9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new at this, so I'm just asking:

I was reading some other forum where people were removing their bypass valve hose to make a blow off valve sound when they shift. They would take the hose off and cap the intake where the hose inserted. I'm so new to cars that it sounds cool but I don't know what the short/long term implications are? Maybe this only works on cars with a turbo....not sure??? What does anyone else think about this?

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
A bpv is on an automatic turbo application and a bov is an a manual turbo application Honda only made one vehicle with turbo and that was the rdx and even on that you can't disconnect the hose or else it would run into limp mode.we don't have turbos so you can't disconnect any kind of hose to give you the impression of a blow off Valve.hope that helps

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
52 Posts
It has nothing to do with manual or automatic Turbo applications. Its based on how the system is designed. Bypass valve takes the extra pressure left over from the Turbo when you shift, and dumps it back into the intake. The computer is designed to keep fuel pumping in this case to make sure to don't run too rich. A blow off valve dumps the extra pressure into the open atmosphere and the computer shuts off fuel during shifts. This is how it is on the mazdaspeed3. I used to own one and you could replace the factory bypass valve with an aftermarket blowoff, bypass, or universal unit. I went with an HKS one and went blow off... because it sounded sexier. But you had to tune the computer to know that the extra air wasn't coming when you shifted... or you could do some damage

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Reactions: JDM 4Dr Civic
1 - 5 of 5 Posts