9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I'm new here. So I got a 13 civic r18z1. I'd like to hear an know about mods for performance. It's hard to find stuff online to read due to the car not being old or to invested in but I'm all for save the single cams. What can I do bolt on wise for my car an I'd really like to know about the exaust mods also because my head has the "header" cast to the head I belive then right to a cat. What can I do to work this all out ! Please help !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also to add I havent read anything on here yet an I'm new to r series I have good experiences with d series I'm not a duel cam fan tbh. Also, please dont bash or come at me I'm here to learn !! All positive info welcome even negative if it helps me or my process ( not swapping motors ) js lol

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,462 Posts
Welcome to 9th gen.

The reason you can't find much online, even here, is that not a whole lot exists.

R18s are economy cars.

If you read through this site, you will find sections on what is available, and what people have put into their R18s.

Some common items are downpipes, cat-backs, air filters, and tuning (especially tuning). But to make any big difference, you'll have to consider forced induction, and then, if you do everything right, you may come up to the power level of a stock Si.

And then there is the very common, and valid, suggestion of trading it in for an Si.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to 9th gen.

The reason you can't find much online, even here, is that not a whole lot exists.

R18s are economy cars.

If you read through this site, you will find sections on what is available, and what people have put into their R18s.

Some common items are downpipes, cat-backs, air filters, and tuning (especially tuning). But to make any big difference, you'll have to consider forced induction, and then, if you do everything right, you may come up to the power level of a stock Si.

And then there is the very common, and valid, suggestion of trading it in for an Si.
Yea I dont wana trade the car in and I dont like I series tbh. An if people can make 200 hp on a d series I'm sure we can make more then stock si numbers with a r18 no one is really out here doing it yet. I totally understand that. I'm sure we can get close to 200 hp on all motor if a d16 can do it. The r18 I think could be a good motor to bulid. I'm hopeing I dont jabe to wait 10 years and then ppl start doing it because they got cheap like old civics now. Another question has anyone swaped a r18 into a 90s civic I have a 97 an would def like to throw this motor in there a guy I went to school with had a si mugen with a k20 bottom end an k24 head and Hondata an he struggled to keep up with my base 13 civic. What are tuneing options like an where would I start there? Do I need a standalone ecu or hondata or is there differnt ways ?

·
Registered
633 Posts
There are a ton of posts on this exact thing, you may find help by searching.

If you spend 20k on a 300hp N/A R18 build, I think everyone will welcome it.

Reactions: scottyrocks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd love to be here 15 years from now telling kids how to do good bulids when these cars s shit boxes ahahaha but I'm thinking of selling my 97 for 1500 or so an outing that into my car now. Any good companys making cams for this car, or any internals at all good pistons rods ect head parts anything ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There a Ebay kit money is tight an befor i look into it is the jdm r18 any better? I wana trans swap for stick from the jdm trans also I found trans for 600 to 700 with low miles online but I dont wana k swap or turbo till late tbh !!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Later* * I wana do bolt on parts, exaust, good plugs, coils, intakes, Tb, some rims for sure suspension mods if there are any recomendations im all open, also whats the widest tires i can run on my 13 lx 2 door. The car handles great btw ! So any input welcome for all around stuff !

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yea I dont wana trade the car in and I dont like I series tbh. An if people can make 200 hp on a d series I'm sure we can make more then stock si numbers with a r18 no one is really out here doing it yet. I totally understand that. I'm sure we can get close to 200 hp on all motor if a d16 can do it. The r18 I think could be a good motor to bulid. I'm hopeing I dont jabe to wait 10 years and then ppl start doing it because they got cheap like old civics now. Another question has anyone swaped a r18 into a 90s civic I have a 97 an would def like to throw this motor in there a guy I went to school with had a si mugen with a k20 bottom end an k24 head and Hondata an he struggled to keep up with my base 13 civic. What are tuneing options like an where would I start there? Do I need a standalone ecu or hondata or is there differnt ways ?
Sorry, but even the most minimal k24/k20 build is making twice the power your R18 is. That doesn't even take into account the gearing advantage the Si has to further compound its power advantage. This isn't anywhere near a close race.

To be blunt; what you're looking for simply doesn't exist. If you want NA power for cheap you're at the complete wrong starting point. You can do bolt ons, but this really isn't cost efficient. Price out what an intake, downpipe, motor mounts, exhaust, flashpro and a tune is actually going to cost. There's no way the 15hp you'll get from those mods will be worth the cost. Beyond that, there really aren't many off the shelf options for an R18.

Even if you go all out on an NA build, You'll still be behind stock K series numbers. The only way to cost effectively develop power here is with boost, but even after that, it wont be a very fast car.

You said money is tight right now. You'll spend the value of your car on mods just to try to make it as fast as a stock si. That doesn't include the increased cost in both time and money of dailying a heavily modified car. Put it this way, if you can't afford an Si, you definitely won't be able to afford to make an r18 as fast as an Si. If I were you, I'd leave the car stock and save up for a coyote 5.0 mustang.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Agree with Squidward. The R series has been around since what 2006 or so? There simply is no way to make an all motor R18 worth a shit IMO. Full bolt ons for 15 hp is not worth the $1500 or so it would cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so im back and i talk to National speed they can tune ir theu recommend flash pro an turbo i did read the vtec is differnt in the z1 vs a swries r18s also so i can make some power on it a few people have them tuned na an got about 20 hp gains stock with full bolt one i could maybe get another 25 hp so 45 max maybe 50 but give me a few months ill be back with updates im going to bulid it an blow it up a few times in the next 10 years we shall see ima 5 speed swap it sn get a jdm r18 gona see what happens then also may look in to this j swap i have an see it by chance it can fit the accords has a coupe the same year idk yet tho but hopefuly one day this helps someone people make power on 1.5 motors . it can be done with money

1 - 12 of 12 Posts