9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im getting a ktuned throttle body and rbc manifold tomorrow. Do i need a spacers? So I don't have to match the port on the manifold? To make it fit and also if i decide to go back to stock tb ill be fine or spacers arent necessary?. One more question i have a skunk2 intake do i have to buy the coupler to connect it to the aftermarket TB? Thanks guys appreciate any help in advance! :)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
So im getting a ktuned throttle body and rbc manifold tomorrow. Do i need a spacers? So I don't have to match the port on the manifold? To make it fit and also if i decide to go back to stock tb ill be fine or spacers arent necessary?. One more question i have a skunk2 intake do i have to buy the coupler to connect it to the aftermarket TB? Thanks guys appreciate any help in advance! :)
What size throttle body did you get? Pretty sure the ktuned tb already has the proper bolt pattern for the rbc manifold and no spacer is required.
For the intake, yes you will need a different coupler if the aftermarket tb is larger than stock. Measure both before you take it all apart to make sure you have the correct coupler.
Also the rbc manifold changes the position of the tb so you may need a different shaped coupler to make it work. Skunk2 sells this for stock tb but I don't think they have one for aftermarket.
I would read up more before you take on the project.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What size throttle body did you get? Pretty sure the ktuned tb already has the proper bolt pattern for the rbc manifold and no spacer is required.
For the intake, yes you will need a different coupler if the aftermarket tb is larger than stock. Measure both before you take it all apart to make sure you have the correct coupler.
Also the rbc manifold changes the position of the tb so you may need a different shaped coupler to make it work. Skunk2 sells this for stock tb but I don't think they have one for aftermarket.

Thanks bro! Just keep me updated if you get more info about it man appreciate ur help :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Btw bro i have a skunk2 intake, and im getting ktuned tb 72mm and rbc. So idk what coupler would fit or if i still need spacers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi RJ.

The throttle body will bolt to the intake manifold no problem, pretty much everything dpetro said is correct. You should think about port matching the opening while you have the RBC sitting in front of you to get the most out of it. Having a 72MM TB with the stock port behind it will not take a full advantage of the TB. I have tuned a couple 8th gens with the 72MM TB's and port matched intakes which turned out very well. Just something to consider while you have the manifold sitting there prior to install.

I would check with Skunk to see if the https://skunk2.com/induction/intake-systems/9th-gen-coupler.html coupler works for what you're trying to do. Also, with going to the RBC you should have the tune gone over pretty well. I noticed in the tuning section you were playing with some basemaps a while back. The RBC plus the K-Tuned TB will need some tuning adjustments to get it right. If you want some help with the tuning side let me know.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Hi RJ.

The throttle body will bolt to the intake manifold no problem, pretty much everything dpetro said is correct. You should think about port matching the opening while you have the RBC sitting in front of you to get the most out of it. Having a 72MM TB with the stock port behind it will not take a full advantage of the TB. I have tuned a couple 8th gens with the 72MM TB's and port matched intakes which turned out very well. Just something to consider while you have the manifold sitting there prior to install.

I would check with Skunk to see if the https://skunk2.com/induction/intake-systems/9th-gen-coupler.html coupler works for what you're trying to do. Also, with going to the RBC you should have the tune gone over pretty well. I noticed in the tuning section you were playing with some basemaps a while back. The RBC plus the K-Tuned TB will need some tuning adjustments to get it right. If you want some help with the tuning side let me know.
Good link to the coupler, I'm just not sure that will fit over a 72mm tb.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good link to the coupler, I'm just not sure that will fit over a 72mm tb.

Yeah me neither. I tried to find some info for him about it but Skunk doesn't have any info on it in the description for the coupler. On the intake description, they do mention the need for a bigger coupler for a 72mm. You would think Skunk would sell one for a 72mm TB since they are becoming popular. But I guess it's hard to make a product for every parts combo out there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah me neither. I tried to find some info for him about it but Skunk doesn't have any info on it in the description for the coupler. On the intake description, they do mention the need for a bigger coupler for a 72mm. You would think Skunk would sell one for a 72mm TB since they are becoming popular. But I guess it's hard to make a product for every parts combo out there.
Hi, thanks for all the reply guys! Really helped me, and btw where do i get it ported the rbc?, also for the couplers i bought two of em coupler gram from skunk2 and coupler pro manifold it should fit I've seen it to my friend thats what he did but he had to cut the skunk2 CAI so it won't hit when he turns the wheel. Does the sk2 CAI will lose its potential if i cut 3/4 of it?. Btw bro im goin to dardan tune in Sand Diego so for tuning i think im good but if u could give me a basemap for my set up that would be nice:)Thanks in advance boiz!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, thanks for all the reply guys! Really helped me, and btw where do i get it ported the rbc?, also for the couplers i bought two of em coupler gram from skunk2 and coupler pro manifold it should fit I've seen it to my friend thats what he did but he had to cut the skunk2 CAI so it won't hit when he turns the wheel. Does the sk2 CAI will lose its potential if i cut 3/4 of it?. Btw bro im goin to dardan tune in Sand Diego so for tuning i think im good but if u could give me a basemap for my set up that would be nice:)Thanks in advance boiz!
You can probably port match it yourself. The K-Tuned TB will come with a properly sized gasket for your TB. Overlay the 72mm TB gasket onto the RBC opening and mark it with a pen. Then use a dremel type tool to open it up to the line you make. If you don't want to do it, still go in and overlay the gasket and mark the circle opening you want, then just about any hotrod shop, machine shop, something like that can do the work for you. It would be pretty hard to mess up yourself honestly, but I could understand why you would want someone who knows what they're doing to do it.

One thing to keep in mind, the cars I have tuned with the 72mm TB have maxed the injectors out. You might want to look into something like RDX injectors before you hit the dyno. Might check with Darden, he may be able to give you more info. But the cars I have tuned with the K-Tuned TB have maxed the OEM injectors out. If you go with RDXs, please for your sake get genuine OEM ones from Honda directly, or get them from PRL with the clips you need here OEM Honda RDX 410cc Fuel Injectors for $289 with the clips. You've probably heard, but there are fake RDXs out there being sold as OEM. They have been having issues that can be harmful to the engine if they happen to you. For less than $300 you can get them from PRL with the injectors clips you need and know they're OEM.

Sounds good on the couplers. I think you're on the right track. The Skunk intake won't lose any performance by trimming off 3/4". That intake shines because of the intake diameter, material, and filter location. I work with a lot of guys with short rams and the intake temps are 140* in moderately warm weather. Everyone I've worked with that has the Skunk intake have really good temps. Intake temps are a big part to getting good performance year round. The Acuity works good too, but in my experience the Skunk seems to yield better temps and performance. Though combination of other parts dictate performance, but intake temp wise the Skunk seems to be the best I've seen right now.

Yeah hit me up when you get everything installed and ready to run on the road. The K-Tuned TB requires a few flow settings to be adjusted to run right, which I have those values from K-Tuned. But I can help you get it dyno ready, it would take a few revisions to get it to my standards, I don't send people one file and let them go. Plus then maybe you can get before and after numbers from your dyno tune and I can see how my tune works out compared to theirs. I'm always willing to learn, the dyno is a great tool when used properly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can probably port match it yourself. The K-Tuned TB will come with a properly sized gasket for your TB. Overlay the 72mm TB gasket onto the RBC opening and mark it with a pen. Then use a dremel type tool to open it up to the line you make. If you don't want to do it, still go in and overlay the gasket and mark the circle opening you want, then just about any hotrod shop, machine shop, something like that can do the work for you. It would be pretty hard to mess up yourself honestly, but I could understand why you would want someone who knows what they're doing to do it.

One thing to keep in mind, the cars I have tuned with the 72mm TB have maxed the injectors out. You might want to look into something like RDX injectors before you hit the dyno. Might check with Darden, he may be able to give you more info. But the cars I have tuned with the K-Tuned TB have maxed the OEM injectors out. If you go with RDXs, please for your sake get genuine OEM ones from Honda directly, or get them from PRL with the clips you need here OEM Honda RDX 410cc Fuel Injectors for $289 with the clips. You've probably heard, but there are fake RDXs out there being sold as OEM. They have been having issues that can be harmful to the engine if they happen to you. For less than $300 you can get them from PRL with the injectors clips you need and know they're OEM.

Sounds good on the couplers. I think you're on the right track. The Skunk intake won't lose any performance by trimming off 3/4". That intake shines because of the intake diameter, material, and filter location. I work with a lot of guys with short rams and the intake temps are 140* in moderately warm weather. Everyone I've worked with that has the Skunk intake have really good temps. Intake temps are a big part to getting good performance year round. The Acuity works good too, but in my experience the Skunk seems to yield better temps and performance. Though combination of other parts dictate performance, but intake temp wise the Skunk seems to be the best I've seen right now.

Yeah hit me up when you get everything installed and ready to run on the road. The K-Tuned TB requires a few flow settings to be adjusted to run right, which I have those values from K-Tuned. But I can help you get it dyno ready, it would take a few revisions to get it to my standards, I don't send people one file and let them go. Plus then maybe you can get before and after numbers from your dyno tune and I can see how my tune works out compared to theirs. I'm always willing to learn, the dyno is a great tool when used properly.
Thanks man I appreciate you bro! And do i have to send you logs? So u can give me a basemap to run my set up after I installed it? Cuz once i got it installed im goin to get tuned straight up. Thanks man for the info im new to car scene still learning thank man!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks man I appreciate you bro! And do i have to send you logs? So u can give me a basemap to run my set up after I installed it? Cuz once i got it installed im goin to get tuned straight up. Thanks man for the info im new to car scene still learning thank man!
Yeah once you get it all together hit me up right before you finish all the installs and I'll get it going for you. One or two datalogs and we'll have it close enough to get you to the dyno for sure. Every car is different, so I don't like sending people one file and letting them go. One or two revisions and it will be 90%. I can definitely help get you going though no problem. Just keep me in the loop.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah once you get it all together hit me up right before you finish all the installs and I'll get it going for you. One or two datalogs and we'll have it close enough to get you to the dyno for sure. Every car is different, so I don't like sending people one file and letting them go. One or two revisions and it will be 90%. I can definitely help get you going though no problem. Just keep me in the loop.
I asked around and the price just to port match it they said its around 400 bucks like wth online it's cheaper to port everything out is around 300 and they gonna do it cut the manifold like customize the rbc manifold for me and thats way cheaper than just my local shop just to port my manifold💀 i think i might just stick with stock rbc and not port match it with my tb but man thats a waste i would get more power if i ported it out💀

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey bro btw so when I installed my downpipe, rn after i drove crazy in the freeway i have like 160 knocks thats bad right? Cuz i heard knock sensor can knock any noise that coming from my car so like exhaust and other stuffs etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I asked around and the price just to port match it they said its around 400 bucks like wth online it's cheaper to port everything out is around 300 and they gonna do it cut the manifold like customize the rbc manifold for me and thats way cheaper than just my local shop just to port my manifold💀 i think i might just stick with stock rbc and not port match it with my tb but man thats a waste i would get more power if i ported it out💀
I have never been involved with an install personally. The little I know of the swap is I think you need spacers for the injector rail to bolt tight to the RBC, as shown in the video. I also forgot you have to swap the injectors to 8th gen injectors because the injector bore is too small for RDXs or 9th gen injectors. Otherwise you have to bore it out for the injector size. Here is a write up on it, a video on the install, and a link to the PRL swap kit. They should shed some light on what you need. The video also shows how the guy modded his Skunk intake for your reference.

Hey bro btw so when I installed my downpipe, rn after i drove crazy in the freeway i have like 160 knocks thats bad right? Cuz i heard knock sensor can knock any noise that coming from my car so like exhaust and other stuffs etc.
That is a lot of knock yes. Are you hearing any noises from the DP. More efficient setups can cause some excessive knock too, but that is a lot. Shoot me a PM with your email address and I will have you send me a datalog and the cralibration you're driving on. Then I can look it over and see what we can do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have never been involved with an install personally. The little I know of the swap is I think you need spacers for the injector rail to bolt tight to the RBC, as shown in the video. I also forgot you have to swap the injectors to 8th gen injectors because the injector bore is too small for RDXs or 9th gen injectors. Otherwise you have to bore it out for the injector size. Here is a write up on it, a video on the install, and a link to the PRL swap kit. They should shed some light on what you need. The video also shows how the guy modded his Skunk intake for your reference.

That is a lot of knock yes. Are you hearing any noises from the DP. More efficient setups can cause some excessive knock too, but that is a lot. Shoot me a PM with your email address and I will have you send me a datalog and the cralibration you're driving on. Then I can look it over and see what we can do.
Yeah i have a dp and have a small leak and its noisy plus i have a rear mounts and n1 invidia exhaust so i think the other knocks comes from there but when i drive normal i barely get knocks when i drive normal for like 30 mins i get like 2 to 5 knocks but when i drive crazy then i get crazy knocks. Nah its fine tbh ill get tuned next week anyways. Thank tho man if i get more knocks when i just drive normally then I'll shoot you out my email then i can send u data logs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

The vid u sent me i watched it and nah i think i can just bolt on the manifold i have a thermal gasket too i think i should be fine tbh with that idk if im gonna port my manifold tho its too expensive cuz the shop im tryna get it done, like when they do it they use a machine that cleans the manifold and ports it out im sure u know what im talking about so when they port it the whole manifold would be ported i just gotta mark how much i wanna get it ported.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The vid u sent me i watched it and nah i think i can just bolt on the manifold i have a thermal gasket too i think i should be fine tbh with that idk if im gonna port my manifold tho its too expensive cuz the shop im tryna get it done, like when they do it they use a machine that cleans the manifold and ports it out im sure u know what im talking about so when they port it the whole manifold would be ported i just gotta mark how much i wanna get it ported.
Sounds good. If you're going to run the stock TB then there is no reason to port it. With the 72mm, the manifold open becomes the choke point. Either way it will still be fun to drive once you get it sorted out. Make sure you let Darden know of the knock issues you've been having so he can address them on the dyno. I'm sure he would figure it out anyways, just saying it's nice to know of pre-existing issues before it goes on the dyno.

Keep us updated on how it goes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds good. If you're going to run the stock TB then there is no reason to port it. With the 72mm, the manifold open becomes the choke point. Either way it will still be fun to drive once you get it sorted out. Make sure you let Darden know of the knock issues you've been having so he can address them on the dyno. I'm sure he would figure it out anyways, just saying it's nice to know of pre-existing issues before it goes on the dyno.

Keep us updated on how it goes.
So i got Quoted for the rbc manifold for porting it they told me its 500 dollars. So I don't really know if it's worth it to get it done and prolly just get +4 hp with the ported rbc. Or what i can do is just to bolt it on, the rbc and the TB. Idk man i feel like it's not worth it thats too much money to just get it ported. What do ya think?

·
Registered
20 Posts
So i got Quoted for the rbc manifold for porting it they told me its 500 dollars. So I don't really know if it's worth it to get it done and prolly just get +4 hp with the ported rbc. Or what i can do is just to bolt it on, the rbc and the TB. Idk man i feel like it's not worth it thats too much money to just get it ported. What do ya think?
Definitely a lot of money for just porting the opening, that's why I was recommending you attempt to do it as a DIY. There is nothing magical about doing the port work, it just needs to be good, perfection isn't required essentially. Spend a couple hours grinding with a dremel type tool and take your time. At the end it would be worth it as a DIY, but not as a $500 paid job. Do you have any buddies that are somewhat into using a dremel and porting it?

You just can't take 100% advantage of the 72mm with a 64mm flange right behind it was all I was getting at. It should still provide some gains without porting it, just saying with all the effort you're doing to make the RBC work, trying to get every ounce from it you can might be worth it. But yes, you're right, at $500 it's not worth it necessarily. But you and a couple of buddies, some pizza, and some beers (preferably after the porting, haha), you would have a port matched RBC. There are a few videos on youtube on how to port the inlet on the RBC, you can see it's just time consuming, you can't really mess anything up because the grinding is such a slow process. With the RBC you will most likely lose some mid-range over the stock manifold, so anything you can do to get some of that back will benefit there and up top where the RBC shines.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definitely a lot of money for just porting the opening, that's why I was recommending you attempt to do it as a DIY. There is nothing magical about doing the port work, it just needs to be good, perfection isn't required essentially. Spend a couple hours grinding with a dremel type tool and take your time. At the end it would be worth it as a DIY, but not as a $500 paid job. Do you have any buddies that are somewhat into using a dremel and porting it?

You just can't take 100% advantage of the 72mm with a 64mm flange right behind it was all I was getting at. It should still provide some gains without porting it, just saying with all the effort you're doing to make the RBC work, trying to get every ounce from it you can might be worth it. But yes, you're right, at $500 it's not worth it necessarily. But you and a couple of buddies, some pizza, and some beers (preferably after the porting, haha), you would have a port matched RBC. There are a few videos on youtube on how to port the inlet on the RBC, you can see it's just time consuming, you can't really mess anything up because the grinding is such a slow process. With the RBC you will most likely lose some mid-range over the stock manifold, so anything you can do to get some of that back will benefit there and up top where the RBC shines.
Ik thanks man and nah I don't have any friends that can do that. So idk ill see still have a week left till i get tuned.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts