9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll start off by saying that I've searched the forum and Google, as well as other forums.

That being said...

I have a Valentine 1 that I'm wanting to hard-wire into my '12 Si Sedan. What I've learned from reading and attempting the install with a multimeter is that in 9th gen Civics, the map light wire tap won't work in the same manner that it would in the 8th gen cars (at least for how I, and most people for that matter, want them to run). For the older gen cars, you had to tap into a certain wire in the big harness, which differed in color from year to year, hence the need for a multimeter. In 9th gen cars, all of the wires are either always off or always on. There's no wire that is off until you turn the car on, which is what we ideally want in hard-wiring the radar.

All of that being said, the only real option is to tap into the fuse box under the driver's side interior of the car. I mean technically, you could go to the engine bay but I don't see the point. From what I've read, the best options are the ACC fuse or the head-unit's fuse. Can anyone provide a picture or diagram as to which fuse is which? Preferably for an Si Sedan, which I don't see why it would be different, if it even is.

Last question, my V1 hard-wire kit comes with that little blue clamp that you use to tap into a positive wire and plug the rest of the kit into it. What do I need to purchase to tap into the fuse box and how would that coincide with and/or replace the blue wire tap clamp that I currently have?

I hope this answers questions for anyone who was wondering about the map light and hope that some replies will clarify the fuse situation for me and anyone else that is trying to figure this out. I figured combining everything from the different posts scattered amongst the forum would be more convenient.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
462 Posts
You can use a tester to see what lights up with ignition on only. Then from there, use a "Mini Add a Fuse" to it. Doesn't matter what it is as it's adding it's own line.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I tapped mine to the actual 12v outlet with the T tap. and grounded to one of the bolts on the left foot driver side..
Thats what i was going to say...it doesn't get power w/o the car on so seems like that would the most obvious and easiest route.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You can use a tester to see what lights up with ignition on only. Then from there, use a "Mini Add a Fuse" to it. Doesn't matter what it is as it's adding it's own line.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I attempted this first before my other method and found that the fuses are set before the modules so it seems that they are always hot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tapped mine to the actual 12v outlet with the T tap. and grounded to one of the bolts on the left foot driver side..
So I can use the T-tap that came with the radar to tap into the wire that leads to the outlet from the fuse box in the drivers floor or do I pull the center console/dash out and tap into it there? Any idea which wire or fuse that will come from?

Also, I'm using a 4-pronged phone cable to connect to the detector so I can run that wire from wherever. Would you suggest running it through the A-pillar and dropping it from the roof? That sounds like the easiest way to me unless you have a better suggestion.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
So I can use the T-tap that came with the radar to tap into the wire that leads to the outlet from the fuse box in the drivers floor or do I pull the center console/dash out and tap into it there? Any idea which wire or fuse that will come from?

Also, I'm using a 4-pronged phone cable to connect to the detector so I can run that wire from wherever. Would you suggest running it through the A-pillar and dropping it from the roof? That sounds like the easiest way to me unless you have a better suggestion.
Run it from the roof down the A pillar to the ground one to the bolt where all the others are grounded, and run the other wire to the center consol and T tap it there, would be the simplest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts