9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I wanted to make a thread about this because there is very exciting stuff coming soon from Chris at Redshift. To give you the back story, I have had BC BR coilovers before. I liked them, but I had heard so many good things about the comfort level of Buddy Club N+ that I decided to give them a try, so I bought them and sold my BRs. I don't regret the N+ purchase as I do really like the comfort level of these coilovers, however the real soft rear spring rates always bugged me from a performance standpoint. The N+ is 7k front 4k rear, which would make them the lowest rear spring rate by far, of any 9th gen coilover. Ride comfort comes from the rear spring rate for the most part so this makes sense that they have a reputation for being so comfortable for the street. Buddy club perches do not allow the use of aftermarket springs like Hypercoil or Swift so the Redshift rear coilover kit was a great option to use different spring options, so I initially purchased that to increase the spring rate of the rear. In talking to Chris more, he expressed interest in the new BC DR coilover. This coilover is similar to the BR but the damper is mostly linear/slightly progressive through the adjustment range. The DR damper is digressive, meaning that initial reactions to the damper will be more harsh. This helps in quick body roll movements so this would be a great technical track and auto-x option. I have a set of BC DR coilovers on order with Swift 6k front 7k rear springs on the way. Chris is going to dyno the dampers to see how they perform out of the box and we may revalve, reoil and repiston them accordingly, but initial reports are positive those that have tested this model so far.

Here is a shot of the BC Racing DR coilover:

Why this post is important... Chris is planning on offering services to rebuild these dampers. The cool thing about BC Racing even from the factory, is that they will revalve to whatever spring rate you order, and you can order Swift springs as an upgrade from them, so right from the factory you can really customize these coilovers. They also market them to be user rebuildable to a certain extent, so they sell every part separately for you to fix should you need to. There has been success in installing Bilstein internals as well, so these have the potential (with proper tuning and dynoing) to be a very high performing coilover on the track for a very decent price. Chris is planning on running a custom BC DR setup next year and he is very confident that he can make these perform close to his current MCS setup (5,000 dollar triple adjustable damper) which would really be incredible.

I believe the BC Racing DR coilovers will retail for 1250, with Swift springs and custom work by Chris being additional costs. He is thinking for around the 2,000 price point, you can make these (and the BC BR series) a real serious setup.

My set is being made now, and will be shipped in 3 weeks to Chris for testing. We will see how the dampers perform on the dyno before making any decision to open them up and tinker. I will keep this thread updated but expect some exciting things in the future!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I look forward to your quality feedback. I'm currently not happy with the setup I chose to go with (spring/strut setup). I would love a setup that isn't such an aggressive drop.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That doesn't look like a very aggressive drop, or are you talking about looking for coilovers that aren't an aggressive drop? BC is not an aggressive drop. You can get the height to practically stock, maybe .5 inches lower than stock, down to 3 inches blow stock. Anything lower than 2 inches in this car is insane IMHO. My big rub with the N+ is the fact that at the highest setting buddy club recommends, it is a 2 inch drop.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think there is a miss with street setups and track setups. I'm definitely not wanting track setup on my daily with less than an inch ground clearance.

I'm curious what the new setup will be able to do in adjustability.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been talking to Chris for the last month or so it seems over and over. The DRs arrived at his doorstep last week and he is done testing them and they are on the way to me. I asked him to share the dyno graph if he still has them, so hopefully I will get those to post as well. Here is what he said when I asked what his initial findings were:

The dynos of the DR vs BR are interesting.... what is shows is that the DR compression is still extremely soft..... actually softer than the BR at 1 and 2 in/sec. I'm talking as soft as the BR. On the rebound side, they build force much faster but then don't create as much force at higher speed.

I'm a bit disappointed in how soft they are on the compression side... again like the BR and like Koni Sports. And rebound is good, especially with higher spring rates.

So, my sense is that the DR is better suited for higher spring rates but that they don't really move toward improved autocross/track performance, which tends to be a little more compression and less rebound below 5 in/sec... which the DR definitely doesn't do... in fact the BR does that better. It's backwards in a way.

I need to do a little more testing to figure out what I need to do. I haven't taken a DR shock apart yet to see what piston/shim config they have yet. For now, I'd say they are great for a street setup with spring rates higher than the standard 6/6. Doesn't make sense to get a 6/6 spring on the DR in fact. If you are talking about 10/14 or so, then it makes more sense. And I think you were talking about 7/8 or so... or a little stiffer than standard anyway. And I suppose that's good. I just don't have a very thorough understanding of what that means on the DR because I've not run them on my car. I'm at the point now where I think the need more low speed compression and less low speed rebound... but without doing any testing on the car, it's a bit premature to publish this as my final understanding on it all.

So, let me know what you'd like to do. It'll be a bit before I really know... like a couple months I think. I need to do more dynos, understand the pistons/shims, compare to the Bilstein pistons, etc. There is still much to do.

Here is what he said when I asked him how these would be for a street and weekend track setup:

They will be great for street and surely decent for autox and track. I took another BR front shock and 2 DR front shocks apart tonight. Saw the DR piston for the first time. It's digressive on both sides and has bigger rebound ports...perfect. fairly obvious that I will be able to do what I am wanting to do. The br piston rebound ports are smaller and likely cause more high velocity damping on the rebound side.

I am putting 7k/8k Swifts on mine. I will post pics once I receive them.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will add that Chris plans on testing and dissecting the internals to improve the performance. Sounds like out of the box they will be ok, although compression seems to be lacking. The real benefit here is that the DR rear dampers have larger pistons so the ability to modify the internals make the DR the best option right now tailer the setup to your needs.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
Probably a good setup, but it isn't made anymore is it? I haven't seen any real world testing on it.

evo is just racing spec coils with external reservoir that can adjust low speed and with additional capacity, with evo, it's now even harder to overheat this coils that is already superior at dissipate heat even without the external reservoir.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'd be interested to test this setup. If anyone is willing to send them to me, I'll do the dynos on the shocks and springs and whatever else... I like to disassemble kits to see how they are built. I'm happy to do that at no charge if anyone is interested. New or used kits.

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
evo is just racing spec coils with external reservoir that can adjust low speed and with additional capacity, with evo, it's now even harder to overheat this coils that is already superior at dissipate heat even without the external reservoir.
Yea but I would be really curious to see dynos. Actually I would love to see a 3rd party dyno of the N+ too... Not saying they are not good I have just never seen anyone give a comprehensive review with dynos on these.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Yea but I would be really curious to see dynos. Actually I would love to see a 3rd party dyno of the N+ too... Not saying they are not good I have just never seen anyone give a comprehensive review with dynos on these.
+1
Haven't seen any good reviews on these coils. I was looking at the racing spec and the n+. Redshift knows his stuff, wonder what kind of setup he can offer at the same price point(1-1.6k) compared to those two.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts