9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Civic Coupe. I want to replace the rear sway bar bushings and I wonder if the wheels should be off the ground in order to do that? I have the Rhino ramps and I am not sure if I could just reverse the car on them and replace the bushings this way. Or the proper way is to have both rear wheels off the ground? Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe
725 Posts
I don't think it matters. I had the wheels on and off the ground and changed out the whole bar, bushings and endlinks. No noises or anything since then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! So you don't think that if the wheels are touching ground/ramps, the pressure will be too much on the bar? I am just afraid that it might move a lot if i start removing the bolts and the bushings one by one...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Guess I should have read the rest of it. Using ramps would put a load on it since it's just like being on the ground.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what I was given at the Honda dealership, using the VIN number of my car. Is it possible that they look so different? The difference in diameter is huge. The new one doesn't even go around the stabilizer bar all the way.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
This is what I was given at the Honda dealership, using the VIN number of my car. Is it possible that they look so different? The difference in diameter is huge. The new one doesn't even go around the stabilizer bar all the way.
Those are definitely not correct. Maybe they gave you the front by mistake?
What trim is your civic? Lx, si?

Also sway bar work should be done with the vehicle weight on the suspension. The sway bar has no load on it when the car sitting stationary. It can be done on jackstands but it might be hard to manipulate the bar.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I figured out what happened. First, I don't think they gave me the front ones, cuz I ordered it myself using the diagram on the dealership's website and also had them double check the part number and my VIN number and this came up, same bushings. I think the previous owner of the car had replaced the sway bar with a thicker one. The diameter of the stock one apparently is 16mm(that number was on the dealership bushings). I measured mine, it's 24 mm. Some older Hondas I see in Rockauto have similar size FRONT bushings. I found one front ones that look exactly like the one I took off the back of my vehicle. BUT, the sizes are 22 or 26 mm. I'll keep searching, and if not, I'll get the ones for the 22 mm. You think it would make a difference?
Also you think the car should be on ramps better than jacks while replacing those? I had it on two jacks with wheels off the ground when I took off and then put back on the one bushing. Didn't have any issues. I was just not certain if it won't be a problem if I have all the load on the bar while taking the bushings off.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If your bar is 24mm then only use 24mm bushings. Any chance there is a brand name or anything on the bar? What color is it?
Ramps or jacks stands are fine doesn't matter which way. Ramps is easier IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ramps are easier, I know. But there's one main difference. When on ramps, the load is on the bar. You think this might be a problem? The bar is black. I didn't see any brand name on it. Will look again.
The reason I am trying to replace the bushings, is a clunking noise coming from the rear end when going through speed bumps or little pot holes. They don't look really bad, as I took em off, the rubber is just a little cracked, at one end, that's it. But I decided to start with them, as they cost only $10-20. The links look good also, don't move when I try to put pressure on them. The only other thing that is moving a little bit when I grab it, are the upper control arms. Could that be the issue?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Could have swore clunking noises were from bad sway bar end links. I'd go with polyurethane bushings with greaseable brackets.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Ramps are easier, I know. But there's one main difference. When on ramps, the load is on the bar. You think this might be a problem? The bar is black. I didn't see any brand name on it. Will look again.
The reason I am trying to replace the bushings, is a clunking noise coming from the rear end when going through speed bumps or little pot holes. They don't look really bad, as I took em off, the rubber is just a little cracked, at one end, that's it. But I decided to start with them, as they cost only $10-20. The links look good also, don't move when I try to put pressure on them. The only other thing that is moving a little bit when I grab it, are the upper control arms. Could that be the issue?
The problem is you have the wrong bushings. You cannot use those as the sway bar is not going to be secured to the subframe properly. This may cause handling problems or noise.

24mm is very large for a rear sway are you sure you measured the correctly? Based of the old bushing in your picture, that looks pretty small, more like stock.

Did the new bushings have a part# on the bag? Also, you never mentioned what trim this is for, si?

·
I Need A Vacation
13,457 Posts
On 12-13 Si stock front sway bar I think is 21mm and stock rear sway bar is 18mm. Progressive made a 24mm RSB that came in a powder coated grey colour and Eibach made a 24mm RSB that came in a red colour. I installed the 24mm Progressive RSB shortly after I got the car it is a really stiff bar and dramatically changed the way the car drove. Looking back now the 24mm RSB was probably overkill for a street setup the 22mm RSB that Progressive also sold was probably enough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I did measure it correctly, it is 24 mm. We measured the bushing I took off the car in O'reily store as well, 24 mm diameter. The part number of the stock bushings is 52306-TR0-A51, but it does not matter, as apparently the sway bar is not stock. The stock bar as I said is 16 mm, as this number was on the bushings. My car is a 2013 Civic EX with 5 speed manual transmission. I found a topic where they talk about similar issue here:
The bar that's currently on my car is black/gray in color, I could not see anything on it as a manufacturer name or anything like that.
Found these in rockauto for now:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Those moogs should do the trick. 24mm bar, 24mm bushing, you are good to go.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,457 Posts
Yes, I did measure it correctly, it is 24 mm. We measured the bushing I took off the car in O'reily store as well, 24 mm diameter. The part number of the stock bushings is 52306-TR0-A51, but it does not matter, as apparently the sway bar is not stock. The stock bar as I said is 16 mm, as this number was on the bushings. My car is a 2013 Civic EX with 5 speed manual transmission. I found a topic where they talk about similar issue here:
The bar that's currently on my car is black/gray in color, I could not see anything on it as a manufacturer name or anything like that.
Found these in rockauto for now:
Sounds like you have the Progressive 24mm RSB that I mentioned above it came painted in a dark grey colour.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess that's it, yes. I do not find another 24 mm RSB. With this being said, are the sway bar links for that any different as well, or they should be stock?

·
I Need A Vacation
13,457 Posts
I guess that's it, yes. I do not find another 24 mm RSB. With this being said, are the sway bar links for that any different as well, or they should be stock?
The Progressive RSB came with its own sway bar endlinks to install with the bar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts