9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to convert my rear disc drums to disc rotor brakes. I saw some old posts but nothing new. Does anybody sell conversion kits? if so where? If not, what parts do I need to order to do the conversion? Prices and part numbers are appreciated?

·
Registered
458 Posts
The title of this thread says that you have a 2015 Ex, if so then I believe the 2015 EX models have rear disc brakes factory installed

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,416 Posts
Yes, they do. If you are not the first owner, I cannot imagine anyone would have replaced an EX's rear discs with drums.

Before you buy anything, OP, are you sure you don't have an LX? Does your car have a touch screen and a sunroof?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
wonder if it's an overseas model? i don't know the specifics, but don't they have different designations and equipment? for example, canadian Si's have heated seats if i'm correct

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,416 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, they do. If you are not the first owner, I cannot imagine anyone would have replaced an EX's rear discs with drums.

Before you buy anything, OP, are you sure you don't have an LX? Does your car have a touch screen and a sunroof?
I do have a an LX no sunroof, no foglights. I want to convert my drums to brake discs. What parts do I need to order and the prices. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Go to a junkyard and get a trailing arm assembly from an ex or si, if it hasn't been stripped it should have the brakes attached. You will need new lines and ebrake cables. I would reccommend changing the bushings in the arms before install. I don't know about the brake booster or prop valve since I haven't done this swap on a newer civic.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,416 Posts
Here's a DIY:

You really ought to do some research before posting questions. Then if you don't understand something, post away.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,416 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Go to a junkyard and get a trailing arm assembly from an ex or si, if it hasn't been stripped it should have the brakes attached. You will need new lines and e brake cables. I would recommend changing the bushings in the arms before install. I don't know about the brake booster or prop valve since I haven't done this swap on a newer civic.
So I when to car-part.com and called a bunch of junkyards, most of the rear brake assembliies arethe first think to go on the civics. There is nothing local within 150 miles that have a 9 gen civic and rear assembly intact. I know the dealerships are expensive, but what parts would i need to order? I am thinking of buying some parts every month so I then do the swap. I have a small business so I would just write it off as maintenance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
These should help

And this one aswell

I believe anything 2006-2015 is equal, only difference between 8th and 9th gen brake set ups is the ebrake cable lengths.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So I when to car-part.com and called a bunch of junkyards, most of the rear brake assembliies arethe first think to go on the civics. There is nothing local within 150 miles that have a 9 gen civic and rear assembly intact. I know the dealerships are expensive, but what parts would i need to order? I am thinking of buying some parts every month so I then do the swap. I have a small business so I would just write it off as maintenance.
Oh gosh, don't buy these new! I said in my writeup that the total cost of the conversion if purchased new was very expensive, and that's just for the parts. Just the hub and knuckle alone are $400 per side, plus you'll have to get the hubs pressed into the knuckles. If you have time to slowly buy parts, then you have time to wait out the junkyards. Call up AHparts, they ship to wherever you are. I see several suitable knuckles on eBay as well, but of course you'll get a better price if you call the seller directly and you can ask them to throw in stuff like the cables and lines and maybe even the various fasteners. I used knuckles off an EX in 2014 since it was the second most common trim after the LX and would be the easiest to acquire, but 6 years after I did this project, it should be no problem to find parts off the EX-L and maybe even Si trims. It's funny, I sold this car almost 2 years ago, but still get email notifications about this conversion from the forum.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Agree. Trying to buy these parts new from Honda is not worth it.

I hate to sounds like "that guy" but if you've got cash to drop 2k on rear brakes, why not put it towards an si.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
725 Posts
Oh gosh, don't buy these new! I said in my writeup that the total cost of the conversion if purchased new was very expensive, and that's just for the parts. Just the hub and knuckle alone are $400 per side, plus you'll have to get the hubs pressed into the knuckles. If you have time to slowly buy parts, then you have time to wait out the junkyards. Call up AHparts, they ship to wherever you are. I see several suitable knuckles on eBay as well, but of course you'll get a better price if you call the seller directly and you can ask them to throw in stuff like the cables and lines and maybe even the various fasteners. I used knuckles off an EX in 2014 since it was the second most common trim after the LX and would be the easiest to acquire, but 6 years after I did this project, it should be no problem to find parts off the EX-L and maybe even Si trims. It's funny, I sold this car almost 2 years ago, but still get email notifications about this conversion from the forum.
Holy shit, the man himself! That project looks like it would be fun but massive pain the ass too.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Agree. Trying to buy these parts new from Honda is not worth it.

I hate to sounds like "that guy" but if you've got cash to drop 2k on rear brakes, why not put it towards an si.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
You get out of here with that logic sir! How dare you

Reactions: dpetro1
1 - 18 of 18 Posts