9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda Civic SI (stock)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My red SI badge on the trunk lid is flaking. I wanted to restore back to factory by painting it red and leaving the crome outline but I couldn't find what color red this is. I want something permanent so no plastidip. Anybody have a color code or link to some paint and suggestions on how to paint it? I was hoping to not have to remove it and do it on the car but if I have to remove it I will.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,355 Posts
Just for informational purposes, pdip can be pretty permanent.

I've used it on a variety of surfaces, including white-lettering my tires where it is subject to constant flexing, and it has always stayed in place. And application is as easy as can be.

Of course, if you're going for originality it won't do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just for informational purposes, pdip can be pretty permanent.

I've used it on a variety of surfaces, including white-lettering my tires where it is subject to constant flexing, and it has always stayed in place. And application is as easy as can be.

Of course, if you're going for originality it won't do.
Oh didn't know that thanks. As long it's close don't mind if it's not exact I'll see what red's they have. Just want to be able to tell from afar.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,355 Posts
Afaik, there is just one red which is basically, well, red, and is pretty darn close to the Si badge red.

Pdip dries flat so get a can of gloss clear, too, if you want shine.

I had experimented with it on my last car because I had wanted to see if I wanted red badges. There is no gloss clear on it in this picture.

·
Registered
223 Posts
we used to use model paint and brush back in the day. any hobby store, get a (close to) red, one fine brush for edges and one thick or wide brush for the larger areas.

or a honda touch up pen, smooth it out with brushes.

are there any ‘overlay’ stickers online?

good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we used to use model paint and brush back in the day. any hobby store, get a (close to) red, one fine brush for edges and one thick or wide brush for the larger areas.

or a honda touch up pen, smooth it out with brushes.

are there any ‘overlay’ stickers online?

good luck
Oh I didn't think about model paint. I sent an email to Automotive Touchup to see what they recommended but model paint would be cheaper.

I was wondering how good it would look with just a bottle of touch up paint then I wouldn't have to worry about over spray especially for such a small area.

I didn't think about an overlay. Just looked and I only saw 1 option on etsy and said it wasn't meant to be permanent. Thanks for the idea though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Afaik, there is just one red which is basically, well, red, and is pretty darn close to the Si badge red.

Pdip dries flat so get a can of gloss clear, too, if you want shine.

I had experimented with it on my last car because I had wanted to see if I wanted red badges. There is no gloss clear on it in this picture. View attachment 491455
That red does look perfect. I have some gloss clear already so that could work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@scottyrocks I decided to try plastidip like you recommended but black now. The entire emblem went really smooth but I wanted the chrome border to show then it got messy. Any tips to get the inside plastidipped without the chrome border? I tried rubbing with a toothpick and a spudger. Some spots turn out ok but others are ragged and it's taking a long time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can use a razor blade to trim along the chrome border than peel away the dip from the border.
I was worried about a razor blade on the chrome that it would scratch it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your not actually contacting the chrome your trimming along the Si border.
I think we might be talking about 2 different things. If I wanted it to look like the "I" in the picture it turned out great, no problem. My problem comes when I try to get the chrome to show like it is partially in the "S". Even in the gap the plastidip is flush against the badge so the blade would have to touch it even if just a little.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,355 Posts
When I do stuff like that it's a very light touch and moving very slowly.

·
I Need A Vacation
13,261 Posts
To be honest such a small piece like that it is very tough to get it perfect if you can remove it than dip it you will get better results. I dipped the chrome part on my grille the other day which is a much bigger piece and the edges are not perfect.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be honest such a small piece like that it is very tough to get it perfect if you can remove it than dip it you will get better results. I dipped the chrome part on my grille the other day which is a much bigger piece and the edges are not perfect.
I'll have to get it as good as I can with the time I have. Not going to be perfect but I'll get the job done. See how long it lasts. Thought I would have more free time with the quarantine and all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts