9th Gen Civic Forum banner

R18 High Mileage Club

52K views 176 replies 44 participants last post by  scottyrocks 
#1 ·
So as the title says I'm wanting to start an R18 High Mileage club. Unless the Mods decide to merge this with the SI High Mileage Club. Basically I'm in the military and I just transferred to TX where I will have a 180 miles commute round trip 4-5 days a week. This is going to be a way to track monthly mileage and reliability of the non-SI platform. I have a 2014 LX sedan with the CVT. Currently I have 20,656 miles on it and will start racking up the miles on Monday June 12th. I will update my mileage at the end of every month. If I can figure out how to post a pic I will, but photo bucket has been messed up for the last several months and won't let me share my pics.

2014 Sedan LX CVT, 20,656 miles.

#2 ·
Well, if the exclusionary Si guys ;) have their own High Mileage Club, why not one for the R18?! Have at it! :thumb:

#3 ·
'14 EX with almost 70K. i don't have it today as i have to take daughter's corolla in to body shop for estimate from wreck she had sunday.

only 'issue' i've had is this new rear brake issue that started recently.

Reactions: jkeis862
#4 ·
Well I'm glad it's been holding up relatively well. I just read on the Accord forum that a guy just traded his 2013 Accord LX CVT with 206,000 miles and never had an issue. There are also a bunch of high mileage Accords with CVT's that haven't had any issues. So, I think we're going to be alright with the CVT which was my biggest worry.

#7 ·
400K is the new 100K. It's mostly how you take care of the car but definitely not everything. I have a mechanic friend that works only on Jap cars that said he's busier than ever before due to replacing CVT belts early on every make. He hired a mechanic to do nothing but that. That speaks for itself. A Honda is a cheap car to buy. My dealer said he sees 600K mile and up Civic's every week. Why worry about miles? Just save a little money every month and pay cash for the next car (oh, that means I can't mod it thus ruining the longevity and resale). Except for the transmission (conventional), just follow book maintenance and at a million miles or so just tow it away and get another one. I predict the DI and turbo cars will fail sooner than the NA cars. It's been going on with Ford from the get go. But that's Ford.....a throw away car. Do the math and see how long it will take you to get to a million miles. With today's oils changed on time, it can and does happen.

#8 ·
I'm definitely not going to keep it that long. I'm just planning to keep it until about 200K and then sell it and buy a Pilot. With the amount of Accord's with CVT and 150K+ miles, I think it will be easy to obtain in the Civic.

#9 ·
So I started working at my new unit June 12th with 20,656 miles on my car. My end of the month report 22,216 miles. I also started car pooling with someone and this entire week my car has been parked.

#10 ·
End of month mileage was 25,243. Racking them up quickly. It will be parked for 2 weeks this month though since I'll be out of town.

#12 ·
Well between being out of state for a couple weeks for work and evacuating for Hurricane Harvey I didn't rack up a lot of miles this month. My end of month mileage is 26,895.

#20 ·
i'm trying to conserve mileage now...driving the non-gas sipping 4.3L sonoma once or twice a week now.

i'm going to be over 100K before it's paid for! and i'm trying to hold out until Honda puts the 1.5t in the HR-V for a replacement to the civic. if i am forced to replace prior to upgrading the HR-V, probably be a 2018 hatch.

#21 ·
That makes sense. I love the HRV but it definitely needs a power upgrade. At this rate I'll have about 130,000 miles on my R18 by the time I'm due to transfer in July 2020.

#34 ·
UPDATE: Just hit 49k on my 2013 Civic LX Sedan and had to replace the axle due to a torn axle boot! Never had an axle boot tear before, and I drive super lightly. I even slow down to 5mph for speed bumps! One of my front wheel bearings is also starting to go, it's gotten pretty noisy. Kinda lame as it seems like no one else on here has had any issues. BTW it has never been driven in/near snow.

#39 · (Edited)
I bought a 2015 pearl white EXL 2 months ago as a certified used car with 29k miles from a local Honda dealer. I bought it to drive 1,000+ miles a week, 90% highway. It has a CVT, so I'll be updating my mileage regularly along with any issues I run in to. I have a full warranty until 100k but I seriously doubt I'll need it for much. I've driven 10,000 miles since I bought it right after Christmas and so far zero issues. Sitting at 39,250 miles.

Attachments

#40 ·
Awesome! Welcome to the forum and welcome to the R18 club. I drive 700 miles a week give or take a little, so I've been racking them up quickly. I'm looking forward to watching those miles rack up!