9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rattle in the back please HELP!

I have a 2012 honda civic coupe black. I had it for just over a month now, and I noticed that when I go over a bump(all the time) on the road or when i go up to a certain spee(sometimes) there is a small rattle on the rear side of my car. It sounds as if some screw got loose and its rattling against something. I don't know if this is normal or if i should get it checked out. has this happened to anyone before? does anyone know what the problem is? please pleas help me! thanks!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Does it sound like its coming from the tire area or inside? Defiantly have it checked out. Could be something simple or something serious. Wont know though until they look at it and thats what warranties are for. Yes some dealerships service departments are terrible and will tell you anything, but better to bring it in anyways just in case.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Couple of things to check. Remove the spare and see if there is any debris in the spare tire well. You can also check the area inside the interior side lining (step 4:.... http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/civic/2012/4dr/cargonet.pdf). Reach into the bottom and see if there is any debris. Be careful of sharp edges! If you have a cargo net thay may have also given you a spare rivnut (lol).
If you take the car back to the dealer do not accept the "It is normal" answer. Make them take you for a test drive in another coupe to prove it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a 2012 honda civic coupe black. I had it for just over a month now, and I noticed that when I go over a bump(all the time) on the road or when i go up to a certain spee(sometimes) there is a small rattle on the rear side of my car. It sounds as if some screw got loose and its rattling against something. I don't know if this is normal or if i should get it checked out. has this happened to anyone before? does anyone know what the problem is? please pleas help me! thanks!
That's a common problem with the Black ones. :icon_wave:

Joking, anyway, like mentioned, check the spare tire, the tool kit, and also make sure your tag is screwed tightly.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Also check the License plate, is it loose? Is it screwed down with 2 or 4 screws? Maybe that's vibrating against the other 2 plastic pieces where the bottom screws would go. Mine does it when i open/close the trunk, i need to get a few more screws to secure it.

Otherwise i would agree its gotta be something in the trunk area...
Good Luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Rattle in Rear

I have experienced a similar noise. Fold down the rear seat and you will notice plastic over sheet metal. I stuffed a couple of pieces of rubber tubing in between the metal and the plastic and guess what, problem solved.

Take a look for your self. I still have to determine what I want to put in there permanently. If you come up with anything good, let me know.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Also having this issue, sounds like its coming from the rear speaker area, @USCGCHief going to try out your seuggestion and see if this resolves the issue.

·
Registered
224 Posts
ok so just went out for a drive and thought i would see if this would solve my problem, i did notice a lot of play between the metal and the plastic behind the driver side rear seat, stuck empty burger wrapper between the space as a temporary fix and this reduce 90% of the rattle, there was still some rattle when hitting larger bumps or even if i turn the music up high, its coming from a section beside the speaker in the rear on the driver side, between the sub and the speaker.

i noticed that if i press down on the plastic from the top side, the rattle increases with the music, however if i press up from the metal side (while lying upside down in the trunk) the rattle is completely gone.

think i might try removing the back speaker/sub cover and dynamat it or something

·
Registered
74 Posts
Rear Rattle

Keep at it. My fix was a quick one and it took the edge off of it. I still have to get out and do a bit more work. I'm waiting for cooler wx; 115 here today and I just don't feel like doing it.

There is a lot of play back there and the plastic sits right on top of the body metal. If you come up with a permanent fix, let us all know. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all your help guys! i ended up taking it to the dealer and they said something between the metal and the plastic part of the back was intersecting one another so they had to make clearance for it. rattle is gone for the most part but when I go on the highway it starts to rattle again..so took it to the dealer but they couldn't reproduce the sound so they won't fix it under warranty...the hell.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
take it to another honda dealership

·
Registered
224 Posts
i called up my honda dealership because i wanted a more permanent fix, they said they have some sound dampening foam stuff they can put in and it should eliminate the sound, i just want to see how they remove the back panel so that i can do the dynamat myself later, but i'll try their free sollution first, appointment is next tuesday so i will report back and let you know how it goes lol.

@canucallmebob266, tell your dealership to try this for you as well, my dealership is olympic honda in guelph, so just let them know that other dealerships are offering to do this and they need to try it for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just started having this problem on my way back from work late last night. At first I thought something had fallen off of a tree and bounced off the back of the car, but I heard it a few more times. I think it happened each time there was a pothole.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I noticed a rattle when I close my trunk and I noticed the dealership left the two lower screws out of my plate and it vibrates there.

·
Registered
224 Posts
the rattle when you close your trunk is different, its because of the license plate. to fix that i got a new license plate frame from walmart for 10$ because the dealer one only lets you put 2 screws in the top and not the bottom, then i got this dynamat license plate peice from best buy for 14$, then when i put it all together i used 4 screws, there is absolutly NO rattle from the license plate now and it sounds solid when i close my trunk.

as for the rattle from the back, my car is at the dealership as we speak, they took it apart in the back behind the seats and they said there is new clips they use that are causing the rattle so they are putting some "sound absorbing foam" to get the rattle to stop, i pick it up tonight after work so i will let you guys know how it goes.

ps - they doing it all for free as they said that the warranty covers this, and they said that they havent heard of this issue at all yet as the cars are so new, so if you have this issue, call honda! they need to know about the problem or else it will never get fixed

·
Registered
224 Posts
ok so i picked up my car a few hours ago, drove it around for a good hour and guess what....NO MORE RATTLE!!

honda had to pull the back peice that covers the speakers and sub out, they used some sound absorbing tape aka sheet of thin foam stuff im assuming, and now the rattle is 100% gone, much better than my original burger king wrapper fix.

it was all covered under warranty so free of charge, but they did have my car for 24 hours, but thats because i dropped it off at 6:30pm yesterday and they closed at 8pm, then picked it up after work today which was 6:30pm

either way, not more rattle!

·
Registered
22 Posts
ok so i picked up my car a few hours ago, drove it around for a good hour and guess what....NO MORE RATTLE!!

honda had to pull the back peice that covers the speakers and sub out, they used some sound absorbing tape aka sheet of thin foam stuff im assuming, and now the rattle is 100% gone, much better than my original burger king wrapper fix.

it was all covered under warranty so free of charge, but they did have my car for 24 hours, but thats because i dropped it off at 6:30pm yesterday and they closed at 8pm, then picked it up after work today which was 6:30pm

either way, not more rattle!

thats good news!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also had that bumping noise from the back. I had my fiancee sit in the back on the rear passenger seat, and there was a snap and and if by magic, no more weird bumping sound. Something in the seat back, at least for me.

·
Read Only
108 Posts
I had a similar noise to that coming from the back...when I checked under the trunk lining to get to the spare tire I realized my sales rep put in a front end license plate holder in case I moved out of Florida (where we don't require it). It was very nice of him but it made me crap myself for a moment lol

1 - 20 of 56 Posts