9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got some vibration coming from the base of my a pillars that the dealer won't take the time to diagnose or fix.. (after 2 visits).
I bought some foam tape and want to correct the problem myself since i don't have the time to keep returning to the dealer just so they can tell me "we don't hear anything".

does anyone know how to pull off the a pillar interior panels? do i just heave on them until they pop off or is there a technique? i don't want to break the plastic.

thanks

·
Question Authority
6,424 Posts
I would not be too happy if the dealer blew me off two times on the same issue. Did you get a work order each of the two times you took your car in for the vibration? Consider always doing that when you take your car in for what you think is a problem. That's something they can't refuse to do if you stand your ground.

Not to fast forward too early, but pulling the Lemon Law on a dealer isn't really hard to do and win. It might be just a rattle but something worse than that is paying 20 something thousand bucks for a new car and the dealer refusing to service it under warranty. We're all different but it would be an icy day in hell before I fixed it myself when it was under warranty. Your dealer is disrespecting you. Just another 3 cents worth.

Reactions: FG4trout

·
Registered
896 Posts
If they are blowing you off call Honda and complain. Someone else on here did that and the dealership got a nice phone call from them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am annoyed with the dealer... Unfortunately the problem is only when the plastics are cold... So usually by the time I get there the vibration is almost gone. No excuse on their part... I normally would be all over them but just don't have the patience this time. I know how I can fix this... I just don't want to break the plastic when I take off them off... So if anyone has any expertise in taking the parts off I would appreciate it.. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There are two different kind of clips on the a pillar.. 1 two stage scab deployment clip near the top of the a pillar (closer to the roof) and a standard green clip near halfway mark of the a pillar.. First what you will do is remove the door seal(only where it makes contact with the a pillar is needed) now when you have that down. From the top of the pillar pull the garnish toward the right side of the car. |>>>| You will hear the clip come loose it wont let go of the garnish though (that is the reason why its called a scab clip. It will only give the scab enough room to deploy from behind the garnish and protect your head in case of a accident). Now go half way down the garnish and give a slight pull towards the right of the car to make sure the green clip pulled.

Now the second step is you need to pull the garnish towards the top of the car to slide the garnish off the clip. Be very careful when doing this you can scratch your roofliner if you rub the corners of the garnish against it. And the rest is self explanatory. I would recommend changing both clips when you reinstall the garnish. Hopefully I explained this good enough for you to understand. It always easier to show someone how to do it instead of telling them how to do it.

·
Car Care Ambassador
1,357 Posts
Before you go all nutz and rip things apart .. try this .. on the door where the noise is close to ... when its happening .. roll the window down just an 1/8" you will notice the whole top of the door shift when you do this.

I had a vibration type noise in my TL and eventually I tracked it down to the rubber at the top of the window being dry. Doesn't take a lot and was a dog to track down. Even sounded like it was coming from the dash/A pillar.

·
Baned
8,538 Posts
Shore would be nice if Shaner123 was still around to let us know if the problem was ever fixed. Thanks Hondroid, you're like a pre-Sunrooftech when it comes to taking apart the interior!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
106 Posts
i have the same problem! if i hold the bottom of the pillar near the tweeter the little rattle goes away,, my dealer seems to like me so should i get them to check it out?

·
Registered
168 Posts
There are two different kind of clips on the a pillar.. 1 two stage scab deployment clip near the top of the a pillar (closer to the roof) and a standard green clip near halfway mark of the a pillar.. First what you will do is remove the door seal(only where it makes contact with the a pillar is needed) now when you have that down. From the top of the pillar pull the garnish toward the right side of the car. |>>>| You will hear the clip come loose it wont let go of the garnish though (that is the reason why its called a scab clip. It will only give the scab enough room to deploy from behind the garnish and protect your head in case of a accident). Now go half way down the garnish and give a slight pull towards the right of the car to make sure the green clip pulled.

Now the second step is you need to pull the garnish towards the top of the car to slide the garnish off the clip. Be very careful when doing this you can scratch your roofliner if you rub the corners of the garnish against it. And the rest is self explanatory. I would recommend changing both clips when you reinstall the garnish. Hopefully I explained this good enough for you to understand. It always easier to show someone how to do it instead of telling them how to do it.
I know this is an old thread, but I appreciate the info.

I'm hardwiring my Valentine 1 and I just ordered a Gentex Mirror with HomeLink from CHH and I need to remove the a-pillar cover in order to route the wiring down to the fusebox in order to hook them up to the add-a-circuit. :happy:

While this is a really good explanation of how to remove it, if anyone knows the location of the College Hills Honda video that shows the a-pillar removal that was referenced several times while I was searching for this, I'd appreciate a link. (Yes, I searched YouTube and found the mirror installation videos, but didn't see one where the a-pillar cover wasn't already removed.)

Oh, and yes, I have fresh scab and regular clips for the re-install of the cover.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I appreciate the info.

I'm hardwiring my Valentine 1 and I just ordered a Gentex Mirror with HomeLink from CHH and I need to remove the a-pillar cover in order to route the wiring down to the fusebox in order to hook them up to the add-a-circuit. :happy:

While this is a really good explanation of how to remove it, if anyone knows the location of the College Hills Honda video that shows the a-pillar removal that was referenced several times while I was searching for this, I'd appreciate a link. (Yes, I searched YouTube and found the mirror installation videos, but didn't see one where the a-pillar cover wasn't already removed.)

Oh, and yes, I have fresh scab and regular clips for the re-install of the cover.

Not a video, but does this help:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/civic/2014/4dr/daynightmirror.pdf

·
Registered
89 Posts
Okay, I have just purchased a 2015 LX Coupe, and I'm gonna start the mods! Part of what I plan will involve running several wires up the A-pillar for custom-built overhead control panels. There is some good information here concerning removing the A-pillar trim, as when I first tried it myself, I encountered that funky clip toward the top of the A-pillar that I now see needs to be replaced every time the A-pillar trim is removed. But with the steps in that link posted above, it says that when re-installing the A-pillar cover, to refer to the service manual for the "correct overlap procedure." Can anyone tell me what that means and what needs to be done?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts