9th Gen Civic Forum banner

7021 - 7040 of 7072 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all! Not much of a rant but I'm currently driving stick and my aunt LOVES to comment on my driving and I was decelerating in third gear and she told me to change gears (my clutch was released already by the way). She then said I'd wear out my gears if I kept doing that. However I disagree, because you're not putting any strain on the gears or engine to spin faster to accelerate the car. I was just modulating the brakes.
Could I be wrong?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,355 Posts
You might wear out a clutch prematurely with less than smooth shifts (actually, clutch engagements), but your gears will be fine as long as you're not grinding them.

Your aunt needs to get her own car. ;)

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,024
I checked tire pressure this morning; all @ 34psi, no action needed.
Check motorcycle pressures before every ride.
Good advice for anyone that motorcycles. I do check pressure before every ride and I look carefully at each tire upon returning home to see if they picked up a nail or other foreign object. A flat on a motorcycle while riding is very different than a flat when you have 3 other wheels.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I checked tire pressure this morning; all @ 34psi, no action needed.
Check motorcycle pressures before every ride.
Good advice for anyone that motorcycles. I do check pressure before every ride and I look carefully at each tire upon returning home to see if they picked up a nail or other foreign object. A flat on a motorcycle while riding is very different than a flat when you have 3 other wheels.
Been there before, rear tire blew out and ofcourse it was wet roads. Low sided slid down the road into a part where it turned to a dirt road and also dipped so the bike caught fully compressed the suspension and I flew over the bike and woke back up to my friends pulling the dirt bike off of me. Had such a terrible bruise on my tail bone I couldn't sit for atleast a week

·
Registered
621 Posts
Put up a broken gpu card on eBay bid. It explicit says for parts or not working. In the last 10 minutes, I've had dumbshits message saying, "Oh, I didn't see it doesn't work, I'm not paying." You ******* retards, learn to READ! There is zero excuses not to. Every single item has the condition right under the title/link. Why do I even brother selling on ebay, I'll never know.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
So I'm not the only one. I never could quite "wrap my head" around a place like that. Doing business with strangers rated by strangers.
It works quite well at lease for me.

I've been buying stuff on eBay for over 15 years.
In the early days I ony made small purchases and figured if I got screwed; lesson learned.
Only got screwed (so to speak) one time and no money changed hands.
Won an auction for a video card. The seller backed out of the deal.

You can find a lot of stuff reasonably priced on eBay.
Recently I bought 8 CR2032 batteries for less than $8 shipped to my door.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,355 Posts

In the early days I ony made small purchases and figured if I got screwed; lesson learned.

I have had essentially the same type of experiences.

The key to ebay is to know what you are buying. The more complicated the product is the more you have to know.

Do your research on the seller. The ratings and comments are actually helpful if you take the time to read them. Too many of the same type of negative comment are a bad thing.

I've been using ebay for ~20 years, myself, and have had very few bad experiences, as in less than the fingers on one hand.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,032

No doubts about it for you. I've bought small, inconsequential things with good luck. I know people that use it like I use Amazon (hate not buying from the little guy). It just doesn't resonate well with me so I stay off of it unless I need something really unusual which is very seldom. I'm still alive and well without it. Maybe I just need to explore it a little more.

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,034
Hey, everyone has their comfort zone...
I have a cousin that does not purchase anything online.
There was a time when everyone did that. There was no "online" and somehow, mankind survived the ordeal......

Were we better off? We just "were".

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well fuuuuuuuuudge

Wife's 13" civic got smashed in the rear quarter by a pickup truck, probably gonna be totaled. Bought the car new and planned on keeping it a long time, but now, a used-to-be pristine car will be dismantled for parts.

Seems like such a waste.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well fuuuuuuuuudge

Wife's 13" civic got smashed in the rear quarter by a pickup truck, probably gonna be totaled. Bought the car new and planned on keeping it a long time, but now, a used-to-be pristine car will be dismantled for parts.

Seems like such a waste.
There's people that would buy a crunched quarter panel car to daily. You may get more out of parts though.

·
Baned
8,538 Posts
My rant? People who can't secure an aluminum ladder to their truck. If you've ever lost a ladder off your truck however you "secured" it you did it wrong. And then I got to run over your ladder to make sure it was good and dead in my lowered car at 75mph/120kph and mess up the front bumper and suspension alignment.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My rant? People who can't secure an aluminum ladder to their truck. If you've ever lost a ladder off your truck however you "secured" it you did it wrong. And then I got to run over your ladder to make sure it was good and dead in my lowered car at 75mph/120kph and mess up the front bumper and suspension alignment.
I saw an altima take one on the other day. Didn't quite make it. I would not be able to drive over a ladder.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,355 Posts
Yeah, I try not to drive behind those guys at anything approaching highway speeds.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Easy cure. Don't allow people to carry ladders outside a vehicle. But then there would have to be yet another government regulation and enforcement. Not going to happen. I don't follow vehicles with ladders on the outside of them. Nobody cares about you and your car as much as you do.

7021 - 7040 of 7072 Posts