you can do this...but, you can try to isolate it. don't let the car warm up...start it...wait about 10-15 seconds. start moving. if you have the vibration...can you shift to neutral, and see if the vibration is still there. if still there, probably a tire issue.

Ok, I’ll give that a try in the morning. This morning I let it warm up for quite awhile. It still vibrated but it didn’t last as long as it usually does.

Discussion starter · #59 ·

I tried this and when going to neutral the vibration fades away but it is still faintly there. It's all very weird though because as soon as the car completely warms up there is no more vibration. It only happens in the morning after letting it sit all night. I can let it sit all day at work and get it in and it's smooth, but sitting for over 12 hours is when it happens. I think I'm just going to ride it out and maybe buy a warranty when my powertrain warranty expires. The dealership said they charge a $120 diagnostic fee if nothing is found and I'm betting nothing will be found.

you may have said this earlier...but, when was the fluid changed last? have you checked the fluid level? might be worth the $30-40 to change it again. cheaper than the $120 to have a possible nothing is wrong charge.

i was going to say maybe the tires get flat spotted after sitting...but, you're in south texas and i don't think that happens often there, as much as it does here. my civic will vibrate for a few miles when leaving work when it's cooler outside. once on the highway, less than a mile from work...and up to speed...within another mile or two, everything smooths out. i should mention that happens to a much lesser degree since i put the Pirelli's on. the factory ones were the ones i was referencing too - continentals.

41 - 60 of 177 Posts