9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I went to the 100 Acre Wood rally race this weekend, and I have to say, my Si surprised me! Me and a bunch of friends drove 4 hours to go see the races in Salem MO, thats some unplowed back roads... The first location we went to, had a ice covered, very steep hill, my friends WRX went straight up, no problems. A Mazda Protege 5 wagon...slid back down while the wheels were spinning forward. A 300 (V6 non-awd) also slid back down. I figured why not, my Si went all the way up like it wasn't even trying! Then my friends EVO followed up just fine too.

A few stages later, there was several snow and ice covered roads, ignoring the sound of ice and snow scraping the bottom of my car, I flew along after the WRX with the Evo right behind me. The Mazda and 300 both got stuck and had to find another way.

The very last stage, was about 15 miles down a 1.5 lane wide road, never been plowed, and 20* outside, so it was all ice, with several up and down up and down steeeeeep hills. The Civic just drove along like it was made for the roads. The WRX and Evo were pretending to rally around everywhere, and my car just drove along like everything was fine.

Long story short, I didn't see any (except an amateur old Civic hatch) Hondas running in the race at all. With how my car had handled, a little higher suspension and I would have gone all out and played rally car out there, probable would have done better than a few of the actual racers too!
GoPro.jpg Night.jpg Day.jpg Front.jpg Engine.jpg

Reactions: jjcc

·
Registered
995 Posts
That is awsome, hard to take a newer car into such conditions. Our si's do we'll as long as we are stock height. I live in the desert and love to shoot. Now that I sold my truck, I am forced to ride my si into the desert on very rough pot holed dirt roads to get to the good shooting spots. I am always amazed how this little si performs. After the shoot I always take wash and detail the engine compartment, and clean the air filter. Can't wait for her to see some snow some day!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yea, I was very happily surprised at how it handled the conditions. I am about 2.5" lowered with no camber adjustment on the stiffest dampener settings. Drove like a champ through it all. If it was up higher I would have been able to run faster, but I'm scared of my oil pan getting hit. With how hard the ice was getting I wasn't sure how may solid hits an aluminum pan can take.

As for the tires, they are the factory Michelin something or anothers haha. I really have no idea what model they are, only that they are Michelin. Even on about 1-2* of negative camber they still ate snow and kept going.

Now I just need a warm place to detail it, theres dirt in places dirt should not be! Wash...clay bar...wax... Definatly needed after that trip!

Oh and the Subie and Evo owners were not too happy that my car could keep up. Thought their AWD was superior to Honda power! lmao!

·
Registered
18 Posts
thats really good to know being in the northeast and also worrying about snow and ice, ever since i bought my Si i have been at a debate on weather i should hold on to it for some time add some mods and so on...or look into something along the AWD drive line ie. Subie Audi so this makes me took at our cars in a whole new light again. thanks for that

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem. I'm thinking, with some snow tires, this car would dominate snow. I have my mods in my signature, and the FlashPro I believe helped me out a bit too. When accelerating quickly to go up a hill, I have my launch RPM at 2000PRM, and it launched almost like on dry pavement and limited how much the wheels spun T/C off btw.

The Exhaust hit every single piece of ice tho, it hangs down that low lol. Ping Ping Ping Ping everywhere I went.

As long as you know how to drive in the weather, the car should do fine, however left foot braking into corners cant be done with the E-Throttle... The brake just takes over and says stop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts