9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a silver 2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe and was wondering what people thought would look better Red or Black overlays for the tail lights? Blacked out or carbon fiber for the roof or don't change the roof at all.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,519 Posts
I like the design of the 9b-th ('14, '15) coupe tails, particularly the reverse lights, which on the 9a-th ('12, '13) were not nearly as attractive, so I would not cover them.

That being said, I think that blacked out tails only look good, or look best, on black cars, so go red.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking the same thing and going with the red! If I do a complete overlay of the light, should I swap out the amber blinker bulb for a white or red bulb?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,519 Posts
If the lens is red, the bulb should be white, imo, so it can be seen clearly while flashing. When off, it'll all look red.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info. to know! Thanks again for the help, I think I'm going to look into the red overlays and getting it done when I get my windows tinted!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the red JDM emblems on now and a red back tow hook on the way, so I agree the red overlay would look amazing. The only thing that stinks is that I live in new york and I found out that with inspections, I would never pass with an all red overlay :( but with a black overlay the clear light still shines through; allowing me to pass the inspection :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have a silver 2015 Honda Civic Si Coupe and was wondering what people thought would look better Red or Black overlays for the tail lights? Blacked out or carbon fiber for the roof or don't change the roof at all.
Red overlays, blacked out roof (gloss) I love the carbon fiber rood look (On a BMW), but it may look a bit riced out on a Civic.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really want to do the red overlays!!!!!! but with New York state inspection I wont pass unless a clear reverse light can be seen. I have only plasti-dipped tail lights before, when you do an overlay, do you cover the whole light or just the part that isn't red? Also, does anyone think it would look good if I didn't cover a small rectangular potion of where the reverse light is so a clear light still shines through? I am 100 percent vinyl wrapping the roof a gloss black and I plan on doing it myself once the weather gets a little better!

·
I Need A Vacation
13,623 Posts
I really want to do the red overlays!!!!!! but with New York state inspection I wont pass unless a clear reverse light can be seen. I have only plasti-dipped tail lights before, when you do an overlay, do you cover the whole light or just the part that isn't red? Also, does anyone think it would look good if I didn't cover a small rectangular potion of where the reverse light is so a clear light still shines through? I am 100 percent vinyl wrapping the roof a gloss black and I plan on doing it myself once the weather gets a little better!
The red overlays from Grafix expressions only covers the white part of the taillight red leaving the reverse part of the taillights uncovered.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately, the overlays for the coupe don't leave an area open for the reverse light. :-( However, I was thinking since the overlays are only 20 bucks and if the person doing my inspection makes me remove them, I could always just buy another set. Does anyone know if an overlay is easy to remove?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,519 Posts
The red overlays from Grafix expressions only covers the white part of the taillight red leaving the reverse part of the taillights uncovered.
Huh?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,519 Posts
If you're concerned about legality, you can always use a scissor and cut a strip away so the reverse shines white.

Using a '12 sedan for visuals:

Stock:
2012-honda-civic-sedan-4-door-auto-lx-tail-light_100352161_l.jpg

Full coverage:
2012-honda-civic-sedan-4-door-auto-lx-tail-light_100352161_l_full red.jpg

And strips cut away on either side:
2012-honda-civic-sedan-4-door-auto-lx-tail-light_100352161_l_red left.jpg 2012-honda-civic-sedan-4-door-auto-lx-tail-light_100352161_l_red right.jpg

You can also cut away the top or bottom is that suits your eye better.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help and suggestions! I'm going to buy the red overlays and just hope I pass inspection. If I don't end up passing I will just buy another set and do what Scotty Rocks suggested and just cut a small part for the light to shine through!

Before I buy the overlays for the tail lights I also came across overlays for the headlights which only covers the daytime running lights (first picture). What are peoples opinions of these and what color would you choose? I am trying to decide between transparent yellow and transparent dark smoke. The second picture, is a picture of my car for reference.

grfxp_9thgen_civic_coupe_fg4_DRL_overlays_tints.jpg 1c282517-6449-4816-a413-2547378d9814.jpg

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,519 Posts

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,519 Posts
Thanks for all the help and suggestions! I'm going to buy the red overlays and just hope I pass inspection. If I don't end up passing I will just buy another set and do what Scotty Rocks suggested and just cut a small part for the light to shine through!

Before I buy the overlays for the tail lights I also came across overlays for the headlights which only covers the daytime running lights (first picture). What are peoples opinions of these and what color would you choose? I am trying to decide between transparent yellow and transparent dark smoke. The second picture, is a picture of my car for reference.

View attachment 404001 View attachment 404009
You do know that a DRL overlay will reduce the effectiveness of your high beams, yes?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You do know that a DRL overlay will reduce the effectiveness of your high beams, yes?
Ya I know and that is a good point, but I live in a city and can't remember the last time I used my high beams since everything is so well illuminated. Plus, if I find that I am using them more and cannot see the road, I can just take them off. I can't tell if I will like them enough though. In your opinion, should I pass or go for it?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,519 Posts
Ya I know and that is a good point, but I live in a city and can't remember the last time I used my high beams since everything is so well illuminated. Plus, if I find that I am using them more and cannot see the road, I can just take them off. I can't tell if I will like them enough though. In your opinion, should I pass or go for it?
A lot of that, for me, depends on price.

Generally, if I have any doubts about an item for purchase, I pass until I am sure I want it.

If the item is (to you) inexpensive enough, and easily removable, it may be worth the time and expense. But that is your call.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts